Microsoft Edge Web Browser Coming to the Mac (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yeah, but the current core of Edge is pretty much being abandoned. As mentioned in the press release, the new Edge will essentially be a re-skinned version of Chromium, which is the open source bit of the Google Chrome browser. Chromium rendering engine is a fork of Webkit... which is what Safari is built on. The change to the Chromium base is probably why Edge is suddenly so easy to port to Mac. Don't worry, it's twice removed from Internet Explorer.

I think only Firefox's Gecko engine for desktops isn't in related now... and even then I think the iOS versions of Firefox DO use Webkit?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use Safari on both iMac and my MBP, not keen on Chrome.

Now trying out Opera.. tried it years ago but forgot about it.

So far I like it, faster than Safari, it has a built in add blocker and a VPN that can be switched on or off.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use the Microsoft Edge browser on my Mac and it is bloody fast i'll give it that (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
since not released for OS yet, presumably with boot camp or other ?

Further explanation...My dyslexia seems to be getting worse and in my day job I depend a lot upon Dragon Dictate. Nuance who make dragon have recently dumped Mac users. (because of the rise of Siri I think) So I thought I'd try and run the Windows Version of Dragon on Parallels. Last time i tried Parallels was about 4 versions ago and it was awful, but the latest version is rock solid.

Dragon Dictate is one of the most demanding programs and is often crashing, but on Win 10, within Parallels on my mac it has not crashed once. Given that Dragon forMac was a cut down version and the Windows version was always at least twice as good, I'm well happy to be running it on my Mac.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting how we all have different preferences

I use Chrome on Windows 10, but prefer Edge on Android