Berated in a disabled parking space by socilaist misfits! (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 57092

Deleted User
Where we live in Wales local papers do feature sections for dealers to advertise their ‘motability’ new car leasing deals.
It appears that (from local observation) being grossly obese and having appalling dress sense is a legitimate disability/ being genuinely disabled means that your mobility is impaired and when the national dish is chips and red pop its inevitable you will gain weight/ having attained that body shape only ‘liesure’ clothing is confortably wearable
Discuss.......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I genuinely love this club and forum but a few of the bigoted idiots do wind me up. You see and hear members of fun at meets question how people using mobility scooters are not disabled, just fat and lazy. They take the piss out of the mentally disabled. And people laugh and just see "the funny side" not the hate crime

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It’s not the rolls Royce’s or Bentleys it’s the low down weeny sports cars that get me! If you can contort your body enough to get in AND out of one it’s questionable that you require ..... actually scratch that, it’s probably WHY you need the blue badge!!

That's not always so, I have a friend who is a double amputee but, still insists on having Lotus sports cars that'd make an athlete struggle.
Admittedly he is the exception rather than the rule.
He spends most of his time in the gym & I often jibe him that he'd bloody need to be fit to get into his cars!
His take on things is, that it is the access for him to use his wheelchair that is the issue, being near to a door doesn't matter to him.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That's not always so, I have a friend who is a double amputee but, still insists on having Lotus sports cars that'd make an athlete struggle.
Admittedly he is the exception rather than the rule.
He spends most of his time in the gym & I often jibe him that he'd bloody need to be fit to get into his cars!
His take on things is, that it is the access for him to use his wheelchair that is the issue, being near to a door doesn't matter to him.

That’s the issue for my husband too......he wouldn’t get in a Lotus though!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I genuinely love this club and forum but a few of the bigoted idiots do wind me up. You see and hear members of fun at meets question how people using mobility scooters are not disabled, just fat and lazy. They take the piss out of the mentally disabled. And people laugh and just see "the funny side" not the hate crime

But to mock is not too hate,.....is it? Agreed it’s hurtful to the recipient and whoever does it is a complete Dick.....but hate? We

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
But to mock is not too hate,.....is it? Agreed it’s hurtful to the recipient and whoever does it is a complete Dick.....but hate? We
try mocking a black man about his colour, a lesbian or transgender person or maybe a muslim. Being abusive about a disabled person's disability is no different. The world has changed in the last 10 years and that sort of bigoted crap is no longer tolerated

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It appears that (from local observation) being grossly obese and having appalling dress sense is a legitimate disability/ being genuinely disabled means that your mobility is impaired and when the national dish is chips and red pop its inevitable you will gain weight/ having attained that body shape only ‘liesure’ clothing is confortably wearable
Discuss.......

Ok here goes. I've always struggled with my weight, I'm not a big eater but, I've always needed to do a lot more exercise than most to maintain my fitness & stay at an acceptable weight.
I badly damaged my right hip in a farm accident when I was about 15yrs old. I had an argument between a tractor, a wall & me, needless to say I came of worse.
I've had a few operations over the years & have plenty surgical grade steel in my right hip & femur.
The ortho surgeon warned me on day one that by the time I was 50 this injury would come back to haunt me & he was spot on.
I was always into certain sports, I liked playing ice hockey, speed skating, swimming, jogging & was a serious hillwalker.
The gentle onset of arthritis didn't hold me back til I reached my mid 50s.
Fast forward a few years & I had to retire due to the arthritis. I'd never had a day off sick due to the arthritis but, now its a case of bone on bone, its excruciatingly painful.
My biggest problem isn't really the arthritis, my ortho unit want to replace the damaged hip, my weight problem is the issue, I need to lose weight to allow the operation but, I'm having a dour & bitter struggle in losing weight. Upshot is that I'm badly disabled & obese.
Not a good combination, but my weight most definitely wasn't the cause of my arthritis.

Now pop me in a disabled bay (with badge displayed) & I know only too well what people see. An obese man who's disabled. I'm not a benefits scrounger & still pull my weight (please pardon the pun).
Can you imaging how it feels when people judge me on first sight? I can tell you, its heartbreaking.
Then I read various comments on here regarding obesity & disability, that really hurts.
I've always been someone who didn't give a toss about peoples opinion of me, if they haven't liked me its their problem, not mine but, boy am I struggling to get through this.

There is always a brighter side to things & in my case its the fact that my walking is so bad that I rarely go out!:ROFLMAO:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I don't get this are "they" really disabled thing, every where we go there are load's of empty disabled parking bays, I personally couldn't give a flying f if someone should or should not be parked somewhere, or on a scooter etc, I have far more important stuff going on in my ugly head to worry, plan & workout, Maybe if I retire I'll have too much time on my hands & will be able to fret about such stuff :p

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ok here goes. I've always struggled with my weight, I'm not a big eater but, I've always needed to do a lot more exercise than most to maintain my fitness & stay at an acceptable weight.
I badly damaged my right hip in a farm accident when I was about 15yrs old. I had an argument between a tractor, a wall & me, needless to say I came of worse.
I've had a few operations over the years & have plenty surgical grade steel in my right hip & femur.
The ortho surgeon warned me on day one that by the time I was 50 this injury would come back to haunt me & he was spot on.
I was always into certain sports, I liked playing ice hockey, speed skating, swimming, jogging & was a serious hillwalker.
Fast forward a few years & I had to retire due to the arthritis. I'd never had a day off sick due to the arthritis but, now its a case of bone on bone, its excruciatingly painful.
My biggest problem isn't really the arthritis, my ortho unit want to replace the damaged hip, my weight problem is the issue, I need to lose weight to allow the operation but, I'm having a dour & bitter struggle in losing weight. Upshot is that I'm badly disabled & obese.
Not a good combination, but my weight most definitely wasn't the cause of my arthritis.

Now pop me in a disabled bay (with badge displayed) & I know only too well what people see. An obese man who's disabled. I'm not a benefits scrounger & still pull my weight (please pardon the pun).
Can you imaging how it feels when people judge me on first sight? I can tell you, its heartbreaking.
Then I read various comments on here regarding obesity & disability, that really hurts.
I've always been someone who didn't give a toss about peoples opinion of me, if they haven't liked me its their problem, not mine but, boy am I struggling to get through this.

There is always a brighter side to things & in my case its the fact that my walking is so bad that I rarely go out!:ROFLMAO:
your'e not on your own with that Robert, I have been fighting my weight gain for 27 years. Since a drunkard oap crashed his car into my vehicle breaking my back in 3 places. Complications saw me pumped full of steroids regularly and certainly didn't help the weight. Thankfully I have lost 40kg and 10 inches round the waist since last christmas. So there is hope for us all.
Sadly the bigots just see a big fat person to ridicule and abuse with no ideas behind the reasons

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Twiggy was all the rage when I was
try mocking a black man about his colour, a lesbian or transgender person or maybe a muslim. Being abusive about a disabled person's disability is no different. The world has changed in the last 10 years and that sort of bigoted crap is no longer tolerated

I wouldnt though. But I might mock him about his driving. But mainly I try to smile at people and help them. And funnily enough I haven’t had to endure funny looks and scorn. I’m just saying ‘mocking is different to ‘hate’. Well in my opinion anyway!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Very well put. The point is that any disability that prevents exercise makes losing weight extremely difficult and makes gaining it incredibly easy. You are not on your own being offended by the unnecessary comments on the thread (and I'm not disabled).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
your'e not on your own with that Robert, I have been fighting my weight gain for 27 years. Since a drunkard oap crashed his car into my vehicle breaking my back in 3 places. Complications saw me pumped full of steroids regularly and certainly didn't help the weight. Thankfully I have lost 40kg and 10 inches round the waist since last christmas. So there is hope for us all.
Sadly the bigots just see a big fat person to ridicule and abuse with no ideas behind the reasons

Many people have weight issues but when some overweight people stuff trollies full of high calorie food, it doesn't make it easy for some observers to understand. Nor is it easy to see why so many obese people people use mobility scooters rather than exercise. Maybe it is less about being bigoted and more about some people being frustrated when so many resources are spent on people who appear to have chosen obesity as a life choice.

Reactions: GPW

pabu

Free Member
Jul 16, 2018
isle of Mull
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
'75 to '80 then 2005 to present
So many themes on this thread .
Many people become disabled, being disabled without supportive and rational understanding is depressing. For many the attendant sudden poverty is depressing. Look at which foods are cheap, 3 for the price of two. The inability to get our natural opiates going through feel good Exercise is absent.
Mental health is badly affected by generalised disapproval.
The high fibre, grain and low fat myth with hidden sugar pushed by the big commercial cereal, flour and refined carbohydrate companies are leading to ever younger type diabetics and this on WHO and Government guidelines. The dietetics profession in America is funded by Nestled, Macdonald, Coca-Cola.
Big pharma introduced insulin into the type 2 diabetic treatment regimes. Insulin is the hungry hormone Type one diabetics need it and are fine but type 2 will gain a lot of weight year on year especially as they are advised to graze, another bad idea promoted by governmental best practice.
Obesity is a complex issue which has been in a large part driven by greedy commercial gain .
As Michael Mosely discovered you can't out run a bad diet and that little exercise is justas effective as a workout, exercise is good but not essential and I did the gym thing for a year then stopped as I couldn't afford it and went to fat. Incidentaly Another big earner
As 80 per cent of us now are at risk of overweight should we criticise? Do we know the whole story?
I mostly manage my weight but I am aware of all the pitfalls and thank goodness for Zoe Harcombe
Lets not shame and blame.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Here’s my “blue badge story” to add to the mix....
Before I retired I was a manager on a large industrial site. We had several car parks on the site and, as an equal opportunity employer, the car parks all had marked disabled bays close to the building entrances. As I left “my” building one day, there was a lady getting out of her car which was in a disabled space. I dallied a little, and noted the absence of a blue badge. So I asked the lady: “you realise this is a disabled space?”
“Oh yes” she said “but I’m only going to be a few minutes”. To this classic response I (metaphorically) put on my management hat and started to explain the error of her ways.
Her response was “oh, but I’ve got a disabled badge.”
At which point I started to apologise, and suggested that she should display the badge on the dashboard.
“Ah,” she said “I have got a disabled badge, it’s in the car. But I don’t really like to use it much”
Why not?” I asked.
“Because it’s my mother’s”.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think its good that people challenge those using disabled bays who appear not to be disabled but maybe not the best way to approach them

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I think its good that people challenge those using disabled bays who appear not to be disabled but maybe not the best way to approach them
Not all disabilities are visible. Why should we have to prove to the hoi poloi that we have a hidden disability and in many cases face embarrassment explaining what our disability is.... Simple as this, blue badge in window and take our word for it don't embarress us into divulging what our disability is....

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Have you any idea what you have just said or what it’s like to have and live with a disability .have your not heard of a unseen disability ?maybe we should go around with a bell round our necks or patch on our our coats even using the word (them) when talking about someone with a disability makes it sound like we are the gr8t unwashed

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
It’s ignorant to challenge a blue badge user just because their disability is hidden. I’m a wheelchair user but able to use crutches to retrieve my wheelchair from the boot of our car, I get suspicious looks whilst retrieving it. That makes me feel ‘under the microscope’ so it must be awful to feel subject to scrutiny and challenge because your disability isn’t obvious. We should not have a society where people feel guilty through no fault of their own.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you any idea what you have just said or what it’s like to have and live with a disability .have your not heard of a unseen disability ?maybe we should go around with a bell round our necks or patch on our our coats even using the word (them) when talking about someone with a disability makes it sound like we are the gr8t unwashed
I mean't those who do not have a blue badge. I see people using disabled spaces all the time with no badge and also have had my mother in law offer me the use of her badge when I offered to fetch something for her from the supermarket. I think the spaces are often abused by a small number of people who probably do it all the time . The op is right to say the type of car has nothing to do with whether a bay should be used or not and he had a badge on display in this case he is right about the people making remarks. I do however think the scheme ought to be more strictly regulated.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I see many people get out of their car and walk to the shops, no visible disability, they have a blue badge.... they may have a disability that means they cannot walk far. For most like this would another 20-50yrds make any difference? After all they probably walk more then half a mile around the shops....

My point is although the spaces are close to the shopping, the bays are wider for getting wheelchairs out and many a time I’ve been waiting only to see someone carrying shopping bags in each hand Chuck in boot jump in car badge in glove box and off...

Parents with kids don’t have to have a badge and some need extra space to get prams out...

When I go out shopping if there is no bays available then I either have to wait or go home because if I park in a normal bay then all too often someone parks next to me in a normal fashion then I can’t get in my car... and that’s decking annoying when it’s raining....

Once I parked in a car park at 9.15am no spare blue bays but I was only going to be 5mins so parked on bay with a space next to it and parked over a bit to discourage someone parking there... when I came back there was a car there. 5.30pm the chap came back from work and moved his car.

Whilst sitting there all day I saw a stream of people parking in the blue bays and happily walking around the shops carrying their shopping.

I’m sorry if you think this is having a go at the people with invisible disabilities or the “walking wounded” but if they can’t find a blue badge bay they have the option to park in a normal bay and are still able to get out of the car. I don’t have that option.

The whole bloody system needs a big overhaul and updating with this blue badge scheme, for instance all should have to pay to park if it’s a payed car park..

The present system is open to too much abuse....

Ps: this post is as about as “PC” as I can get .... :D2
if you know me personally I’ll be back to normal next time you see me...:rofl:

I think the spaces are often abused by a small number of people who probably do it all the time .

I know it’s a large number of people....

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You park where you have to/want or need to mate:xThumb: ----tell them to do one(y)--they don't give blue badges to anyone who does not need one these days --- As far as I know there are no restrictions on what vehicle you drive --What if you needed a wheelchair in the back ?Hardly going to fit one in a Mini,although these days with the mini growing up you probably could fit one in easy :xdoh:
terry
No! You can’t! Even had trouble fitting it in a Juke! Can anyone tell me why they measure boots in litres? I don’t want to fill it with water, a wheelchair and a couple of bags of shopping though....

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I see many people get out of their car and walk to the shops, no visible disability, they have a blue badge.... they may have a disability that means they cannot walk far. For most like this would another 20-50yrds make any difference? After all they probably walk more then half a mile around the shops....

My point is although the spaces are close to the shopping, the bays are wider for getting wheelchairs out and many a time I’ve been waiting only to see someone carrying shopping bags in each hand Chuck in boot jump in car badge in glove box and off...

Parents with kids don’t have to have a badge and some need extra space to get prams out...

When I go out shopping if there is no bays available then I either have to wait or go home because if I park in a normal bay then all too often someone parks next to me in a normal fashion then I can’t get in my car... and that’s decking annoying when it’s raining....

Once I parked in a car park at 9.15am no spare blue bays but I was only going to be 5mins so parked on bay with a space next to it and parked over a bit to discourage someone parking there... when I came back there was a car there. 5.30pm the chap came back from work and moved his car.

Whilst sitting there all day I saw a stream of people parking in the blue bays and happily walking around the shops carrying their shopping.

I’m sorry if you think this is having a go at the people with invisible disabilities or the “walking wounded” but if they can’t find a blue badge bay they have the option to park in a normal bay and are still able to get out of the car. I don’t have that option.

The whole bloody system needs a big overhaul and updating with this blue badge scheme, for instance all should have to pay to park if it’s a payed car park..

The present system is open to too much abuse....

Ps: this post is as about as “PC” as I can get .... :D2
if you know me personally I’ll be back to normal next time you see me...:rofl:

I know it’s a large number of people....
I think there ought to be a scheme where people register the cars number that goes with the badge then have ANPR on the spaces I know people might then get a lift with someone else and legitimately use the badge but that could be explained when they get the letter it at least might discourage some of the more blatant abusers.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here in Spain you will find more people in receipt of disability pensions than you will find blue badge holders.
Even being in receipt of a disability pension doesn't get you the right & those I know here in receipt of a disability pension are too scared of applying for one for fear that they will have there 'for life' disability pension withdrawn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back