Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
While I was away last week, I was up on my roof trying to get a TV signal (another story) I noticed that in the rear corner, the surface appears to be splitting and has lifted from the base. I don't have any leaks, and trust me the weather we had last week, we would have known, although I am a bit worried that it could become a problem if i don't sort it.
Any suggestions? I assume its years of heat and cold and of course the elements that have caused it.

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I think so, its sort of like a cobbled effect, but it feels like plastic, it is quite thick, maybe 4 to 6 mm ?
I think there may have been a rack up there at some point in its life as there are some filled holes. The filler looks like a grey rubber type material.
I've had a look through some of the threads on roof repair, is there something I should be putting on it regular basis?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are special rubber roof paints,but they are expensive,and once you start to paint the roof it becomes a job you have to continue doing.
Best thing is get one of the proper rubber roof cleaners and give it a good scrubbing,that way you will find any hidden problems under the dirt.
Then make a desision if you want to paint the whole roof or just patch repair and paint.
Which ever way you go you must remove anything that is loose or flaking first.
What you must remember is that you can have a small leak in the roof a long time before it becomes evident on the inside...by then the damage is done.

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
There are special rubber roof paints,but they are expensive,and once you start to paint the roof it becomes a job you have to continue doing.
Best thing is get one of the proper rubber roof cleaners and give it a good scrubbing,that way you will find any hidden problems under the dirt.
Then make a desision if you want to paint the whole roof or just patch repair and paint.
Which ever way you go you must remove anything that is loose or flaking first.
What you must remember is that you can have a small leak in the roof a long time before it becomes evident on the inside...by then the damage is done.

That is my worry, I have been up on the roof a few times, and in general it just appears to be dirty, It has as i said a few holes that have been filled at some point in its life.
Is there a specific cleaner, or could I just get up there with a good scrubbing brush?
Are there any recommended companies on here that sell cleaners and sealers?

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi

We have just done our roof and it looks great if you could see it from above. We cleaned the roof with a special cleaner and it was filthy what a surprise when we found we had a white roof. We got the Elastomeric paint from Linda at Stateside Tunning then painted the roof we managed to get 3 coats out of the tin but you have to have a totally dry roof to start and at least 24 dry hours for the rubber paint to cure. I have been told that the paint should last for at least 7 to 10 years if it is not damaged.

Kevin and Tricia

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi...your not on your own i have cleaned and painted my rubber roof regularly but last year i noticed a bubble a pear about 10" .i was up there not long ago and now it has spread ,like you i have no leaks (YET) if i press the bubble it feels like dried leaves underneath .i think the glue has failed and the wooden boards have started to peel ,don't know if i can cut and roll back the affected area clean off the boards treat and reseal with eternabond what do all you think?:Doh:
dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back