Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
hi can anyone recommend a good snow foam as I have never used it before. Thank you Terry.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi Terry ,I am no expert on snow foam but have tried 2 different types and found them both useless . I followed the instructions for both and had the proper applicators and was very disappointed with results and end up washing the cars by hand.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Auto Bright Direct do some good stuff.
Its their Christmas sale as well so some good discounts.

Have a look on the detailing section I'm sure snow foam was discussed at some point (y)

Edit Don't expect dirt to just fall off its used as a pre wash :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Terry ,I am no expert on snow foam but have tried 2 different types and found them both useless . I followed the instructions for both and had the proper applicators and was very disappointed with results and end up washing the cars by hand.
Agree, we bought auto brite and it does not seem to do anything, in fact it seems to dull the car paintwork so resorted to just using a hose.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Blast all over 5 min soak and rinse.
Then streak remover as reqd to the odd places
20180418_133833.jpg
20180418_132834.jpg
20180418_135653.jpg

OP
OP
T

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Thank you all for your reply’s after watching a friend clean his car today I have gone for bilt hamber auto foam.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Auto Brites Magifoam is by far the best I’ve used... By some margin...

Not cheap but you will/should use less and it cleans so much better than any I’ve tried.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I think some of you are expecting miracles:xwink:

It’s used to loosen off the worse of the surface muck and grit only, I usually give it one go, leave for 5/10 mins depending on how Quick it’s drying, then rinse off with the pressure washer, then give it another go, one panel at a time brushing as I go:xThumb:
I know, I know, a brush is sacrilege, but it’s a motorhome not a Aston Martinxroll:

OP
OP
T

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Hi I got bilt hamber I don’t know if I was expecting to much but I was very disappointed with the results and my Motorhome has been waxed using colinite on charlies recommendation witch I am very pleased with so thank you for that Charlie.Terry.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

The thing to remember is the finish on the surface of the vehicle.

If if the surface has been polished and waxed then got filthy it will clean up much much quicker and easier than one that holds on to the muck and grime. A slick shiny smooth surface will spruce up tip top with a nice weak ratio of foam to water.

As I’ve said many times if you put to much foam in all it will do is strip wax and waste product.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi I got bilt hamber I don’t know if I was expecting to much but I was very disappointed with the results and my Motorhome has been waxed using colinite on charlies recommendation witch I am very pleased with so thank you for that Charlie.Terry.

I tried Bilthamber last year. It’s so much thinner and weaker than say Auto Brites Magifoam. To the point it hardly cleaned at all. Yet I used the same a few years ago and found it ok. Inconsistent I think.

OP
OP
T

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Hi Charlie I did as recommended by bilt hamber 4% after testing how much I needed maybe I won’t give up and try some magifoam.terry

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
@Charlie it is nice to see you giving some of your excellent knowledge again on Motorhome detailing thread. Thankyou and a Happy New Year.

Steve

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie I did as recommended by bilt hamber 4% after testing how much I needed maybe I won’t give up and try some magifoam.terry

Terry I don’t work to specific percentages. I go for what works. So to predict what multiple products do or will achieve is kinda hard..

So let’s work to the rule of thumb ?

I take the lance bottle and add 1.5 to 2 inches of foam. Then a squeeze of car shampoo. I then top up with hot or warm water which helps with the mixing.

We are looking for a nice even foam. Not so you can’t see the car so not to thick/ strong... Weaker is far better than stronger !!!

Never pre wet the vehicle before spraying the foam on. If you do the foam will slide off having done nothing.

Leave for ten while you have a brew.

I work on a no touch basis on all our vehicles. We live out in the sticks so the motors do get properly filthy and muddy. I don’t want to rub any surfaces in case I pick up even slight grit sand or whatever so this time of the year it’s non touch.

I think once you’ve worked out the formula and tuned your teqnique you won’t look back !!

OP
OP
T

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Thank you for your advice Charlie I would hate to bring of the wax after al the hard work putting it on. The van was wet when I put the snow foam on as it had been raining so I will try again before I get some magifoam in the summer. Terry

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I use Demon snow foam , it’s green and smells of bubblegum. Push it through a pressure washer with a little dispenser attachment and then agitate with a sponge and rinse off. Get pretty impressive results. Having said that , the management is obsessive about cleaning the moho before we go anywhere and as we do a lot of weekends it’s get washed regularly ?

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Same here, used once. Now have 2.5 of foam and new karcher lance Offers anyone?

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I was dissappointed too at first until I fitted a water softener in the house. Snow foam doesn't work very well with hard water.

Paulajc77

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2018
I have a snow foam adaptor for my karcher pressure washer. I just use car shampoo it works fine.
Blast the van first with water then snow foam then rinse

Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
One thing that nobody seems to mention...the foaming process is very much dependant on the water hardness.
In softer water areas you will get good foaming from most.....hard water areas and the foam seems to break down very quickly.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I find that the Karcher one applied with the lance works well after a spraying, in a pump up garden sprayer, with Muc-Off bike cleaner.
Makes a hell of a mess of the drive which annoys the neighbours as the wind carries the foam and it runs down the road, we have a sloping driveway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back