Learn to crochet? (8 Viewers)

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
@Puddleduck that’s such a shame your parents won’t put an LPA in place. But a very common misconception in the older generation.
You’re very wise to get yours sorted out. Living Wills are also a good idea. I keep meaning to do ours but life keeps getting in the way!
My 81yr old mum who is fit and healthy (apart from a recent knee replacement) insisted on doing LPAs for both finance and health several years ago, naming both myself and my sister as deputies.
When my dad died in 2005 she converted the attic of her bungalow to add another three bed or living rooms and a bathroom, so when she’s unable to look after herself she can employ a live in carer who will live upstairs.
Currently she enjoys square dancing several times a week, gardens most days when the weather is reasonable, goes to the gym and on walking holidays with her friends, so I don’t think the need for a live in carer is on the cards any time soon!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Realised far behind with crafts so decided to try a stone painting again. I can't watch videos on phone so went off memory and goofed ... a butterfly with a right side twice the size of the left ...but ... really found it relaxing

Going to try and do about 3 a week now.

20190106_150253.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Realised far behind with crafts so decided to try a stone painting again. I can't watch videos on phone so went off memory and goofed ... a butterfly with a right side twice the size of the left ...but ... really found it relaxing

View attachment 275566

Looks good to me. i don't paint except abstract on fabric!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Guess who ordered books with the gift tokens she was given at Christmas???????

Plus some more parts for my interchangeable tip knitting needles :) They take a bit of getting used to but within a few days I don't think I will change back to either straight needles or the fixed cord circular needles. And they pack away to almost nothing :) It is important to use the tool to fix the tip to the cord though!!!!!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

View attachment 275566
Beautiful Joy you are so clever:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Three of my books have arrived :) I tend to buy secondhand when they are significantly cheaper than new so sometimes have to wait a while. I can live with a few creased pages or discolouration on the spine if it means more for my pennies.

So already arrived are:

The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible which is a bit basic but might make me more adventurous with the different feet on my machine. I am glad I didn't pay full price for it :)

Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible which is fabulous. A few (very very few) garment patterns but it is the actual stitch samples and charts that make this book worth every penny. It's not for the novice knitter to say the least! It does have my fingers itching :)

Norwegian Sweater Techniques is a bit old fashioned but explains about how to cut hand knits to inset sleeves, neckbands and plackets. You could probably use the techniques on old garments to make changes to necklines. It goes into details about finishing and sewing shoulder seams. There are a lot of patterns, some of the classic Norwegian Ski Sweaters, and some that look really dated but could be brought up to date. I will be using the design and technique part of this book, maybe combining it with some of the charts in the Japanese book for a totally unique look! Again not for the novice but for anyone confident about pattern placement and knitting in the round it would be a useful addition.

Only 8 more items to arrive for me :) It's like Christmas!

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hello everyone and a belated Happy New Year to you all. I’ve been catching up on the thread and love seeing all your crafty creations.

I’ve been crocheting and frogging in equal quantities and have finished my lap blanket, a poncho and am now working on a wrap with some leftover yarn from other projects.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello everyone and a belated Happy New Year to you all. I’ve been catching up on the thread and love seeing all your crafty creations.

I’ve been crocheting and frogging in equal quantities and have finished my lap blanket, a poncho and am now working on a wrap with some leftover yarn from other projects.

Any photos Ven?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I LOVE that. You are very clever.
Ditto @scousebird

@movan your rock painting is lovely !

Did someone on here post a while ago about a woman who sells recycled fabric for quilt making ? I can’t quite remember where I read it but wanted to pass on the info to someone ?

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I haven't been on this thread for a while but still busy. Really hooked on crocheting the octopus for premature babies (as suggested by @Offagain) and now have sample balls of most of the recommended cottons. Up to now never been a fan of variegated wools/yarns but these are lovely, ranging from delicate shades to zingy ones and very suitable for octopus. I have even invested in posh crochet hooks in an effort to get an octopal to the required standard.

I have knitted three baby blankets, roughly 24" x 24" as required by the maternity department at the Norfolk and Norwich.

Last week I was teaching crochet at the Big C and pleased to say only one person has given up. On the programme later is crochet a cupcake and that could be a bit challenging for beginners. This morning I was teaching fabric flowers and we managed to get three different types completed in two hours. Next week a felt ladybird pincushion.

The quilting group I belong to has started a Mystery Quilt and, although I still have two quilts to make for my grandsons, I decided to join in. It hasn't cost me anything because I had just the right material in my stash so afternoons are spent sewing,vision and evenings in front of the television are for crochet or knitting. My reward for doing all that 'spring' cleaning before Christmas.:Grin:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I haven't been on this thread for a while but still busy. Really hooked on crocheting the octopus for premature babies (as suggested by @Offagain) and now have sample balls of most of the recommended cottons. Up to now never been a fan of variegated wools/yarns but these are lovely, ranging from delicate shades to zingy ones and very suitable for octopus. I have even invested in posh crochet hooks in an effort to get an octopal to the required standard.

I have knitted three baby blankets, roughly 24" x 24" as required by the maternity department at the Norfolk and Norwich.

Last week I was teaching crochet at the Big C and pleased to say only one person has given up. On the programme later is crochet a cupcake and that could be a bit challenging for beginners. This morning I was teaching fabric flowers and we managed to get three different types completed in two hours. Next week a felt ladybird pincushion.

The quilting group I belong to has started a Mystery Quilt and, although I still have two quilts to make for my grandsons, I decided to join in. It hasn't cost me anything because I had just the right material in my stash so afternoons are spent sewing,vision and evenings in front of the television are for crochet or knitting. My reward for doing all that 'spring' cleaning before Christmas.:Grin:

Wow busy, busy, busy :)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I joined a "knit and natter" group yesterday. Although we've been living here a long time I was working to start with (so no day time groups) and then I was seriously ill so it's only now that I feel like going to these things.

I enjoyed it - a very mixed group of people and I think I will go again. The last group I joined was very bitchy and gossiped about the people who weren't there - I really felt a bit "dirty" after I'd been so I didn't go back.

In the evening we went to a lecture on local history (in the same room of the community centre which is an old school) and that was fascinating in a different way.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I joined a "knit and natter" group yesterday. Although we've been living here a long time I was working to start with (so no day time groups) and then I was seriously ill so it's only now that I feel like going to these things.

I enjoyed it - a very mixed group of people and I think I will go again. The last group I joined was very bitchy and gossiped about the people who weren't there - I really felt a bit "dirty" after I'd been so I didn't go back.

In the evening we went to a lecture on local history (in the same room of the community centre which is an old school) and that was fascinating in a different way.
Sounds great Helen enjoy your knit and natter group.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

Sounds good Helen I’ve been toying with the idea of going to one in Llandeilo that is held in the wool shop ...maybe I’ll give it a try ...the lady that owns the wool shop said I would be made welcome .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back