Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Hi,

We’ve just bought an ex-rental MH (found a good one finally for anyone who has read my other posts) and while they’ve removed the previous rental company decals you can still see them if you stand at the right angle, it’s not sticker residue but I think the area under the decals hasn’t faded as much as the surrounding area.

Not a huge problem for us but just wondered if anyone had any tips to fade / remove them further?

Rich

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Brake cleaner is what most commercial van dealers use & polish up after with a machine is best.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
A good restorative polish is the answer. That will remove and adhesive and bring back the faded areas.

Though great care will be required due to the many and complex variety os surfaces found on Motor homes.

I would avoid brake cleaner it’s a bit agressive,

Tardis tar remover is best for removing glue or adhesives. Do a tiny test are first don’t go blasting at it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Show me an ex post office van where you can't see where the company logo was.
Very true, although I was sort of hoping that as my van wasn't heavily faded red colour I might have a bit more luck at least fading the original logo.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not a huge problem for us but just wondered if anyone had any tips to fade / remove them further?

Rich

I removed a whole load off out first MH, it was 4 YO when we got it, nothing but nothing I did would get rid of the ghosts. Always when the light caught it you could see where they had been. After ten years it did not bother me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Very true, although I was sort of hoping that as my van wasn't heavily faded red colour I might have a bit more luck at least fading the original logo.
Sorry, maybe a poor example.
My point was it will always be visible in certain light conditions and from certain angles.
I've seen commercial vans which have been professional machine polished and its still just visible.

OP
OP
dutts303

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Sorry, maybe a poor example.
My point was it will always be visible in certain light conditions and from certain angles.
I've seen commercial vans which have been professional machine polished and its still just visible.
Ah yes, to be honest it's only visible at an angle in certain lights anyway now and we've been out in the van quite a few times since I originally posted this and it's not bothering me any more.

I just wondered if it was something that was easily addressed; the decals were on the van for a couple of years and were removed before we purchased.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Show me an ex post office van where you can't see where the company logo was.

I assure you it is possible to deep polish to restore the paint on pretty much anything.

I doubt those that buy ex fleet stuff are bothered but if they were really deep cutting with of course paint measuring equipment can be done to high standards.

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Going back to the sixties and seventies I can remember it being a problem. Paint would have been celly at that time. Rubbing down and repainting the panel was not the answer it was still there.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Vinyl or vinyl wrap graphics over lay, panel or part of etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back