Snipe 2 Update (1 Viewer)

Jellybean

Free Member
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Hi,
Firstly, please be gentle as I'm not technically minded at all. Having problems with our Snipe 2 not finding Astra 2 (even in a big open space beside the shore). Rang Avtex, spoke to a very scathing guy who told me to run the update files. Well the stuff that's coming up on the Selfsat website is not the same as the pictures on the instruction manual that I printed. Can anyone advise? I was at the end of my tether thinking of 3 weeks in France with my husband, son and no TV, but luckily for me Irish Ferries have just cancelled our ferry home...…

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
J

Jellybean

Free Member
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Yes I have a USB stick, if I download that stuff onto it, can I plug the stick directly into the controller unit? That’s what it shows in the instructions online, but it’s only giving me an option for “firmware” for Snipe 2, and I don’t even know what that is!

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
If you send an email to service@selfsat.com and ask them for the latest version of the Snipe2 firmware they will send you it. The version they send it a lot newer than the one on the website.

When they send you a file back is it will be a zip archive. If you click and open the zip file on your PC and copy the FWUPDATE.BIN file inside it to your USB stick...

Put the USB stick into the Snipe Controller and power it up pressing the TUNE and POWER button together. The display will show that it is upgrading.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Not sure if this is allowed but I have attached to the latest firmware update they have sent me - its version 18041 and works fine on my Snipe2...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• SNIPE2 upgrade firmware_18041.zip
    76.6 KB · Views: 369
OP
OP
J

Jellybean

Free Member
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Thanks so much both of you, I’ll try that tomorrow and let you know

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Sorry can’t help but can anyone help me I have a Snipe Max Pro that’s not working got in touch with AC DC who sent me an update as above but my snipe doesn’t have an usb connection but a smaller one so update is no use to me so I am looking for a repair man / Company who work on Snipes we live in Cambridgeshire any contact would be appreciated

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry can’t help but can anyone help me I have a Snipe Max Pro that’s not working got in touch with AC DC who sent me an update as above but my snipe doesn’t have an usb connection but a smaller one so update is no use to me so I am looking for a repair man / Company who work on Snipes we live in Cambridgeshire any contact would be appreciated
By smaller one I assume you mean the small USB socket common on phones? If so adapters are available cheaply.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Pages from the Snipe Max Pro user manual.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1176615/Selfsat-Snipe-Pro.html?page=13

Snipe Max Pro.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One thing I found with the Snipe 2 is it does not recognise large USB sticks the upgrade wouldn't work with a 32 GB stick a 4 GB worked fine.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Thanks for your help, have the snipe book and seen the lead. But if I download onto a usb and not from a portable pc will need different lead. I’ll pop down to shops to see if I can get correct adapter. Still would like info in finding someone to look at it as I’m having no luck.

OP
OP
J

Jellybean

Free Member
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
UPDATE
OK, got the files to the USB, did the upgrade no bother. Drove to the nearest bit of coast this evening (we live in a forest lol so never get signal at home). Despite high winds and driving rain it locked onto Astra 2 no problem. Thanks so much to everyone who offered help and advice. And I got rebooked with Irish Ferries on an alternative sailing, so all in all it’s been a good day

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Well that just goes to prove how valuable a lot we all are on the forums and you never know when we might be able to help or dig you out of a sticky spot again in the future, so why not upgrade to a full membership and enjoy the benefits and access to everybody's years of knowledge. (y)

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
One thing I found with the Snipe 2 is it does not recognise large USB sticks the upgrade wouldn't work with a 32 GB stick a 4 GB worked fine.
Yes I found that - also had trouble recording on my Avtex to - so I bough an AVTEX branded USB stick (expensive but worth it) and recordings work perfectly and it also works in the Snipe...

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi all
I have received another firmware update today, version 18061 for Snipe2 dated June 2018.
File attached for those who might want to use it...

Attachments

• SNIPE2 Upgrade file.zip
    76 KB · Views: 182

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
How long did the update take, Richard? I’ve put the usb stick in, got the ‘F/W update’ message, but that was 30 minutes ago, and the message is still the same........ Does it really take that long?

Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’ve put the usb stick in, got the ‘F/W update’ message, but that was 30 minutes ago, and the message is still the same........ Does it really take that long?
About 10 - 15 seconds.
What size USB stick are you using as it doesn't like big ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's your problem, works with a 4GB.

Edit:
Posted your update while I was typing, not tried 8 GB but wouldn't work with a 16GB but worked fine with a 4GB.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Just tried a 2Gb stick -still no luck, just the message ‘USB connected. F/W update mode’

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Try unplugging the power for a couple of minutes then try agin, also worth giving the stick a full format not a quick one then load the file.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Ok..... I’ve just tried the original 8GB stick, after having disconnected the controller from the antenna (leaving the power lead connected).......and it worked! Updated in about 2 seconds, self-checked and finished. Reconnected the antenna, powered up and went straight to Astra 2 and locked-on to satellite. I assume that leaving the antenna connected was the issue as the ‘Controller type C’ instructions on the Selfsat website recommends that it be disconnected.....pity it didn’t mention that in the Snipe 2 manual!!!

Thanks for your input, Lenny.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
you are following the correct process arn't you

Prepare and make sure the controller is being turned off before upgrade process is started Plug the USB into USB port on the side of controller Press and hold [TUNE + POWER] buttons together to turn on (If POWER button is pressed first, upgrade mode will not be started) The controller is in upgrade mode and “USB connected, F/W Upgrade Mode” is shown on LCD Upgrade process takes no less than 5 seconds “Upgrade Finished_SET_OK” is shown when the process is completed Lastly, connect the controller to the unit and see it searches the upgraded satellite properly 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Hi, TCG!

Yes- followed those instructions, but disconnected the controller from the antenna, which seemed to make all the difference, but isn’t mentioned in the ‘blurb’......but I’ll know for next time (and hope that it helps others!)

Cheers!

Andy

Žan

Free Member
Dec 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8 years
Hello,

Anyone know how to connect to Eutelsat 16A with snipe 2?

Regards, Žan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back