Barmouth (2 Viewers)

Lorro

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault Kangoo
You can park all night on the main carpark at Barmuth from 6pm to 8am and it is £3.50 during the day. There were several motorhomes there overnight on Saturday. There is a country music festival this weekend. There are several secluded laybyes along the estuary where motorhames are usually parked up. It is a beautiful part of the world not far from Dolgellau and Cadair Idris. Also the beautiful Mora Dyffryn beach and nature reserve isn't far away. It was feature on Springwatch a while ago. Also along the Cabrian coast you can get an all day rail rover ticket for just £6.00 and explore thiis stunningly beautiful part of Wales. Regards LC

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you sure about this cos I am sure when I was there in June there were signs saying no overnight parking.

also, have you actually parked on there and have you been bothered by idiots in cars driving round you blaring their horns and stuff. I had a really horrible experience in June parked on the layby across from the turning for barmouth( the road from Porthmadog)

Bessy regs

Kenny

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shell Island just up the road at £35 per wek and IMO one of the most beutifull campsites in the UK.
You can sit and watch the dolfins swimming up and down and the sunsets are to die for.
Fish from the beach and a nice bar resterant and small supermarket.
I try to wild camp as much as possible but cant beat Shell in that area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I last checked with Gwynedd Council, a couple of years ago, they said:
It states on all Gwynedd Council’s pay and display car parks that vehicles over 1.5 tons are not permitted to use the car park and that sleeping, camping and cooking are not permitted. Overnight parking is not allowed in the Council’s free car park either.

The "sleeping, camping and cooking" statement confirmed information obtained previously.

The car parks page on the Gwynedd Council web site Link Removed now says "You can park for free in all Gwynedd owned car parks (listed above) between 6pm and 8am daily" but that still does not permit "sleeping, camping and cooking".

Graham

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The car parks page on the Gwynedd Council web site Link Removed now says "You can park for free in all Gwynedd owned car parks (listed above) between 6pm and 8am daily" but that still does not permit "sleeping, camping and cooking".

I'm glad they got rid of that 1.5 ton limit - my brain might not be quite up to speed yet, but I think that would have excluded some MPVs, 4WD, etc. For example, my van's got a gross weight of just under 2000kg and the base vehicle is an MPV.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
When I last checked with Gwynedd Council, a couple of years ago, they said:

The "sleeping, camping and cooking" statement confirmed information obtained previously.

Graham

...so if you stay up all night partying, you can park there?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm glad they got rid of that 1.5 ton limit - my brain might not be quite up to speed yet, but I think that would have excluded some MPVs, 4WD, etc. For example, my van's got a gross weight of just under 2000kg and the base vehicle is an MPV.

1.5 ton limits are still fairly common. They arise from the weights quoted in legislation when the relevant Act (can't remember which off the top of my head) was originally passed and are still there because the council hasn't got round to updating its TRO. The intention is normally to prevent parking by commercial vehicles and some councils (though not all) allow (obviously private) motorhomes. The low limits tend not to be enforced these days precisely because so many vehicles now exceed 1.5 tons. I contacted all councils who mentioned the low limit some years ago and their responses are on the web site.

Graham

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Shell Island just up the road at £35 per wek and IMO one of the most beutifull campsites in the UK.
You can sit and watch the dolfins swimming up and down and the sunsets are to die for.
Fish from the beach and a nice bar resterant and small supermarket.
I try to wild camp as much as possible but cant beat Shell in that area.

Maybe out of season but there are some bad reviews of Shell Island camp site on HERE is this the same site?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Maybe out of season but there are some bad reviews of Shell Island camp site on HERE is this the same site?
Think you will find that bad reviews are on bank holliday weekends as most North Wales sites are full then.
I try to go when the kids are at school and would never even leave the house on a Bank holliday weekend never mind try to get to Wales.
I agree with some reviews about roudy behavior but it only seems to hapen at bank holl weekends.
Dont let one or two bad reviews put you off a visit,just pick your time to go.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We stayed on shell on the august bh it was great I think you need to camp near the front among the families rather than further down the back of the site very big groups with lots of vehicles that seem to take over large areas and away from the facilties we dont use the showers etc always congested we met some nice people views the beach dunes campfire a lovely relaxing place to chill out .

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
I've just read all these comments and are slightly worried as we've booked the bank holiday weekend this May.

I'm thinking your correct to pitch up well away from the numpties... I've also been mid week and seen a very peaceful place so if we don't enjoy the bank holiday there, the lesson will be learned and we'll go mid week from now on...

Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Yes, I was wrong, tents and cars etc...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
OK what am I missing it says on their website they only accept tents?

Only restriction is on caravans....."Unfortunately we only have a camping license and therefore cannot accept Caravans"

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I've just read all these comments and are slightly worried as we've booked the bank holiday weekend this May.

I'm thinking your correct to pitch up well away from the numpties... I've also been mid week and seen a very peaceful place so if we don't enjoy the bank holiday there, the lesson will be learned and we'll go mid week from now on...

Seriously do not expect Shell Island to be the same on a Bank Holiday as other times different situation altogether the one thing that helps unless you are with friends their is a 20 Meter rule so it does give you some space around you van.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd be very surprised if overnight MH camping is permitted in Barmouth car parks - I think GJH is on the money here.

Hendre Mynach campsite, which is in Barmouth down the end of the prom is £22.00 a night mid-season for a MH with 2 adults, and if you don't want EHU you can go in the field away from the set piece pitches.

http://www.hendremynach.co.uk/

Obviously it's not Shell Island in terms of dunes and dolphins and such like, but if you want to look around Barmouth, walk along the wide open beach just to north, hike in the hills above, and/or cycle the lovely Mawddach Trail it's ideal. Plus you don't have to go very far to the station for the Cambrian Coaster train service between Pwllheli and Aberdovey.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I was only there yesterday (10/05/15) and I am afraid to say that the Council have stark raving bonkers MAD !
I am not talking about over night stopping just parking in general anywhere in Barmouth where as of now the basic parking charges even for a 10 min. stop over is £3, as I said the Council have gone stark raving bonkers mad!
But over the estuary at Fairbourne (same County Council) the parking charges are a far more reasonable £1. and the fish and chips are every bit as good!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was only there yesterday (10/05/15) and I am afraid to say that the Council have stark raving bonkers MAD !
I am not talking about over night stopping just parking in general anywhere in Barmouth where as of now the basic parking charges even for a 10 min. stop over is £3, as I said the Council have gone stark raving bonkers mad!
But over the estuary at Fairbourne (same County Council) the parking charges are a far more reasonable £1. and the fish and chips are every bit as good!
You must have been in a long stay car park where that is the charge for up to 4 hours. Short stay car park charges start at £1 for up to an hour. See Broken Link Removed.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We stayed overnight on the car park just down the road from shell island, there is a height barrier on the entrance but upon closer inspection you could tell its never locked, there were trees wrapped around the top barrier so it looked like it hasn't been locked for a long time, great views to the rear with a flowing river and a little wild life (y)
P1060147.JPG

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
You must have been in a long stay car park where that is the charge for up to 4 hours. Short stay car park charges start at £1 for up to an hour. See Broken Link Removed.
Well I am sorry to say that about 10 people stopped and looked at the very confusing encapsulated new paper signs that were stuck to the existing signs at 3 different pay and display booths and we were all confused.
I don't know which areas we were stopping at but by looking at the link given above, there is only one carpark at Barmouth where you can short stay and only pay £1, all the rest have a minimum charge of £3.
I was only talking to a retired County Councillor today and he is of the opinion that Barmouth and indeed the County Council of Gwynedd would appear to be going out of their way to stop day trippers actually going to this town.
Even the man who runs the (dreadful) ice cream/tea/coffee kiosk at the far end of the promenade advised us not to pay and he would keep an eye out for the warden and shout loud and clear if he turned up!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Couldn't help noticing on that link that the parking rates for Barmouth include a 24 hour rate. Presumably you're still not allowed to breathe inside your MH overnight or something like that?

I was only talking to a retired County Councillor today and he is of the opinion that Barmouth and indeed the County Council of Gwynedd would appear to be going out of their way to stop day trippers actually going to this town

Surely most day trippers to a seaside spot like Barmouth are going to be there for more than 1 hour? Paying £3 for 4 hours isn't that bad. Maybe what they're trying to do is keep the main car parking areas free of short stay parkers so more people can spend more time there and spend more money? If I was going to the seaside for the day I'd be a bit peeved if I couldn't find long stay parking due to loads of short stayers filling all the spaces.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Just goes to show how Barmouth are winning in their efforts to keep tourists away as the entire length of the pay and display Promenade area was devoid of any parked cars!
We have been going there quite often to buy a fish and chip feast that we then sit in our car along the 'Prom' before walking the dogs along the furthest end of the beach. We won't be doing this any more, instead we will go to Fairbourne as the walks over their are every bit as good!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Couldn't help noticing on that link that the parking rates for Barmouth include a 24 hour rate. Presumably you're still not allowed to breathe inside your MH overnight or something like that?
I don't think anything has changed since my post in 2010 above.
Surely most day trippers to a seaside spot like Barmouth are going to be there for more than 1 hour? Paying £3 for 4 hours isn't that bad. Maybe what they're trying to do is keep the main car parking areas free of short stay parkers so more people can spend more time there and spend more money? If I was going to the seaside for the day I'd be a bit peeved if I couldn't find long stay parking due to loads of short stayers filling all the spaces.
Exactly. Parking charges vary between places depending how busy they are and what sort of problems can be caused by parked vehicles.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Exactly. Parking charges vary between places depending how busy they are and what sort of problems can be caused by parked vehicles.

....and Councils that decide they can make money out of parking charges then wonder why businesses close, folks drive out of town where parking is free and town and city centres die...........

:doh::doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
....and Councils that decide they can make money out of parking charges then wonder why businesses close, folks drive out of town where parking is free and town and city centres die...........

:doh::doh:
Not that old one again Vic, please. It's all urban legends. Where is there any real evidence that shows that parking charges are to blame for town centres dying? There are far more reasons for the demise of town centres than parking charges.

Middlesbrough Council dropped parking charges for the first 2 hours a couple of years ago in town centre car parks and it made no difference to footfall, except that people now have less far to walk and the free car parks slightly further out are empty. The private car park in the centre, which still charges, is still busy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back