Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
::bigsmile:Hello all you early birds, a friend of mine has just bough a 1986 Autosleeper which is looking very tired with dull bodywork, on one side the body work has cracked like crazy paving, any idea how to bring the bodywork back to life and is the crazy paving on parts of the body repairable, thank you peoples:thumb::thumb:
kennygd

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it sounds like the gel coat is cracked.If I was you I would give it a good scrub up and use it.An old 86 will not be worth doing a full spray job on unless you are handy and DIY or get it done cheap.Once polished up you have to look close to see the cracks :winky:
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi it sounds like the gel coat is cracked.If I was you I would give it a good scrub up and use it.An old 86 will not be worth doing a full spray job on unless you are handy and DIY or get it done cheap.Once polished up you have to look close to see the cracks :winky:
terry

Hi Terry

Is this a common problem as my mh exibits the same crazy paving look when I get really close, if I stand a foot away it cant be seen. Will it become a problem in time and if so what can be done to remedy it.

Jim

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry

Is this a common problem as my mh exibits the same crazy paving look when I get really close, if I stand a foot away it cant be seen. Will it become a problem in time and if so what can be done to remedy it.

Jim

Hi Jim I am no-way an expert on this but lots do crack the top gel coat - You can sand it down and use a spray putty, sand again then respray with some success :thumb:FIBRE GLASS BONNET ON A CAR - but how long it would last I do not know as I only kept it for a few months.I am sure we have some spray painters on here ( I can see his avatar in my mind as I type :ROFLMAO: but no name :Doh:) that will give a more detailed/better answer- just thought on the older van people would expect some crazing so not to bother about it :thumb:if your van is worth spending say £1000 plus on a respray I am sure you can do it.I don't think it does any harm to the F/G just purely cosmetic.
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim I am no-way an expert on this but lots do crack the top gel coat - You can sand it down and use a spray putty, sand again then respray with some success :thumb:FIBRE GLASS BONNET ON A CAR - but how long it would last I do not know as I only kept it for a few months.I am sure we have some spray painters on here ( I can see his avatar in my mind as I type :ROFLMAO: but no name :Doh:) that will give a more detailed/better answer- just thought on the older van people would expect some crazing so not to bother about it :thumb:if your van is worth spending say £1000 plus on a respray I am sure you can do it.I don't think it does any harm to the F/G just purely cosmetic.
terry

Thanks Terry

Jim

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think this is a fact of life over time the gel coat will craze, I don't think there is any way of avoiding it. I have had many fibre glass vehicles from early Reliant's to Autosleeper vans and they have all gone the same way. I did have a Reliant resprayed after a bump and had it for 18months after and was fine when sold.
Normally I would not have bothered, it does not seem to affect the body and as said if clean hardly notices.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi kennygd

On rereading your post about Autosleeper van and dull paintwork, Autosleeper's used to recommend using Farecla polish on their fiberglass bodies, obtainable on line or from boat chandeliers just an afterthought.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back