Small Japanese motorhome show. (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the build quality should not be to bad I would not think 88k or there abuts expensive but the jap have plenty of money
bill

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Typical Japanese naming...... “Nuts Border type D” has a real ring about it. Mind you, they probably think that Autotrail Cherokee sounds weird as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They look quite smart but you will never see them in Europe, the engine between the cab seats makes the front seats unusable when parked, defets the point of having an A Class. With that engine arragement they won't meet EU safety standards for crash protection.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
They look quite smart but you will never see them in Europe, the engine between the cab seats makes the front seats unusable when parked, defets the point of having an A Class. With that engine arragement they won't meet EU safety standards for crash protection.
why wont they meet safety standards for crash protection.
Japan has some of the highest road safety standard in the world don't think they will be lowering there standers any time soon to comply with the EU.
bill

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
why wont they meet safety standards for crash protection.
Japan has some of the highest road safety standard in the world don't think they will be lowering there standers any time soon to comply with the EU.
bill
That may be so, but they may not meet EU standards, which may not be better or worse, just different.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

My Hiace had the centre engine as did the Merc Hymer. Both had seats that swiveled.

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Mazda Bongo's & Toyota campervans are still being shipped to, & sold in the UK today.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
With No toilet they don't meet my standards :D2
I was wondering how the Japanese get on in a motorhome with the "flushing facilities" when they are obsessed with electronically controlled, heated, self washing, music playing (so that nobody hears the ladies tinkle), hi tech bogs............

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
One way or another they will be here in a few years. The Japs are not silly.

BigStevie

Free Member
Feb 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
Since I was a lad
The MH/campervan scene in Japan (autocamping as it's known) is not what it was. It got huge in the 90s and companies were springing up everywhere building vans, that has all changed now, many abandoned camp sites. Back in the day there were even sunday morning TV shows about how to pack your vehicle, set up an outdoor kitchen, how to wash your van etc etc, it was daft.

Many of the forward control Japanese light commercials are not up to EU safety, you'd be surprised what is left out. Generally well engineered, remember the Japanese home market vehicles do not have an ounce of rust proofing, if you import one, get it wax oiled.
Wait five or six years and what's new now will be cheap and affordable, even with the high value of the Japanese Yen.

Ten year old vehicles are worth nothing in Japan, the scrap yards are full of them. Reckon it costs $2000 to import to the UK plus taxes plus any changes (speedo, fuel filler etc).
Lastly, a lot of low kms vehicles from Japan, they're genuine, but remember they've spent all summer with their engines running the a/c. I've seen vans ticking over all night...

The Mazda Bongo/Ford Freindee freetops were launched at the height of the Japanese autocamp boom. They were cheap new (Mazda is a cheap brand in Japan) and again for buttons secondhand.
Top of the tree were the 4wd Mitsubishi Delicas, they were everywhere! The forward control Delicas could be a handful if pushed, the later Delicas are surprisingly good on the rough stuff.
oct 14 020.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

we had a Honda stepwagon that had been converted (UK conversion) where it had the engine under the bonnet so you could enter the habitation area from the front seats - which made it so much easier.

so they do exist and as the Japanese drive on the same side of the road as us, it makes japanese imports well worthwhile considering especially if you can get one with pop top fitted.

if I was looking for one I would definitely consider the Nissan Elgrand !

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
All look very clean, smart & stylish ... who cares about swivel seats when you've been driving for hours? Don't think you could cook a good meal in any of them, though - the disappointment continues .......!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They will still be ridiculously priced when sold second hand here.

Look how much the companies that are importing 20 year old bongos ask for them

15k etc

No toilet or shower and a very uncomfortable looking straight back lounge and dinette

I think I'll pass

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
The H200 Toyota LWB makes a great conversion with space for UK folks to have a loo/shower....and pop roof...they did make the Cruising Cabin with the same back in the day, still lots around even now
A lot of Japanese converters use the H200 as it has 2wd/4wd/diesel/petrol/manual/auto options and also sold as the NV350 Nissan....... as for coachbuilt types the Mazda Bongo/Nissan Vanette is widely used (Bongo NOT the Friendee version you see here)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thanks for sharing this post
as the original post was five years ago, there may be some available for shipping to the uk market now ???

might be worth doing a search for jap vehicle importers ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back