Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Just seen my fiat ducato camper van up for sale on the Internet when i had it had 26600 on the clock and now they say its done 18000:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I'd get them done.Dealers can get a bad enough name without cowboys like this making it even harder for them.There are some decent dealers out there,who would be more than happy to see these scroats getting what they deserve:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Report the dishonest buggers :Angry::Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
cant see the point for the haircut for just a few thousad miles

must be a real dummy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Maybe they just drove it backwards...:Eeek:

I think I would have to let them know I had spotted it ... I'd hate them to think they had got one up on everybody.... it could be a genuine typo.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just seen my fiat ducato camper van up for sale on the Internet when i had it had 26600 on the clock and now they say its done 18000:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Shop them to Trading Standards otherwise you are helping a fellow MHer get ripped off.

Chances are they'll say it was a typo but if they have actually clocked it and they get a visit from their local Trading Standards then they are in trouble.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Did you buy your Hymer off them if so get in touch with the last people on the log book and check the milage, what they have done to yours they could have done before, not good, if milage is different you could get some money back.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
They definitely need telling... what I am not sure... assuming it is as you say it is I would offer them the chance to put their "mistake" right and if they don't, then report them to who ever you do in these cases. :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:

Or I could contact my people and they could pay them a visit... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ

If you still get no satisfaction set Tilly on them... :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Why not get a mate to have a look around it to see if they have clocked it?
It could be a genuine typo.

If it has been clocked a report to trading standards is in order providing you have evidence of the higher mileage.

Phil

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sure that is more likely a mistake, Contact them and ask them directly. If you can get someone to check do so first before jumping.

the reason I believe its a mistake is that teh likely hood of going to that trouble to lose 10000 miles seems ridiculous. You would not increase the value of the van that much. If it had gone from 75k to 20k then maybe.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
"Clocking" as its called is a criminal offence, and you are obliged to report it, If you don't, then on the sale of the van you become and accomplice in the offence because of your prior knowledge.

Doug...

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Sure that is more likely a mistake, Contact them and ask them directly. If you can get someone to check do so first before jumping.

the reason I believe its a mistake is that teh likely hood of going to that trouble to lose 10000 miles seems ridiculous. You would not increase the value of the van that much. If it had gone from 75k to 20k then maybe.

yes i seem to think its a mistake myself as its a big company plus am going to see them on Monday so i will have a look

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For any dealer to clock a vehicle, an excess amount ie 20k or 30k would become evident in the wear level on pedals mats tyres etc.
5k or 10k would help sell it quicker and add a healthy amount to the forecourt price and condition would not look out of place for a reduction of that amount.
The unfortunate end result for the new owner could be that it might have the cam belt changed much later because of the reduced clock mileage and end in a very expensive repair job :Sad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
For any dealer to clock a vehicle, an excess amount ie 20k or 30k would become evident in the wear level on pedals mats tyres etc.
5k or 10k would help sell it quicker and add a healthy amount to the forecourt price and condition would not look out of place for a reduction of that amount.
The unfortunate end result for the new owner could be that it might have the cam belt changed much later because of the reduced clock mileage and end in a very expensive repair job :Sad:

Sorry larry I cant agree with that.

there is in essence no difference in the price of teh two vans milages. I could understand if there was a massive change in milage but not this ammount. Most punters today accept higher miles anyway. There would be little evidence in wear in the pedals in a modern day motor between 20-40k in terms of mats and pedals, plus many whom would of clocked from 100k to 25k would of changed mats and pedal rubbers any way, or even a steering wheel.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Paul,
I think any vehicle with a 20k + mileage difference should show a wear and tear level that reflects the real mileage. I do understand that dealers are very clever using various chemicals to enhance tyres bumpers upholstery mats etc. Service history and log book mileage can also help to find evidence.

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Did you buy your Hymer off them if so get in touch with the last people on the log book and check the milage, what they have done to yours they could have done before, not good, if milage is different you could get some money back.

one of the funsters owned this van and give me some information on it which wos nice to know:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Excellent point.

Particularly important when you consider the timing belt life.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It is an offence, but no-one knows yet if it has actually been committed! LOL

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Now MOT's are computerised the mileage is recorded with VOSA each year so it would be easy to check the mileage of a vehicle.
You can do this online but you need to have the MOT number or the V5 number together with the reg number. From the VOSA site you can also see when the last MOT was done and also what, is anything, it failed on so you know what work was done.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Reading the comments I'm beginning to think that the dealer may not do any clocking as it seems its an easy crime to detect but how about this...

What has been done is falsely advertising the goods, IE making a false statement as to the mileage, and when challenged its easy to say. " Oh! that was a clerical error"

Doug...

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Now MOT's are computerised the mileage is recorded with VOSA each year so it would be easy to check the mileage of a vehicle.
You can do this online but you need to have the MOT number or the V5 number together with the reg number. From the VOSA site you can also see when the last MOT was done and also what, is anything, it failed on so you know what work was done.

The Vosa would have no idea how much mileage it has done since its last MOT( if it has had a MOT not knowing the age of yours Martin), so perhaps that is why the mileage change is not such a large difference, just a feasible amount to enhance the "for sale"

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
UP date on dealer

Been to see dealer to see my old van and its not been clocked as it still as 26600 miles on it turns out to be a mistake on the advert::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
JJ you'll need to put all those miles back on black beauty now the funsters are all clock watching:ROFLMAO::RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

learningbutknowitall

Free Member
Aug 22, 2010
near merthyr tudfil
Funster No
MH
1992 compass
Exp
over ten years
IA lot of so called reputable dealers are up to no good, besides clocking they take no responsibility for a sold vehicle. I had to take a court case against a motorhome dealer on the south coast for a few thousand pounds of repairs straight after buying my motorhome from them. I say give it to them with both barrels shop them to trading standard or someone will be out of pocket and it wont be the crook who clocks it.In this instance you have solved the mileage discepancy but the seller will get more customers owing to the low apparent mileage discrepancy

Last edited:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
When we sell a car I have had to put the mileage down on the log book to say what the car had done before sending it off to DVLA, think its optional, but it helps DVLA keep track of dealers that might clock. Pleased this has a happy ending.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back