How to convert my van into a camper?? (1 Viewer)

Andy-

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
Funster No
Hi All

I have a Fiat Doblo which I want to convert to a camper; I'm looking at converting the van using a rock and roll bed, fridge unit, sink unit and hob with possibility of mounting a swinging table...and maybe one storage cupboard

I've seen these conversions done on this model but I can't find a company that will do it all to the specs i want - so I will probably get a bit done here by one company and a bit somewhere else

I can get a 3/4 rock and roll bed for about £680 fitted and including boards, upholstery and seat belts - I will have to seek out other companies to do the rest for me

could anyone reccommend a company or two - I have a budget of £1600 - so I've about £1000 after the bed's been installed, so nothing fancy...I'm thinking budget here!

any suggestions welcome -

Andy

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hello:thumb:

Give it a while and you should get some good answers/advise as there are a couple of bids on here with Doblos:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this is a list of required items usually needed for self build motorhome insurance.

A fully converted DIY motorhome or self build campervan must have all of the following permanently built in:
  • A built in bed
  • A wardrobe
  • Cooking facilities
  • A seating/dining area
  • Housing for water storage
the bed can be a r+r sofa, which kills two birds with one stone, and the wardrobe could be a cupboard i suppose.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
this is a list of required items usually needed for self build motorhome insurance.

A fully converted DIY motorhome or self build campervan must have all of the following permanently built in:
  • A built in bed
  • A wardrobe
  • Cooking facilities
  • A seating/dining area
  • Housing for water storage
the bed can be a r+r sofa, which kills two birds with one stone, and the wardrobe could be a cupboard i suppose.

and if you make the cuboard make it to take a removable water container
dont think they have to be plumbed in just a sensible size:thumb:

OP
OP
A

Andy-

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
Funster No
I'm situated in Manchester (UK), wivv's dad

I've just sent an enquiry to cannonsforge in Notts, but they look a bit out of my league. I'm looking for one company who will complete the conversion without pulling my arms off - I've considered doing this myself but my first time and would take to long for me to learn I think :Sad:

OK, I'll check back tomorrow and see what's been said (I've got faith in y'all) :winky:

Andy-

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
:welcome:

Sorry...I've got a Doblo but it's one of the Danbury range, not a custom job, so I can't be of much help. My idea of customizing is picking the options in the accessories list, like sun canopy or air conditioning :Smile: - the bed, cooker, sink, fridge, etc. were all standard fit.

Having said that, if you ever visit a show/meet and I'm there, you're welcome to take a look to get ideas or to see how they crammed everything in.

Dogslow

Free Member
Jul 19, 2010
N.E.England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Brand New
converting

Cordoba Leisure in Bradford make kits to convert most vans .Quality is very good.They can supply or supply fit at reasonable prices.They are doing work for me right now.
Also Google "SBMCC" this club website is very valuable People post pictures what they have achieved in the build process this helped me alot Because I had never done one before.
Cordoba by the way convert normal vans into High Roof vans I saw them when I was there the finish was very good.
Hope that helps

A

all sports trail

Deleted User
fiat doblo campers

Hi All

I have a Fiat Doblo which I want to convert to a camper; I'm looking at converting the van using a rock and roll bed, fridge unit, sink unit and hob with possibility of mounting a swinging table...and maybe one storage cupboard

I've seen these conversions done on this model but I can't find a company that will do it all to the specs i want - so I will probably get a bit done here by one company and a bit somewhere else

I can get a 3/4 rock and roll bed for about £680 fitted and including boards, upholstery and seat belts - I will have to seek out other companies to do the rest for me

could anyone reccommend a company or two - I have a budget of £1600 - so I've about £1000 after the bed's been installed, so nothing fancy...I'm thinking budget here!

any suggestions welcome -

Andy
Hi to you all here
andy found this on the web take a look for some ideas for a fiat doblo camper conversion and elevating roofs for them old shape doblo and the new 2010 models :spam: :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here is a list of requirements for your conversion
"Motor caravan" means a special purposes passenger car constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
• seats and table,
• sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
• cooking facilities, and
• Storage facilities.
This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.
The interpretation applied to this definition is as follows
Seats and a Table
• Are required to be an integral part of the living accommodation area, and mounted independently of other items.
• The table must be capable of being mounted directly to the vehicle floor and /or side wall.
• The table mounting arrangement must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded), although the table may be detachable.
• Permanently secured seating must be available for use at the table.
• The seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side wall.
• The seats must be secured as a permanent feature, (bolted riveted, screwed or welded).
Sleeping Accommodation
• Must be an integral part of the living accommodation area.
• Either beds or a bed converted from seats (to form a mattress base)
• Secured as a permanent feature, with base structures bolted, riveted, screwed or welded to the vehicle floor and / or side wall, (unless the sleeping accommodation is provided as a provision over the driver’s cab compartment.
Cooking Facilities
• That is an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and is mounted independently of other items.
• That is secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall.
• Secured as a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded.
• The cooking facility must consist of a minimum of a two ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel/power source.
If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply, the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.
Storage Facilities
• Storage facilities must be provided by a cupboard or locker.
• The facility must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation, ie mounted independently of other items, unless incorporated below seat/sleeping accommodation or the cooking facility.
• The storage facility must be a permanent feature, (bolted, riveted, screwed or welded).
• The storage facility must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side wall; unless a storage provision is provided over the driver’s cab compartment.

Your van will need second hand stuff to get under your £1000 budget
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back