First Time Motorhomers (1 Viewer)

Rosie and Poppy

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
Funster No
We have just bought our first motorhome - a left hand drive Euramobil C612 SB (W Reg, 2000) and feeling very excited about it too. She is called Helga - its a long story.
We have bought the SOG for the loo, thermal screens (internal) and the ACSI camping card.
So - what are the "must haves" all of you can recommend?

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Welcome !!!

flyingwelcome......A bottle opener..and a sense of humour !...You are about to be inundated with suggestions..all of them useful...my first suggestion would be wheel levellers and a roll flat hose with a variety of connections...Stephen :thumb: :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi :welcomefunster: Rosie and Poppy

I personally would make sure of the corkscrew, essentials first, then take a local trip and see what you need. It is too easy to buy lots of things that you think are essential and find you have to put in classified adds to get rid of later.

Best of luck.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hello:thumb:

...and what they said, it easy and fun to go mad buy loads of goodies/must haves but it's wise to go local first and see how you go:thumb:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Welcome.....bought our first last year....loads of laughs the first trip with all the things we forgot in our excitement....plates etc.

take your time and learn to laugh... that way you will find what suites you best.....we all have different tastes..likes and dislikes

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Forget the corkscrew ... I don't drink so just get some coffee in for when we first meet up and you can offer me a drink... I'll bring the biscuits.

My essential must have is ........ 'the ability to tell yourself NO... hold fire'. I bought soooooooo many gadgets and bits and pieces and they either don't work or I never use them.

Make a note of everything (especially the levellers) and keep going local for a few weekends. THEN you will find what YOU need.

I have just bought some expensive (for me) windbreakers which up to now I kept saying I don't need .... but they are going to make such a difference to weekends away.. and there are so many different types.

I bought expensive comfy chairs, but find I leave them at home and take my £3 Morrisons little fold up with me usually cos if parked in a rally a bit away from my friends it is easier to carry.

You will find out by doing experimental runs what is best for YOU and YOUR needs.... and ther are so many lovely dishes and plates out there .. look around first. I wish I had.:thumb:

Oh and if you are going in Winter when it is muddy, something to put on your carpet when you are in the van especially if you have a pooch.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
There are loads of things/gagets you can buy but personally i would just kit it out with beding, pots, pans and cutlery and other normal household stuff like washing liquid etc, and leave them in the motorhome all the time. Important stuff you would probably need are leveling ramps just incase the pitch is not level, a waste caddy for dirty water is good (or even a bucket - costs less) just incase you cant get near the waste dump point. tv if you watch it. Its better to fill with stuff needed as you find it needed rather than buy everything and then never use them

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Welcome to the Funsters

You have done the most important already by joining the funsters :ROFLMAO:

If there is some advise I can give you, it,s ,dont rush out and buy things too soon.
Try out your new home first a few times, making up a list of things you need to get sorted
Otherwise, like most of us, you will end up with a garage full of stuff that seemed like a good idea at the time:ROFLMAO:

There are loads of experianced motor home funsters who will gladly give you advice on anything you are thinking of buying and where to get a good deal
Don,t forget your Funsters discounts :thumb:
Check the discount section before buying anything

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo n Liz
:welcomefunster:flyingwelcome

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I forgot to mention

Our Hymer is called HENGIST
Could be a partnership made in motorhome heaven with HELGA
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo n Liz

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Crumbs Chris. You are never too old to learn. Where's the Funster discount section? I didn't know we had one.:Blush:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I thought we had one!

If we havent then we should have

I am sure i have seen trade ads on here offering discounts !

Happy Days
Chrisboyo ( who did bl##y awful in the qwiz last night):Doh::Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site. what you will need will depend on how you use the van. so use it and see, there are always shops around and looking for something specific is a good reason to go shopping. Why not join us at a show. Lots of goodies for sale at the Shepton Mallet show in Sept.
Link Removed
Crumbs Chris. You are never too old to learn. Where's the Funster discount section? I didn't know we had one.:Blush:
As far as I know all of the advertisers no here offer funsters discount. johns Cross certainly does.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi and welcome. we went through this only 2 months ago, and the guys on here were really helpful, so maybe I get the chance to help out in return now :Smile:

As has been said, you don't NEED a lot: we bought,

gas kettle
toilet chemicals - no idea if a SOG needs them
levelling ramps
wind up flat hose plus the set of 2 adaptors for screw connect taps
a short 5m hose (can't remember the make but it is blue and the tap end is a rubber cone that you fold over to fit any tap - very useful if the tap is close enough and you don't want the hassle of winding the big hose out and in)
plastic glasses from wilko
bottle opener and corkscrew
plastic plates, mugs etc
stackable camping pans and plastic utensils
wine
beer
beer
wine

That was about it, and so far we have not used the levellers - thankfully :Smile:

Hope that helps

David

oh, nearly forgot - we also bought an adaptor for the hook up cable, so we can plug it into the mains at home - good for cooling the fridge before you leave, but probably not really essential :RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hiya

Toilet Roll.

:ROFLMAO:

I say this because every time I go across the road to our nearest Camping shop to buy eg more loo rolls, ie a modest purchase, I usually see something I can't live without and land up spending £50 ......

Trouble is I've been camping/caravanning/motorhoming since 1969 and I've always been the same ........

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fray Bentos Pies...

JJ :Cool:

is that the family size JJ ?

how dare they say it feeds a family of four :Eeek::roflmto:

my comprehensive list of 'must haves'

bottle opener

corkscrew

more space in the fridge for beer and white wine than for food

locker space for red wine.

everything else is an un-necessary luxury.

:thumb::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back