"Gilets Jaunes" The French Yellow Vest Protests (2 Viewers)

ACB

Feb 1, 2018
Darnac, 87320, France
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Elegance i800
Exp
Since 2016
For all those heading to / through France this weekend be forewarned that the much publicised Paris protests are actually being carried out nationwide at the majority of major roundabouts on main routes. Even though E Macron has stated that fuel prices will be capped the protests will resume this weekend.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
It’s enough to put you off going, well me anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It’s enough to put you off going, well me anyway.
Not me, we're British don't ya know. :D
Nipping over on Friday for a few days in northern France. If we get held up we can have a brew, have a wee and sit in the warm.
No great rush to get anywhere so we will just chill.

Richard.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There was a small protest in Gramat yesterday, easily avoidable. Have to go to St Cere today so may find out more.

Having just returned from 10 days in Essex I do not intend to venture far from home until our planned trip dahn sarf to the Alagarve in early Jan. Might have to grin and suffer motorway tolls if the gilets jaunes are still active.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Apparently the protests are still early next week happening according to the news today. Truck drivers getting involved this time. There was a suggestion that if you have your “gilet Jaune” folded up and displayed in the cab window, you’re showing solidarity and are likely to get a smoother passage :xThumb:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Just read that French Prime Minister has announced that 2019 fuel tax rise is cancelled along with tightening of new emissions regulations.
Hopefully for everyone this means a return to normality although I guess some of the extremists will persevere.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
a return to normality

I wish ..... Colleges, Lycées, Universities' revolt is on. Trucks drivers want more money when having overtime (used to be 50% more but then was put down to 10%) They want 50% back!

So .... before they start striking, government wants to meet their leaders this morning, 8.30 if my memory serves me right.

Then we'll see what happens with all the students.

Return to normality? ..... I doubt it!

Last edited:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I wish ..... Colleges, Lycées, Universities' revolt is on. Trucks drivers want more money when having overtime (used to be 50% more but then was put down to 10%) They want 50% back!

So .... before they start striking, government wants to meet their leaders this morning, 8.30 if my memory serves me right.

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but at least it's a start.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Marvellous how politicians in all countries always cut benefits wages etc of the working classes whilst they all have their snouts in the trough. BUSBY.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750

I’m starting to think this is the new “normal”

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There are many who see the current state of affairs as normality for France.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Macron's reforms have been upsetting everyone except the very rich.

Gilets jaunes include French pensioners. Macron gave them a 0.3% annual increase, well below inflation, and he also increased their taxes. Effectively a cut in their standard of living.

Look where we are heading. Retirees in the UK need to stock up on gilets.

It's bad enough that the annual uprating by the DWP uses CPI, not RPI which normally would be about 1% higher. Removal of the Triple Lock on state pensions is due in 2020. What will happen next? I bet HM Treasury also wants the link to average earnings abolished, as it was under the Thatcher government. Expect a steady decline in our purchasing power as well as our savings. NS&I doesn't even want our savings. No new issues of index-linked Bonds. Phil Hammond doesn't care.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
When i was working it was 1.5 for any overtime and 2 times on sundays.

It usually is the norm for all workers. Railways have different ones because away from family among other reasons.
Overtime here is when over 35h/week
For a childminder it's over 46 h/week:xangry:

EDIT: For one child!!!!! So if starting with one at 7.30 and leaving at 4.00
And another one starting (same day) at 10.00 and leaving at 8.00 that's 12,5h/d x 5 days...... PAH ! 60hours a week .... And then stadium .... lol

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Just had phone call from our French friends who live in Soissons!Telling me situation on the roads in France very bad with the "yellow Vests" protesters.Taken over a lot of islands and stopping traffic.He got stopped twice yesterday for about 40 mins.Daughter gave up trying to get into REIMS as most roads blocked at different times.This Saturday there will be big protests and he is worried that there will be a lot of violence in Paris.Thought we had problems here with Brexit!!!Be warned!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Macron's reforms have been upsetting everyone except the very rich.

Gilets jaunes include French pensioners. Macron gave them a 0.3% annual increase, well below inflation, and he also increased their taxes. Effectively a cut in their standard of living.

Look where we are heading. Retirees in the UK need to stock up on gilets.

It's bad enough that the annual uprating by the DWP uses CPI, not RPI which normally would be about 1% higher. Removal of the Triple Lock on state pensions is due in 2020. What will happen next? I bet HM Treasury also wants the link to average earnings abolished, as it was under the Thatcher government. Expect a steady decline in our purchasing power as well as our savings. NS&I doesn't even want our savings. No new issues of index-linked Bonds. Phil Hammond doesn't care.

According to google 18% of the pop is over 65, and 21% are under 18 so can't vote, so that 18% in voting terms is much bigger, that makes the pensioners vote very important to any government, so I can't see them hitting us to hard.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
You've been sleeping a lot this morning!!!:xlaugh::xlaugh::xlaugh:

How many threads on the matter have we been running since last update ?:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Very good point, given number of Funsters travelling in France at present is it possible @Jim to combine the posts or for we members to agree to use only one thread.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oooh yes we will
Oh no we won't?! :)

genie2.jpg

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
In Angouleme today we were held up at two Round-Abouts, at a third they were setting - up camp ready to cause chaos.

At the 'Girac' Round-About where the regional hospial is located they have blocked one lane of the R/A, impeding ambulances because of the tail - backs; admittedly they have people on 'traffic control' but if the ambulances cann't get passed the long queues it doesn't help much.

In my humble opinion, it is a pity Macron didn't bring in Martial Law, last week - ends scenes of violence reminded me of the 'Woolwich' riots; an excuse for vandalism, looting and general mayhem.

I had sympathy with their original aims and accepted the consequences of their protests, but I think they should now call a Truce, Macron has made the first move they in turn should do the same.

My view anyway.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
As Charente16 stated in the above post these protests are getting hijacked by "renta-thug" who are intent on taking a pot at the police as well as grabbing the opportunity to thieve....

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We travelled today from La Flèche to an Aire just south of Angouleme. We saw two small groups of GJs at roundabouts early on our route but they weren’t stopping traffic. Later on there was a larger group of GJs who had taken over the toll booths south of Poitiers. They waved us through with a smile and so saved us paying the toll (around €19 I think). Tomorrow we hope to make it across the border into Spain .......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back