DVLA - Good Service (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have had the Carioca uprated by SV Tech to 3700kg. Took the details to DVLA in Reading yesterday expecting all sorts of problems! However, everything went swimmingly. The lady behind the counter could not have been more helpful. Issued a new Tax disc - £156 not £190 as before - now PHGV not PLG, took the old Tax disc for a 2 months refund and even did my private plate transfer onto the Smart inc a replacement MOT. In all, in and out in 30 mins - had to wait 15 mins to get served. Great service :thumb::thumb: Even the insurance companies were helpful when I told them the new details:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have had the Carioca uprated by SV Tech to 3700kg. Took the details to DVLA in Reading yesterday expecting all sorts of problems! However, everything went swimmingly. The lady behind the counter could not have been more helpful. Issued a new Tax disc - £156 not £190 as before - now PHGV not PLG, took the old Tax disc for a 2 months refund and even did my private plate transfer onto the Smart inc a replacement MOT. In all, in and out in 30 mins - had to wait 15 mins to get served. Great service :thumb::thumb: Even the insurance companies were helpful when I told them the new details:thumb:
I have found the local DVLA offices are always excellent. Swansea, well that is another story, I think it is time for a headquarters move to civilisation. We need the jobs in England where they would be appreciated. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It snice to hear about good service from the DVLA. I have a couple of Issues with my V5 but I'm rather loath to go near them.

One issue is that I think the gross weight is wrong and the other is that I know for sure that they have the wrong VIN number. I fear that if I go near them it will all get outa hand.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
dvla good service

YES GO TO OUR LOCAL OFFICE QUITE A LOT AND SREVICE IS EXCELLENT PITY OTHER GOV BODIES COULDN T TAKE A LEAF OUT OF THERE BOOK :Smile:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I Replated my M/H and sent details + V5 Document to Swansea 8 weeks ago and I am hoping to get it today lol.

Ive spent many a hour on the phone to Dvla over the last 8 weeks .

Glad got yours sorted so quick

Paul and Lynne

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
know the feeling

It snice to hear about good service from the DVLA. I have a couple of Issues with my V5 but I'm rather loath to go near them.

One issue is that I think the gross weight is wrong and the other is that I know for sure that they have the wrong VIN number. I fear that if I go near them it will all get outa hand.

Jim

My Winnibago is shown on the V5 as a INNIBAGO ... do I want the hasle of getting them to give me back my W ?? All I know was when it was first registered when it came in to the UK I had to wait best part of 6 weeks for the V5 despite everything being done correctly. Very very slow at Swansea was not impressed with them. I would remark that the original MOT done on the RV was replaced by the DVLC with a new printed one with the registration mark and the one with the chassis number was not sent back to me at all. I spent a lot of time chasing Swansea for the documents. :cry:My local office in Maidstone in Kent are much better, but there are long waits ... take a ticket and wait for ever.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Jim

Same problems my Hymer S700 (1992) is 4600kg loaded or 3600kg max unloaded on the plate but because it only weighs in at 3380kg unladen on the weighbridge they still class it as PLG with a revenue weight of 3400kg.

They also had it down as a Merceedes Renault Scenic pick up when I got the log book back on first reg in the UK.

Wrote to them twice about the weight with no success.

Last edited:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
We have always had good service from our local DVLA office. As someone mentioned earlier swansea is another matter!!!! slightly off tangent, Rich has to renew his HGV1 every three years due to health . It has in the past taken no more than 6months from date of posting application to recieving renewed liecence. We sent the application off last december and are still waiting. Their excuse backlog :cry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Jim
Like you Jim, my V5 had the wrong classification and one wrong digit in the VIN No.
Due to the size of vehicle, they came to the house, had a brew and a biscuit, noted the correct details, and not only sorted things out, but gave me a refund on the overpaid road fund duty.

Dave, (656) I've just had our MH upgraded from 4,500Kgs to 5,000 Kgs by VOSA, and they issued me a Design Weight Certificate, (although exempt), based on a EU Type Approved conversion. You'll cry if I tell you how much they charged me.

SVTech wanted to charge £320 + VAT, and in the words of a VOSA inspector "rip off merchants". :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

TandH

Free Member
Jan 7, 2009
Banffshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
2 year
DVLA Swansea

Well, I must be the odd one out! My last van was registered as Panel Van - light goods. I sent the V5 and a letter explaining is should be a Motorhome and PLG. Within a short time I got a letter asking for photographic proof. Sent them a stack of photos and back came a new V5 with the correct body type. That only took a few weeks from begining to end. A few months later I found the van was right on the 3000kg limit so had it ugraded by SVtech to 3200. Sent an ammended V5C and SVtech cert to them and also explained that it should be PLG and could they tell me what information/proof I needed to take to my local DVLA office as it was 120 mile round trip. Back came a letter asking me for £5 and they would send me a new tax disk. Sent the money and back came the V5C and PLG tax disk and would I sent the old one back within 7 days. Again this only took a couple of weeks. So I can't complain about the Swansea service.

OP
OP

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Dave, (656) I've just had our MH upgraded from 4,500Kgs to 5,000 Kgs by VOSA, and they issued me a Design Weight Certificate. You'll cry if I tell you how much they charged me.

SVTech wanted to charge £320 + VAT, and in the words of a VOSA inspector "rip off merchants". :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

Bugger, didnt know VOSA did that sort of thing. :Angry: Thanks for that, perhaps peeps on here will go to VOSA now they know. I would have

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Bugger, didnt know VOSA did that sort of thing. :Angry: Thanks for that, perhaps peeps on here will go to VOSA now they know. I would have
In all honesty Dave, I only found out by chance, by approaching a vehicle inspector at my local VOSA testing station. Based on the certificate I presented to him, he made a couple of phone calls to their office at Swansea, and they said "No problem. Although MHs are exempt from needing a Design Weight Certificate, we'll issue one anyway, and that will supersede the Fiat plate on the slam panel, and it "should" also be acceptable to any Traffic Enforcement Agency throughout Central Europe".
Wow, and at the pricely sum of £15, I thought "that'll do for me". :thumb: (£27 originally quoted, but £12 refunded by cheque).

All I had to do then was A...present the same certificate to Hymer AG, so that they could issue a new convertor's plate for €60, and B... take the old V5 (and the DWC as confirmation) to my local DVLA office to be updated, at no charge.

VOSA also weighed me axle by axle when fully loaded for our German trip, for "no charge", at one of their weighbridges.
When issuing the weigh receipt, the chap jokingly said, "you have enough spare capacity to carry 1 x can of Coke and a sandwich". I replied, "the wife will be staying at home then". :ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
I to have a good story from swansea.
Couple of weeks ago I lost my wallet in a truck stop early one morning whilst filling up.As soon as I got home cancelled all bank cards etc.Then phoned Swansea fearing the worst as I needed a new tacho card as well,no problem they said £20 for the licence £19 for the card,both in my paws within 48Hrs excellent.

Pete

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I to have a good story from swansea.
Couple of weeks ago I lost my wallet in a truck stop early one morning whilst filling up.As soon as I got home cancelled all bank cards etc.Then phoned Swansea fearing the worst as I needed a new tacho card as well,no problem they said £20 for the licence £19 for the card,both in my paws within 48Hrs excellent.

Pete
Hi Pete,

Just out of curiosity, did you have to go and sign for the new digital Tacho card at your local VOSA office? I did, because of security reasons, they won't send it to my home address.

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back