Camping - Olympics 2012 R U Interested (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi everyone

I am probably the funster nearest to the campsites within easiest reach of the 2012 London Olympics.

Please can you let me know how many of you would like camping within reach of the Olympics.

I will then see what arrangements or pre-booking of pitches can be made and when.

The olympics starts on 27th July 2012 so my personal opinion would be to be on pitch no later than 25th July 2012 because everyone will be travelling in the day before the start.

Give me some idea of dates and prices you are willing to pay.

Many thanks

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i think its a fantastic idea:thumb:
but unless it involves an engine i am less than intrested.
but for the funsters that enjoy this sort of thing it would be ideal:thumb:

chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Won't be me....I can't wait for the complete waste of tax payers money to be over.:Angry:

For different reasons I won't be going, I hope to be out of the UK when it is on. Please also be aware that pre-event training venues will be placed around the UK for various teams - so you may be affected by security restrictions of differing degrees depending on where these are and who's the teams are.
:pray:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Won't be me....I can't wait for the complete waste of tax payers money to be over.:Angry:

Sorry to put a dampener on a kind offer from Gail but that's how I feel as well.

There was a feature on the local ITV news this evening about the impact on the north east.

£4.6M from Regional Development Agency One North East, Stockton Borough Council, Sport England and British Waterways (i.e. taxpayers outside of London) to upgrade the Tees Barrage White Water course so it can be used as a training venue. Against that Newcastle United appear set to gain from renting out St James Park for some of the football matches.

As with most of these bean feasts (which is what they are now, far removed from the original ideals) a few people will gain a lot and a lot of people will pay a lot so that they can do so.

Graham

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well ! They are also using Coventry City footer ground for the Olympics and a couple of the athletics teams are basing in Birmingham for the pre-Olympics. The thing is - they all have to stay somewhere. They all have to eat. They will all need transport.

When there is a match at the stadium(s) the supporters will come from those countries to the stadium. They may arrive the day before or go home the day after. They will all need to eat, they may need to stay over. They may hire a car and put petrol in it. Perhaps they might like to purchase a souvenir of Coventry Birmingham Newcastle Cardiff wherever whilst they are here?

Is not tourism a profitable enterprise for a location?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not really.

It's lost it's way. Now loads of mega rich stars. All hype.

Sir Wotzisname the rower was on the news - SIR, for having big biceps. Then there's Lord Coe.

Like many other events, it's not "sport" it's a circus. And I'll bet a very corrupt circus.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think its fantastic, can't wait for the Olympics. Just spent half an hour glued to the box watching two Brits get Gold and Sillver in the 10,000m at the European Championships. Fanbloodytastic, nearly as exciting as the Rugger old chap. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just spent half an hour glued to the box

The way to do it. OK no "being there" but you get the best seat in the house.

What's more you get the SLoMo on TV and that really brings some of the disciplines, like gymnastics and diving to life.

Then there's synchronised swimming, do they still do this, as exciting as watching a pan of milk boil over.

We're off to Silverstone this WE but we'll probably watch on the box when we get back as well, for the fine detail.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
They can't have any events in Liverpool because they would get confused over which gunshot is the starting and more of the spectators would fail drugs tests.:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well ! They are also using Coventry City footer ground for the Olympics and a couple of the athletics teams are basing in Birmingham for the pre-Olympics. The thing is - they all have to stay somewhere. They all have to eat. They will all need transport.

When there is a match at the stadium(s) the supporters will come from those countries to the stadium. They may arrive the day before or go home the day after. They will all need to eat, they may need to stay over. They may hire a car and put petrol in it. Perhaps they might like to purchase a souvenir of Coventry Birmingham Newcastle Cardiff wherever whilst they are here?

Is not tourism a profitable enterprise for a location?

The thing is will they stay and will they eat? Will they actually spend much money outside London? How much, if any, of the money which is spent will go to balance the billions of public money being expended to set up the event?

I recall going to see Hungary play Bulgaria at Old Trafford in 1966. Touts were selling tickets at less than face value to get a little extra return on the books that they had obtained because they contained semi-final and final tickets. The stadium was closer to empty than full - we only went because as kids it was the only match we could get to.

The TV report I mentioned earlier spoke of half a million tickets for the games in Newcastle - but that's what will be available, not what will be used. We keep seeing stories about the opportunities but we see precious little hard fact about expenditure and income - and what we do see tends to be expenditure from the (well overdrawn) public purse to fund the preferred lifestyle of a few people.

Graham

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Gail

I think its a great idea in principle, the site would have to be pretty close to transport links.

There used to be one at Lea Valley, but that might have been changed with the olympics.

What about Loughton there used to be one there, not bad for the central line.

Were not sure if we would be available, hopefully Neil would have retired by then, but in the current climate we dont know whats going to happen. He might even have to work at the Olympics.
If looking at London sites bear in mind the LEZ zone as a lot of vehicles could fall into that category if Boris goes ahead with it, has the next lot fall in 2012.

I think that they might end up using some of the M11 for parking on, like operation stack at Folkestone etc.

maybe you could find a farmers field somewhere, it we have a Defra certificate.

Well done in coming up with the suggestion

Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back