LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Must be crazy but have part X'd my second Elysian for the new model.

Major changes are raised chassis giving flat floor throughout with underfloor heating (like the Morello). Plus no wood used anywhere in the construction and again, because of the raised chassis more external lockers and more external locker space, some winterised and some not.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
They certainly haven’t had an easy past but they have never let me down and service staff are excellent. They really need to improve the accuracy of their delivery forecasts especially when bringing out a new model.

Been to the factory three times in the last three months and clearly very busy. They downsized the facility and have standardised the range - you can still have custom if you want but I think they are pushing hard for people to take one of the standard offered layouts - which is what I have done this time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well it certainly looks a nice van.
Anything on build quality, insulation, is it the same system as hymer etc, PU foam?
Do they use fixings, metal etc or is it bonded together?
GRP or aluminium exterior, what is the inside skin made of?
Structural strength, is it a frame on the body.
waste and fresh, are they both in a double floor?
any exposed water pipes under exterior floor
Cab side Windows-Glass double glazed?
windscreen shutter insulated? Heated between the shutter and the windscreen when the shutter is closed down?
Alde heating throughout?
I presume you must think the build quality is great to be on your third, wonder how they hold up after ten years etc?

Update, I have answered some of my points as I've just had a peek at the spec although it just says insulated GRP construction, insulated with what?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Well it certainly looks a nice van.
Anything on build quality, insulation, is it the same system as hymer etc, PU foam?
Do they use fixings, metal etc or is it bonded together?
GRP or aluminium exterior, what is the inside skin made of?
Structural strength, is it a frame on the body.
waste and fresh, are they both in a double floor?
any exposed water pipes under exterior floor
Cab side Windows-Glass double glazed?
windscreen shutter insulated? Heated between the shutter and the windscreen when the shutter is closed down?
Alde heating throughout?
I presume you must think the build quality is great to be on your third, wonder how they hold up after ten years etc?

Update, I have answered some of my points as I've just had a peek at the spec although it just says insulated GRP construction, insulated with what?
Wow, that’s a lot of questions. Here goes as best I can...

There is no wood used in the frame construction so no chance of damp rotting the frame.

It’s a double floor with underfloor heating as well as Alde heating radiators like the Morello

Waste, fresh and black in the double floor

Raised body allows for completely flat floor front to back and means the dash is further forward giving an extra half a metre internal length.

Raised body also allows for more and deeper lockers some of which are winterised.

No exposed pipes

Cab windows single glazed I think

Windscreen shutter is electric aluminium blind as per the previous model - good insulation. Not sure about heating in between shutter and windscreen, don’t think so.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As to how it holds up...

Took it to the US and did 15000 miles on some pretty poor roads in 6 months with the only damage being self inflicted so pretty good

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry, but I can’t find any info on “Elysian”.

Any links available?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Dilwyn
Thanks for the link.

This time last year we “downsized” to our present PVC. I reckon it would probable fit in the washroom of that one.:rolleyes::)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I know this is an old thread but started having thoughts that I like the slide out version, I’m going to drive over to have a closer look, we have a 9 mtr burstner so size isn’t an issue, my misses enjoys cooking and is really struggling with the kitchen space in ours, though she did manage Christmas dinner, it’s the finance bit that I will need to try and get my head around, will be looking to buy used only.
What are the problem areas on the RS Elysian, does it have any?
Cheers
Mark

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Yes we had a vanmaster caravan, they made bespoke vans, they went bust 12 months after we got it so warranty went out the window, think was the third time they had gone bust.
Not sure it’s a showstopper for me, I need to go and have a look, the only problem with that is, if I like them I will need to get another 2 jobs to help pay for it. :xgrin::xgrin:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I think the main thing that put me off the Elysian was when the salesman told us the windscreen was made solely for them and not a screen off a production vehicle but I would also consider an Endevour with the Iveco cab.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I think the main thing that put me off the Elysian was when the salesman told us the windscreen was made solely for them and not a screen off a production vehicle but I would also consider an Endevour with the Iveco cab.

It then becomes a coach built Steve, and you then have problems the problems associated with 'nailing a box' on to a cabbed chassis.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It then becomes a coach built Steve, and you then have problems the problems associated with 'nailing a box' on to a cabbed chassis.
Yes I know what you mean Ken still double floor on them though and ease of any maintenance having a bonnet any Iveco dealer can service it no problem and the same chassis as the a class.
We did take a look at the Morrelo just up the road from RS but that was not for us.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
@canopus well we have just about got through the list of warranty items on our Hymer only a new set of wheels to be fitted in January and the front double glazed windows both sides of the cab as they have blown ie moisture inside of all four apparently this is a common problem on a class Hymers.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
For my next m home I was looking at the merc or iveco and with a twin wheel set up, I like the set up of the RS with the large sofas and kitchen worktops and cooker so this seems the natural choice.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
@canopus well we have just about got through the list of warranty items on our Hymer only a new set of wheels to be fitted in January and the front double glazed windows both sides of the cab as they have blown ie moisture inside of all four apparently this is a common problem on a class Hymers.

Yes the double glazed side windows are notorious for blowing on all A class, we had ours replaced when we bought it paid for by the dealer. I have said it loads but in my opinion the quality went down after 2006 in all marques.
We bought a little 2005 Concorde this year and it's lovely quality but fingers crossed still. Iveco twin rear wheel 6 speed manual 6.5 metres.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I know this is an old thread but started having thoughts that I like the slide out version, I’m going to drive over to have a closer look, we have a 9 mtr burstner so size isn’t an issue, my misses enjoys cooking and is really struggling with the kitchen space in ours, though she did manage Christmas dinner, it’s the finance bit that I will need to try and get my head around, will be looking to buy used only.
What are the problem areas on the RS Elysian, does it have any?
Cheers
Mark

Delivery dates need to be taken with a pinch of salt - Mine is running 8 weeks late but I have been to the factory several times over the last few weeks and would be confident of that timing now.

Worth visiting the factory - they downsized so it is n't huge, very busy - they had five Elysian chassis on the go when I was there last week as well as several Endeavours. I heavily bespoked my previous two vehicles - they are (wisely) discouraging that so that they can keep a straightforward production line running. To be honest, I can't think of anything extra I would want on the new one - they offer a wide range of accessories from awnings to solar etc.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
For my next m home I was looking at the merc or iveco and with a twin wheel set up, I like the set up of the RS with the large sofas and kitchen worktops and cooker so this seems the natural choice.
Definitely worth a factory visit - the new models have had a major overhaul like underfloor heating and lithium ion batteries as standard

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks Ceejayt

Are they at Worksop now? I’m afraid I definitely can’t afford a new one,
What year did they start with the underfloor heating/lithium batteries?
Im going to arrange a visit on the 5th jan, just to have a look at the used stock, Elysian in particular, depending on how that goes and if they can offer a good trade in for my burstner will depend on if I can progress.
Even though we have a 9mtr Motorhome the kitchen area is seriously lacking workspace, as do most European models we have looked at, hoping that RS is the answer
Cheers
Mark

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There are a couple of Elysians used I think (one of them would be mine ) if they haven’t sold it yet. Underfloor heating etc is in latest model. Mine had Alde plus we also had webasto diesel to add heat really quickly when returning to the van after it had been empty for a while with no heating on. Webasto addition was also really useful when my wife liked to get the vehicle to 25 degrees plus and U was down to my underwear!!!

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi ceejayt

Is your old one the 2013 model, with the extra heater control panel adjacent to the door?

We’re going tomorrow to have a look at them, but fear if it doesn’t have a rear garage we might struggle for space, there is on on the site with large garage but not so sure the interior suits us, everything has a compromise I suppose when your not specifying yourself
Cheers
Mark

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi ceejayt

Is your old one the 2013 model, with the extra heater control panel adjacent to the door?

We’re going tomorrow to have a look at them, but fear if it doesn’t have a rear garage we might struggle for space, there is on on the site with large garage but not so sure the interior suits us, everything has a compromise I suppose when your not specifying yourself
Cheers
Mark
Nope - no extra heating control panel near the door - the switch for the webasto is in the interior by the sofa. Mine had a rear garage with entry doors both sides - will have a quick look on their website to see if I can find a link to mine if it is still there - may have been sold.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Nope, mine is not on the site so they must have sold t already. The 2013 model has th very low garage so probably wouldn't suit you I guess

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back