Backup sensors on an RV advice please (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My RV is 24' long and I have a back up camera, but I have blind spots on each corner. Nearly clipped the low brick wall moving it out last weekend and I thought about fitting back up sensors. I have them on one of our cars so I know how they work. What I need to know is will a standard car type work on the RV if I want to extend the sound buzzer unit to the cab. Remembering the car type do not come with a lot of cable and I need to run it much further. Do I have to boost the signal? of will just fitting a similar extention wire in the middle be OK? somewhere I have this idea that I will lose some of the power if I extend the lead?

I have found some on ebay from China for around £20 or so but the only ones in the UK for a truck come in at over £200 and have long cable runs. Any ideas.. all welcome.:Smile:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Sensors .....

Hi, the ones I fitted were under £20 off e-bay. Get the 4 sensor type amd as they fit in plastic cowl they do not have to be the expensive ones. They even come in diffferent colours to match your van. You can cut and extend the buzzer wire but I fitted it in the back of the van and it sounds plenty loud enough. Take the power off the reversing bulb so its much easier to fit it all in the back,:thumb:

Regards Richard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any ideas.. all welcome.:Smile:

I can't see any problems. Apart from the fiddly job of extending the cable which you will probably have to cut and solder. Cut the cable from rear electronics box to indicator and buy the closest match to it ie screened or not, and solder a length in.

I bought one set and being nosey opened up the control box, it looked like it had been soldered by a blacksmith. Sent that back. Got one from Maplin and it looked top quality with 4 sensors. I was too lazy to extend the cable so I can't see the distance readout but get the beeps which is all I need.

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
My RV is 24' long and I have a back up camera, but I have blind spots on each corner. Nearly clipped the low brick wall moving it out last weekend and I thought about fitting back up sensors. I have them on one of our cars so I know how they work. What I need to know is will a standard car type work on the RV if I want to extend the sound buzzer unit to the cab. Remembering the car type do not come with a lot of cable and I need to run it much further. Do I have to boost the signal? of will just fitting a similar extention wire in the middle be OK? somewhere I have this idea that I will lose some of the power if I extend the lead?

I have found some on ebay from China for around £20 or so but the only ones in the UK for a truck come in at over £200 and have long cable runs. Any ideas.. all welcome.:Smile:

Hi, I fitted the wireless ones, indicator and buzzer on dash, no problems with it at all.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
why am I not surprised .. :roflmto:
I do the same thing .. and then sometimes think, why did I pay for this :Doh:

No fun in owning something if you don't know how it works, is there.

Looking inside modern kit is like looking at jewellery that works. I gasp at the sight of components little bigger than a grain of sugar that had been placed by a machine and so fast you can't see them work.

But to sober up I think of DNA, a whole human being blueprint stored in a space we cannot dream of making yet.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
on special offer at Maplins until 8th August

I went down the Maplin route in the end. I was after the product that was available for £29.99 that had only two sensors. That is now discontinued. So I went for the four sensor kit and that is at the moment until the 8th August on 50% off. at £19.99. I was worried about if the cable was long enough if you recall. Well it is not. So I decided to buy two kits and use the bits from both as I needed, that way I got the same type of cable and spare bits and bobs should I need them after it has gone out of production.

I have a nice paint job on the Winnebago and I did not want to spoil it plus it is curved at various places at the rear so I went for locating only two sensors one in the centre of the rear reflectors... Ok do not panic the Winnebago has a double set each side stacked so I am still legal.

The kits came with the circle drill bit and I just did a pilot hole through the reflector then carried on through the fiberglass and that allowed me to fit the sensor. If I say myself not a bad job. Took 5 hours all told but I had to run the cable under the RV.

Being a well built chap despite loseing 6 stone in the last year I still had a problem getting under the RV, so I run it up on the Fiama heavy duty ramps (I have 4 of them) and then used commercial wheel chocks to make it safe. That allowed me to slide under the skirt in to a fairly large area under the RV. Had a good look while under to see the condition and it is still very good with minor surface rust to the prop shaft. But the rest is very clean. I run the cab reader up through the engine housing and clipped it to the cables from the Pioneer sat / back up camera / entertaiment unit fitted by Van Bitz last year. The reader or control head that buzzes and gives an led read out sits in place using velcro tape on top of the Pioneer unit.

With the help of the boss we managed to do the job. Tried a few of the regular sorces to do the work..either wanted a fortune or would not do it.

So for 5 hours £40 and a couple dozen cable ties and some velcro we have a good job that works and meets our needs.

We only wanted to know how we were doing on the blind areas that the camera misses as we back out of the drive where there is a couple of low walls before we reverse in again to hook up the disabled buugy trailer. Only just missed one last time out, hence the need to fit them.. a lot cheaper than £400 excess if I had to claim on the insurance.

You get a lot of satisfaction doing yourself and not the bill of £132.00 for raising the passenger seat done by the garage.. now how do you use a welder I wonder::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back