Copilot update. (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve just done the latest Copilot update.
I used to have the choice of Car,Motorhome,Bicycle or walking and after the update I’ve lost the Motorhome and got Motorcycle.
Anybody else had this problem with the latest update.
Or is it just away of getting me to buy the Caravan version

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes it's most likely just a way to get you to upgrade to the caravan/motorhome version, but I can see it from their point as in why bother with motorhome/caravan routing in what they sell as the "car" app when they have a dedicated "motorhome/caravan" app.

I think the two versions run different mapping so possibly they feel that the car mapping is not properly serving the motorhome/caravan market.

Go on you are worth it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You can set your own profiles up, go to settings - vehicle routing profiles - new - then add in all your prefered options

IIRC when you come to save it you can rename it to the vehicle of your choice, I have one set for 'Car' and one set for 'Hymer'. (y)

edit to add, this is with Copilot Europe, not the caravan or truck version.

Pete

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You can set your own profiles up, go to settings - vehicle routing profiles - new - then add in all your prefered options

IIRC when you come to save it you can rename it to the vehicle of your choice, I have one set for 'Car' and one set for 'Hymer'. (y)

Pete

Interesting but I don’t get the choice of adding different vehicles, a couple of screens shots first one is what I get when pressing vehicle profile and the second is what I get when press +, sorry photos came out the other way round
9793B17F-C94F-4163-A21D-E23F1B6AA91D.png
87935043-DB2F-45B8-B55C-A5F3F82A6F83.png

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It's because you have the basic version. You need at least Caravan, but according to a mate who has both that and Truck, he says Truck is better than Caravan. I have only ever had Truck (2 licences) and I think the profiling is a major reason for using it. If you do buy get it from playstore as moving to a new tablet is easier.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I haven't had any updates recently, mine is like the screenshot below.

I suppose you could use the car logo as your new profile and save that as 'Motorhome' or whatever you prefer to call it.

Pete
Screenshot_20181208-113356[814].png

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It’s annoying because I had the premium version which had car and motorhome ( no size input but worked) but they stopped supporting that a couple of months ago and now I’ve lost motorhome again.
Maybe time to go separate Satnav.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Looks like your account has just seperated. Log back in or restore licence to regain functionality.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks like your account has just seperated. Log back in or restore licence to regain functionality.

I binned it and reloaded and still the same, so I would have to spend more money on one of the other Copilot’s.
I don’t think so!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I suppose the question is "does it still work the same" or is some of the functionality now missing with the absence of the Motorhome option.

Martin

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well I’ve had a reply from Copilot support and as I thought it’s away of getting you to buy the full Caravan version, where you can put dimensions in.
Here’s the reply

Hi Nick,

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Consumer Support.

The RV/Caravan profile that was previously available in Auto and Truck apps was limited in its functionality and not designed to take into consideration dimensions for weight, width or length when calculating a route.

Feedback from users of this profile led us to create the CoPilot RV/Caravan app which provides RV/Caravan safe routing by permitting users to enter dimensions for their vehicle and obtain appropriate routing to avoid low bridges, narrow roads, and weight restricted roads.

Our latest CoPilot GPS update for iOS (Android following soon) benefits from a redesigned user experience that makes it possible for all types of vehicle navigation to be supported from a single app including our fully featured RV/Caravan navigation.

At CoPilot we believe that offering both a limited RV/Caravan profile as well as a fully featured profile in a single app would cause confusion for our users, and therefore the decision was made to remove the limited RV/Caravan profile from existing Auto and Truck profiles.

We encourage users of RVs/Caravans to explore the benefits of our fully featured RV/Caravan profile via a free 14 day trial in the CoPilot GPS app. (Creation of a new CoPilot ID will be required in order to do so)

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

Rachid
CoPilot Consumer Support

Visit https://support.copilotgps.com for FAQs and solutions from fellow CoPilot users!

116475:464814

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think that response makes sense, I believe at the moment the Caravan/RV app runs different maps and software interface compared to the Car app, they are saying that in the future they will all run on the same maps and software so dont want to offer an inferior Motorhome setting as part of the car app.

Martin

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Well I’ve had a reply from Copilot support and as I thought it’s away of getting you to buy the full Caravan version, where you can put dimensions in.
Here’s the reply

Hi Nick,

Thank you for contacting CoPilot Consumer Support.

The RV/Caravan profile that was previously available in Auto and Truck apps was limited in its functionality and not designed to take into consideration dimensions for weight, width or length when calculating a route.

Feedback from users of this profile led us to create the CoPilot RV/Caravan app which provides RV/Caravan safe routing by permitting users to enter dimensions for their vehicle and obtain appropriate routing to avoid low bridges, narrow roads, and weight restricted roads.

Our latest CoPilot GPS update for iOS (Android following soon) benefits from a redesigned user experience that makes it possible for all types of vehicle navigation to be supported from a single app including our fully featured RV/Caravan navigation.

At CoPilot we believe that offering both a limited RV/Caravan profile as well as a fully featured profile in a single app would cause confusion for our users, and therefore the decision was made to remove the limited RV/Caravan profile from existing Auto and Truck profiles.

We encourage users of RVs/Caravans to explore the benefits of our fully featured RV/Caravan profile via a free 14 day trial in the CoPilot GPS app. (Creation of a new CoPilot ID will be required in order to do so)

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

Rachid
CoPilot Consumer Support

Visit https://support.copilotgps.com for FAQs and solutions from fellow CoPilot users!

116475:464814

In other words, stop being a tight wad and get your credit card out. :xgrin:

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well I had an email from Copilot yesterday regarding the missing motorhome setting and it not showing 80 kph in France, giving me a redeem code for Copilot Caravan Europe.
So it’s worth asking questions.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So you got your money back?

I’ve bought the camper version, and dislike it. I am also stunned that they are still showing the incorrect speeds for France. Shows how often they update their systems.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well I never bought the Caravan version, but had the premium version which stopped being supported and had to change the normal version which didn’t have motorhome routing and didn’t show 80kph limits.
So as a good will gesture they’ve gave me the Caravan version, free. Strangely this version shows correct speed limits.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
These latest replies to the thread are strange.
Well over a week ago I had an update notification from the App Store for my CoPilot Caravan Europe app.
Basically it said that the caravan app wasn't being supported any more and should be updated to a new version.
It seems that having a separate car, caravan and lorry app wasn't deemed to be sensible and so the three were being incorporated into a new app naw called CoPilot GPS.
The previous app will still work but won't have any future map or system updates.
I've downloaded the new app and all my favourites seem to have transferred with it and it looks good. The Moho dimensions have been loaded, just like the previous Caravan version.
The map looks quite a bit different but apart from having a bit of a play I haven't used the app for real yet.
For extra info, the old Caravan App I had loaded was Version:9.6.5.58 the new GPS app is Version:10.10.0.535.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So you got your money back?

I’ve bought the camper version, and dislike it. I am also stunned that they are still showing the incorrect speeds for France. Shows how often they update their systems.
When we were in France a few weeks ago and using the Caravan version (now discontinued - see above post) the speed limits were showing correctly as they were back in September when we were there. Perhaps you hadn't updated the app??

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, perhaps I should add that I have the app on IOS on an iPad.
I suppose the app may be different on Android.

Richard.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I know what you mean about the Caravan app not being supported, I questioned this and all I got back was download it !
The Copilot GPS I have is the newest version but that doesn’t give me motorhome, this is what it gives me and speed in France is wrong.
45120E96-FEA4-4CB5-B449-6496AD3CA8B4.png

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Like @Clarky I have downloaded the latest iOS version, as I have just replaced my old iPad with a newer one which can take the latest version. The old one was limited to iOS 9 which meant that I was also stuck with an old version of CoPilot which is never going to receive app or map updates. Unlike you, I had the non-caravan version of the old app, though you could choose a motorhome as your vehicle and enter appropriate planning parameters. Therefore, I'm not surprised to learn that the new version doesn't have the caravan option for me, though you can tailor a car variant to your planning speeds, so it's no different, I suspect. Maybe I should try the support question approach suggested by @Manic to try and get an update.

However, in trying to see how much they would charge for an upgrade to the caravan version, I came across the 'How Do I buy....' section of the FAQ and it seems that all they offer now are 12 month subscriptions. That's a bit of a bummer, as it used to be a one-off payment apart from their traffic. I use the app as a secondary GPS to go with a Garmin Camper, so can't justify ongoing subscriptions costs.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the new version I've downloaded is a full version or just a trial. I wonder how you can tell, other than wait and see whether it times out.

Better not tell SWMBO about these issues, as one of the excuses I used to justify a better replacement iPad is that it had to have GPS for navigation purposes!

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just done a little test of the new app to make sure it took note of vehicle size by plotting a route to a nearby industrial estate that can be accessed under a low bridge.
The Car setting took me the shortest route via the bridge, the setting for our MoHo gave me a choice of two longer routes, both avoiding the low bridge. It seems to work as intended.

Richard.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is anybody running the Android version of Copilot Caravan on two different devices on the same licence.
I wanted to keep a fully working copy on my tablet as a backup in case the headunit in the van packed up in the middle of nowhere but I'm loathed to fork out £50 for another licenced copy if it's going to be sat there being unused.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I log into settings/ news in My copilot there are detailed instructions on how to get a new app as mine Co-Pilot Caravan Europe is being Retired and the maps will not be updated. They are offering a replacement App but not sure about if the maps will be free yet.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have downloaded the replacement app and all my data and setting were there straight away, I then downloaded the full Europe maps, all seems OK

Martin

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If I log into settings/ news in My copilot there are detailed instructions on how to get a new app as mine Co-Pilot Caravan Europe is being Retired and the maps will not be updated. They are offering a replacement App but not sure about if the maps will be free yet.

I have downloaded the replacement app and all my data and setting were there straight away, I then downloaded the full Europe maps, all seems OK

Martin

Just to clarify, do you have the app on two devices at the same time and can you run either device without swapping the license between devices to use Copilot as the Copilot website infers you need to swap the license over.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just to clarify, do you have the app on two devices at the same time and can you run either device without swapping the license between devices to use Copilot as the Copilot website infers you need to swap the license over.
Use it on my iPhone but also have it on iPad but hardly ever use it, just opened it up and it automatically updated itself to the new app and now downloading map updates and I can open it on the iPhone at the same time, I don't know if it matters but the two apple devices are all synced on the same apple iTunes account.

Martin

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Our van headunit and our tablets are Andriod.

I have downloaded Copilot onto my tablet and just finish downloading the maps and at present both the headunit and my tablet seem happy to cohabit together. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back