Habitation service, 3rd year is it needed? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Happy new year,
In May 2019 my Swift Bolero with be 3 years old, I have had 1st & 2nd service done by my dealer, but can't help thinking that its a lot of money to get a sticker & a cerificate.
The last time it took them over 4 weeks to complete and constant chasing up so will not be using them again, but before I go to the effort of finding another suitable Swift dealer is it worth it.
By trade I'm an electrical aircraft engineer so am very capable of fixing & checking for leaks, damp, etc..

We are planning to keep this for the next 5 years as this suits our needs, Does everyone else bother, I do hear of nightmares with doors & leaks etc but unsure if the cost and hassle is worth it.

Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our 3rd new van never had a habitation service only have the annual damp check done. Like you I am perfectly capable of telling everything is working. Nose works quite well for a gas check but I do use a gas sniffer (less than 30 quid) and a good item to carry in the van.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It all depends on what warranty you have and the terms and conditions to maintain any cover.
My Autotrail has a 10 year ingress warranty ( luckily) and I am required to have an annual habitation check by an NCC approved company. Mine is done by a mobile engineer that comes to my house.
However some manufacturers force you to only use their dealers .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
On our 3rd new van never had a habitation service only have the annual damp check done. Like you I am perfectly capable of telling everything is working. Nose works quite well for a gas check but I do use a gas sniffer (less than 30 quid) and a good item to carry in the van.

Been toying with buying one for a while Lenny, which model have you.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This may help,,

A quick reads seem to say if you want to maintain the 10 year body cover you have to use a Swift approved agent. :(
Cross out swift agent and put in rip off prices.. ;):whistle:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I suppose it depends on your views on “value” vs “price”

Also, One of the elements to consider is depreciation or lack of it in considering whole-life-cost

Ask yourself, if you were looking at 2 identical 5 year old motorhomes for sale, what would make you buy the one with the verbal story of servicing over the one with full documented history

No correct answer, just a consideration

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van is now 4.5 years old (wow :eek: it's still new in our eyes) and never had a habitation check, I check everything every time we use it and sorted the problems with the dealer myself. I check for damp with my own meter every summer (y) so far so good, and we've saved about ÂŁ675 :cool:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The habitation check can cost up to ÂŁ200 if you don't get it you have ÂŁ200 towards any problems. If your vigilant and check the van regularly you'll have ÂŁ200 every year towards any problems.

I would suggest that if you were going to have build quality issues they would have manifested themselves before now.

If in future you decide to to sell you can always get an up to date hab check.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Bear in mind that a proper gas check isn't just for leaking gas feeds, it's for the waste flue gases to be checked to ensure the appliance is burning correctly.

Just about the only bit of a hab check that is essential to have really - but - find yourself a decent independent and a combined hab & base service is not much more than a base vehicle only service.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Even with factory hab checks annually our 2 1/2 year old Auto Sleeper had 45% damp in the rear amongst other major faults.
I was glad to see the back of it.

John.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Ever since a good friend of mine invested in a dealership I've never had a habitation service. His words were buy a very good quality damp meter and if it's working leave it alone. I daren't tell you what they actually do for there blood money on a habitation check.
Totally agree with Lenny HB.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The third year Habitation Check on a Swift has to be done during the month before its 3 years old. If you go over that they will not want to know. Your Ingress Warranty will be void if you don't have it done so if you have trouble down the line you will be on your own. We have a Laika so along with other Imports it only needs an Water Ingress check once a year and I do any other bits that need sorting.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Bear in mind that a proper gas check isn't just for leaking gas feeds, it's for the waste flue gases to be checked to ensure the appliance is burning correctly.

Just about the only bit of a hab check that is essential to have really - but - find yourself a decent independent and a combined hab & base service is not much more than a base vehicle only service.
I think you will be very disappointed as most habitation checks will certainly not include a comprehensive check of your gas appliances and definitely not a service or even a combustion analysis.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Our dealer charges £320 for a Hymer Hab service which includes the under seal check. RIP off, they tried to persuade me a hab check is a safety issue when I asked that just the Hymer basic damp check and under seal was carried out. Don’t know the cost yet expect the invoice in the post soon.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Our dealer charges £320 for a Hymer Hab service which includes the under seal check. RIP off, they tried to persuade me a hab check is a safety issue when I asked that just the Hymer basic damp check and under seal was carried out. Don’t know the cost yet expect the invoice in the post soon.
Never bothered with our Swift , Laika or Dethleffs we had all from new but might get the HYMER pig basic damp check done .
Be interested to hear what they charge you as an toying with a trip to Belgium after Lenny HB quoted price.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Money making exercise, they have all jumped on the bandwagon, I heard some terrible reports about how Carthago dealers for example rip new owners off.

Hymer dealers charging for putting black goo on the underside of GRP floors:LOL:, when questioned they come up with '' Ah well the cable entry points need protecting'' never heard such a load of sh1te.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I think you will be very disappointed as most habitation checks will certainly not include a comprehensive check of your gas appliances and definitely not a service or even a combustion analysis.

I don't disagree based on "most", but mine does - Dave Newell attaches the printout of the flue gas readings from the gas analyser to the worksheet. Really bad I think that hab "services" elsewhere do not always include this.

I like having the peace of mind that the gas appliances have all been checked, with my whole family sleeping in the van - 2 of the kids are in bunks right next to where the fridge and boiler are.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We have been having this discussion since we bought our motorhome four years ago. Over the ten-year 'guarantee' period, it will cost us around ÂŁ2000 - glad to see Elddis have faith in their products! What a rip-off!

I see the link for the Honeywell sniffer ... can anyone recommend a reliable damp meter at a sensible price?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This may help,,

A quick reads seem to say if you want to maintain the 10 year body cover you have to use a Swift approved agent. :(
Cross out swift agent and put in rip off prices.. ;):whistle:

our local caravan place is swift approved and not at rip off prices either. We contacted Swift direct, not the dealer, so long as check is done by aNCC approved place they were happy to accept.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
our local caravan place is swift approved and not at rip off prices either. We contacted Swift direct, not the dealer, so long as check is done by aNCC approved place they were happy to accept.

Like Autotrail makes sense if they accept NCC..
However their web site and terms and conditions do not state that fact.. So if it was me I would like to get the NCC statement in writing to be on the safe side.. (y);)

" If the Annual Service is performed by an authorised Swift Group Service Centre then Swift warrants that the Annual Service has been performed correctly. If the Annual Service is performed by an unauthorised repairer or service centre then if the Annual Service has not been performed in accordance with the requirements in this handbook and/or work has been performed on your motorhome that is defective or faulty, then Swift will not be obliged to perform any work under this Warranty (insofar as it relates to defective or faulty work or defective Annual Service)."

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
I look at things slightly different. People more so than ever when spending large sums of money on a used motorhome like to see see service history, and the books stamped.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
For the first few years I used Hymer dealership
(Brownhills) but for a few years I've used Phil at Rhino Installs. Very good price and includes gas check etc. Obviously Brownhills no longer exists and it was under warranty.
I've a full service history and a full habitation history and it's coming up to 14 years old (we've had for 12 years) and I'm confident that's damp free and if damp was detected then it would minimal repair.
For the yearly cost of the habitation check, I have piece of mind.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we have a PVC and I don't see the benefit of a hab check as moisture ingress shouldn't be a concern on a PVC

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back