Paint keyed (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi everyone, my daughter has just arrived back from a flight and found her car has been keyed. She is going to try one of the mobile repair people but not sure how to protect the bare metal until it is fixed. Any ideas please? Is vaseline any good?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Go with what Andy says is your best bet.
As a former classic car restorer, please restrain from putting anything like vaseline, WD40 or silicone anywhere near it as they would likely cause whoever does the repairs immense grief with the problems they would likely cause them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
See if it has scratched to bare metal or just back to the primer sometimes it only scratches back to primer if primer you could wait till paintwork repaired

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thank you everyone for the quick response. I've told her to leave it and she is going to call one of the mobile repair people when she has had a sleep. Apparently it has happened to a lot of cars at Heathrow in the last few weeks. It's surposed to be a secure parking facilitiy, access is via airport security ID, so you would think it would be safe. Laura is going to report it but we don't expect much will be done.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would get some car polish on it. That should keep the water off the scratch and also make it clearer for the repairer to see what’s required

thedetailman

Free Member
Jan 3, 2019
Funster No
If you have a little bit of time you can repair it yourself for pretty cheap. Do you have any photos of the damage?

I used this guide to fix scratches I had on my car and it worked out well. The quixx kit is pretty inexpensive and if you detail any of your vehicles you may already have some of the polishing / rubbing compounds:

http://highperformancejunkies.com/how-to-guides/deep-scratches/

If you post a picture or two of the damage it might let people help you a little more too.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
If the scratch is deep ( you can feel it with your finger nail) and on one panel get a competent mobile guy in, who should charge about £250. Do some research and speak to previous customers before asking them to do the job, there are a few chancers around. If the scratch extends to two panels or more my best advice is to make an Insurance claim and have the job done in a bodyshop.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't touch it just get a scratch and dent guy to do it as for worrying abut rust who ever repairs it will sort that out
Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm with Mo, just leave it.
The repairer doesn't have a pot is magic scratch filling paint, they will flat the area back like any other paint sprayer so any minor surface rust will soon be taken care of.
The majority of customers wouldn't even think of covering the damage.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you have a little bit of time you can repair it yourself for pretty cheap. Do you have any photos of the damage?

I used this guide to fix scratches I had on my car and it worked out well. The quixx kit is pretty inexpensive and if you detail any of your vehicles you may already have some of the polishing / rubbing compounds:

http://highperformancejunkies.com/how-to-guides/deep-scratches/

If you post a picture or two of the damage it might let people help you a little more too.
Thanks for the link, I will pass it on. But Laura is in London and I don't think she will be willing to try it herself. I haven't seen the damage yet, Laura came home after working a flight overnight and then went to bed. I'll get her to send me a pic later.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I would leave it then the repaired can see what he is repairing, I had similar with a new car when a child crashed into it on a bicycle, and lucky enough to see who it was, ;) needless to say they paid for the repair, and that was a mobile chap in Norwich, very pleased with him. (y) Bob.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
There are a number of fraudulent car storage companies operating around there who claim they have secure storage yet drive the cars to anywhere they can find. I watched a BBC program "The Defenders" recently where exactly this happened to her car and she found it had been keyed.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
There are a number of fraudulent car storage companies operating around there who claim they have secure storage yet drive the cars to anywhere they can find. I watched a BBC program "The Defenders" recently where exactly this happened to her car and she found it had been keyed.
Laura is cabin crew for Virgin she parked in the staff car park at Heathrow. Entry is via ID but the car park is used by a lot of staff and doesn't have cctv.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Laura is cabin crew for Virgin she parked in the staff car park at Heathrow. Entry is via ID but the car park is used by a lot of staff and doesn't have cctv.
The damage may have been caused by inconsiderate staff members with luggage and a zip or padlock scored across it. It might not have been deliberate vandalism. When I park in these places I always chose my space so that no one need squeeze through on the way to a bus stop or exit.
I have watched as harassed travellers are scrambling to catch the shuttle bus and pull trolley cases between cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back