BBQ in French campsite (1 Viewer)

jensonbutton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
Funster No
are you permitted to bbq on french campsites or do sites operate their own policies?

i mean charcoal bbq not gas
many thanks
Jenson

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive only been once with the mh but all of the sites we stayed at allowed BBQ'S.
Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
BBQ in France

If the site gives permission they then accept legal liability if anything goes wrong, so most will not allow open flame BBQ. We have found that they will hire a gas unit (make some more money it seems) but I used a Cobb unit at various French sites this past summer with no problems as it is a closed unit. It is a case of asking and expecting to be told no unless you can show there is no risk of sparks for obvious reasons, especially in the dry South of France. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If the site gives permission they then accept legal liability if anything goes wrong, so most will not allow open flame BBQ. We have found that they will hire a gas unit (make some more money it seems) but I used a Cobb unit at various French sites this past summer with no problems as it is a closed unit. It is a case of asking and expecting to be told no unless you can show there is no risk of sparks for obvious reasons, especially in the dry South of France. :Smile:

Yep right! you've said it all!!

Usually it is written on the little advertising book of the campsite.

"les barbecues sont interdits" or "les barbecues sont interdits , exceptés ceux au gaz ou électriques".
If you happen to wild camp in south France your flames/smoke will be seen hundred yards away as the local authorities use now water cattles as "miradors" , and students are paid all season to keep an eye 24/24 7/7 on our so precious woods and forests, preventing as well our firemen to die because of the people stupidity. It is at the moment sooooooo dry everywhere that we expect again lots of fires.
BTW please , you , smokers , don't throw through your car windows your cigarette when still burning! Thank you all

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It is at the moment sooooooo dry everywhere that we expect again lots of fires.
BTW please , you , smokers , don't throw through your car windows your cigarette when still burning! Thank you all

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

This is not a problem in Scotland ... :winky:

0_my_photographs_scotland_-_glencoe_rain_1bm4.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
3 weeks now Jim that i'm praying for a bit of rain and ....nothing! Not even a drop! We had thunder , lighting.... and then nothing !
I guess when winter will be taking place again i will regret sun and warmth::bigsmile::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
3 weeks now Jim that i'm praying for a bit of rain and ....nothing! Not even a drop! We had thunder , lighting.... and then nothing !
I guess when winter will be taking place again i will regret sun and warmth::bigsmile::winky:

Amicalement

well, it's been really warm and dry in East Anglia. We are off on Friday for a three week tour of our home country and really looking forward to a bit of cooler weather and no doubt a lot of rain.. but it will be fun .. and it will be under canvass , makes a change from the gin palace we were used to .... so Jan says anyway :roflmto:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Amicalement

Don't panic Frankie, 25 days until the haganaps hit France again for our annual vacation, We will definately bring the rain with us:Blush:

As for the OP, just to add alot depends where you go. some sites in forests allow for BBQs by providing communal ones that are brick built with fire fighting facilities. Its great as often a few campers will get together and make it alot of fun.

Froggy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Vereeniging, South Africa
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
BBQ in South Africa (we call it a BRAAI) is a standard thing when camping. 90% of the time it is open fire (wood) , 8% charcoal & 2 gas.

Steaks, tjops & boerewors (stuffed sausage) are standard items to "braai"

A nice piece of steak (rump) will cost about 0.5£ per kilogram.

On camping weekends the people will BBQ Friday / Saterday & Sunday specially at the evenings. The men will do the BBQ.

Breakfast will be beacon & eggs cooked outside on gas, also done by the men.

Evenings they will make a big wood fire and sit around it and drink & chat.

Froggy

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Vereeniging, South Africa
Funster No
MH
Sprinter Campervan
Exp
3 (caravaning 30 years)
Correction, price of local Rump Steak @ 4.8 pound / kilogram

Sorry :Doh:

And not @ 0.5 pound/kg >>>> must have been the price for local donkey steaks :Eeek:

P.S.
Can you edit a thread ??

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Correction, price of local Rump Steak @ 4.8 pound / kilogram

Sorry :Doh:

And not @ 0.5 pound/kg >>>> must have been the price for local donkey steaks :Eeek:

P.S.
Can you edit a thread ??

Hi Froggy nice to see you back on the forum,iam not sure about editing a thread,but iexpect some will be along shortly to put you right, cheers Alf.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
are you permitted to bbq on french campsites or do sites operate their own policies?

i mean charcoal bbq not gas
many thanks
Jenson

We have used a few that have built in or communal BBQ's, most others say OK except in very dry periods.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Froggy P.S. Can you edit a thread ??[/QUOTE said:
Hi I believe you can edit for a short time after initial posting, not sure how long. If you go back into it it comes up with edit as first option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back