MH Security when at Citi Europe & Site? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We are taking the MH for its first trip to mainland Europe in next few weeks, stopping at Citi Europe over night as soon as we exit the tunnel.

We always fit the steering wheel Disklok even on uk carparks but I'm wondering if I should also take the big wheel clamp for the overnight stop at Citi Europe. We will want to go inside shopping so leaving on the Citi Europe carpark unattended.

Same question about when it's on site at Camping Memling in Brugge?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I would do whatever you feel comfortable with and you would normally do.
Citi Europe is fairly safe with police station next door and CCTV etc but there have been recent reports of migrants there.
Try not to overthink it, just enjoy, on the whole France is as safe as anywhere.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have had no problems parking and over nighting at Citi Europe.
Take precautions that you are happy and comfortable with but for our part we just do what is normal van security for us.

We have not seen any dodgy characters actually in the car park, plus security patrols in vans visit and tour the car par regularly looking for baduns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You will be safer at Cite Europe than most car parks in the UK. Overlooked by the
Gendarmerie and regular security patrols make it very safe. We usually use it for our first and last stop in Fance and never seen any problems.

We use the same security there as we do at any other stop, i.e. Switch on alarm and immobiliser, lock up then go and shop.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We will be at Cite Europe for the night on Friday if all goes to plan.
We stop there a lot and have never had or seen any problems. We always set the alarm which has external flashing LED's so there is a deterrent and anyone with evil intentions is likely to try another van............sorry if it happens to be yours.
The car park is very well lit and I would park well away from the trees where thieves could hide.
From reading previous posts it seems that bike thefts from rear racks and migrants trying to hide under the van are the main risks.

Richard.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi iDriver ,
We stop there on our first & last night , never had or seen any problem , with the other motorhomers around they usually keep an eye out during the day & at night you are usually there , Only thing I do is check under the van before leaving , other than lock up when shopping etc.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why bother there are a number of Aires inland that have never seen a migrant. We normally stop at Watten which is about 30 mins drive from port. Loads of Supermarkets in France some of them are REALLY BIG just like we get at home.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Stayed there twice (never overnight) and wasn't too comfy tbh. But we have the mk1 fluffy deterrent to look after the van if we leave it and check under it for us before we left.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
But we have the mk1 fluffy deterrent to look after the
Hi.
Who would have thought of a Rabbit for guarding a M/ho. Well done you,bet it will catch on.
We stay there,once saw three ner'do wells ,but they mooched off,a c/vanner got three dogs out....sorted.Stay there again ? Yes. All good advice above,keep away from the edge with trees.
Tea Bag

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
IF...
In the event of any trouble or just feeling unsafe in an area the last thing you may want to be doing is getting out the van and taking off wheel locks and screen covers etc... Personally I prefer the van able to just start up and drive away. :xThumb:

Stayed at Cite Europe many many times, never had an issue... Only fellow funsters knocking my door. :xdoh:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just to try to add some perspective. Every time I have stayed at Cite Europe there has always been at least 20 other motorhomes, mainly Brits, there overnight and sometimes a lot more than that. I, like many others on this forum, have Eddie's Growler alarm fitted and if it went off in the middle of the night I reckon it would wake them all up! There is always safety in numbers.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for all the replies guys. Won't bother checking for stowaways though as we will only have just arrived in France. Can you imagine their disappointment when they emerge from under the MH to find themselves in Belgium

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We are taking the MH for its first trip to mainland Europe in next few weeks, stopping at Citi Europe over night as soon as we exit the tunnel.

We always fit the steering wheel Disklok even on uk carparks but I'm wondering if I should also take the big wheel clamp for the overnight stop at Citi Europe. We will want to go inside shopping so leaving on the Citi Europe carpark unattended.

Same question about when it's on site at Camping Memling in Brugge?

A Wheelock is probably a bit over the top for aires and campsites in France, Cite De Europe is fine and you would stick out with a wheelclamp on.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for all the replies guys. Won't bother checking for stowaways though as we will only have just arrived in France. Can you imagine their disappointment when they emerge from under the MH to find themselves in Belgium

If your going into Belgium then they would have fallen off within the first hundred yards of crossing the border with the state of the Belgium roads. :D

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
@iDriver
As already said Cite Europe is generally safe as are the vast majority of Aires. We stay at Cite Europe each time we go over and back. We generally always use Aires. It's a case of just being sensible I think.

Some precautions I take when on some Aires or definitely when 'wild camping' are:

I never use my Silver screen on the outside of the windscreen but always use the inner blinds
I always reverse onto levelling ramps, if being used, so I can drive straight off without any reversing
I always have in mind where the exit is and how to get there in a hurry.

This is just so, if necessary, I can open the front blinds and drive forward out to the exit and away without delay.

I have NEVER (so far) had to use or even think about using these precautions yet but I consider these just sensible contingencies.

I really hope you will have a fantastic time and wish you safe and very happy travels. Maybe we will see you in the New Year in France Spain Morocco or Portugal. You never know.
Happy Christmas and New Year.
Nik

OP
OP

Deleted User
If the van is RHD I don't think anyone in France would be interested in nicking it, wheel clamp & Disclock sounds OTT to me.

Of all the good and light hearted replies that has to be the most stupid.. Gold Star for that one...

OP
OP

Deleted User
@iDriver
I have NEVER (so far) had to use or even think about using these precautions yet but I consider these just sensible contingencies.
Nik

Good common sense advice there Nik, I have to say I am always very aware of who and what is around me. This is in contrast to my other half who notices nothing :)

Reactions: Nik

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
We travel a lot through Italy and we've always been a bit security conscious. As a result, we usually stay on campsites so that we can use public transport to visit places of interest. We have a Milenco door lock, window alarms and whatever came with our vehicle ... nothing else. We have stayed at Memling in Brugges and it seems to be a very secure site.

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Stayed at Cite Europe a few times and never seen any issues. Last time we were there early November there were Travellers there but they kept themselves to themselves no doubt out of Monsieur Plods way. WE have a Disklok and use it when we go into the shops but remove it when in the van in case of emergency get away. Only people who seem to have any issues at Aires/Sites are those with bikes on a rack at the back which seem to attract low lifes like bees round the proverbial honey pot!

I would not ever fit a wheel clamp as A. too much hassle B. More crap to carry and more weight C. If you need to move in an emergency such as fire, flood etc. you are going to struggle.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Why bother there are a number of Aires inland that have never seen a migrant. We normally stop at Watten which is about 30 mins drive from port.
You've answered your own question... because I don't want to drive for 30 minutes when I arrive in France on EuroTunnel at 1am. And I don't want to drive for 30 minutes to get on the tunnel at 8 in the morning on the way back.

Each to their own of course.

Like others, I've used Citi Europe for years with no problems and I'll be there on Thursday night this week.

OP
OP

Deleted User
That seems very harsh. Why do you think it is stupid?

Not least because I know 2 couples personally who have had their motorhomes stolen in France in the past 2 years, and guess what they were both RHD.. So to suggest that you are in someway safe because its RHD is quite frankly a joke.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not least because I know 2 couples personally who have had their motorhomes stolen in France in the past 2 years, and guess what they were both RHD.. So to suggest that you are in someway safe because its RHD is quite frankly a joke.
That seems very unlucky. I have heard of motorhomes being broken into and things being taken like bikes etc, but, in the 5 years I have been on this forum I can't remember ever hearing about a British motorhome being stolen in France.

Where did it happen and what were the circumstances?

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
If you ‘personally’know two people who have had their mohos stolen in France and are worried , why ask the question if you don’t like the answers? When you’ve finished yawning you might want to respond in a mature way

OP
OP

Deleted User
That seems very unlucky. I have heard of motorhomes being broken into and things being taken like bikes etc, but, in the 5 years I have been on this forum I can't remember ever hearing about a British motorhome being stolen in France.

Where did it happen and what were the circumstances?

One was a Swift that went from a site at Mont-Saint-Michel when the went to the Mont itself. Not sure how far away it is but they said they were only away for 2 or 3 hrs. Immobiliser and alarm fitted and keys not stolen but nobody noticed anything, go figure?

Other one was somewhere down on Spain / France border, only know that because that’s where they were due to meet relatives the following day. It was broken into on an Aire and along with everything else that was stolen they even stole the WC Cassette? Again go figure that one out, maybe they looked less suspicious walking away with that in their hands. It’s assumed it was the same people that returned the following day and drove the MH away whilst the couple were waiting for help from the consul to get passports etc.

Mostly irrelevant, the point being they were both RHD and neither were seen again. That’s only the two I have personal knowledge of, imagine how many others there are

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back