Look Closely At Motorhome Insurance Policy Small Print - Some Surprising Facts (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Shopping around for motorhome insurance gave Mr Wombles a lot more work than expected recently as so many policy variations on small details that could make all the difference or even invalidate insurance in the event of a claim. We drew up a hit list which was a mixture of Which? Best Buy car insurance insurers, those reviewed on this forum, a few wild cards from Facebook group & friends recommendations & he also checked motorhome insurance comparison websites. Some were 50% dearer than others but level of cover was more important to us (when it comes to insurance) than cost although it still has to be good value for that money.
What is the best policy really is a personal choice depending on your circumstances so what is best for one won't be for another. For our criteria Saga was overall the best cover for us & it's reassuring that their policies are Defaqto 5 Star & Saga are a Which? Best Buy rated insurer too. LV, Comfort, Adrian Flux & C&MC (if already a member) were close contenders. Our criteria is "New For Old" plus a good level of Personal Accident cover as well as a fair comprehensive policy overall so if you have a motorhome over 3 years old or already have life insurance or another policy that gives Personal Accident cover then other insurers may be a better choice for you.
Surprising Facts:
If you buy a "new" motorhome that has been used as a demonstrator then for some insurers "New For Old" (NFO) terms will not apply in event of a claim - Comfort is one such insurer. Considering how many buy motorhomes off the dealers forecourt where all there are demo models that clause is concerning for new owners if they are not aware. Can see the insurance company point too though as they could end up replacing an ex demo which may already be 2-3 years on the forecourt (sounds a lot but know it happens) before being bought as "new" with a new factory order otherwise. Our first motorhome was just 5 days as a demo at a NEC Show after being taken there direct from the factory by transporter & we thought we had NFO cover but maybe we didn't then - luckily no claims so never had to find out!
Another foible of NFO is that if an insurer offers it for one year then it is only up until that motorhome is one year old so if like us it has taken two months to register it then it only has that cover for 10 of the 12 months. One insurer stated that it would be for the full year with them but when we got them to double check this was not the case! Knowing this made us choose a provider with 2 years NFO for our first year rather than LV who like others could only offer (less than) a year.
Personal Accident ranged from just £5,000 (AIB with no increase possible) to £100,000 (LV as an affordable optional add on) - we settled for 50,000 when choosing Saga.
Policy documents emailed with quotes to customers aren't always correct - Comfort had Personal Accident cover as £15,000 on their website but just £2,500 on the policy information document that it emails to customers - although we didn't choose them this time we did point this out to them & they confirmed it is an error & should be £15,000 so it will be amended especially as this error may have lost them customers.
Insurers aren't obligated to use genuine parts in event of a claim - Saga do for the period that a motorhome is under warranty but may not after that.
EU cover varies from 60-365 days.
All insurers we contacted were happy to insure LHD motorhomes - we thought we would get at least one that would refuse or charge more but none did.
Caravan Guard who otherwise have a good level of policy don't insure self imports (although they do insure LHD :confused: ) - every other insurer we contacted had no problem or premium loading for self imports so long as UK registered once imported.
One last one that we found previously - although all insurers are allowed to provide VIN insurance for 365 days most only offer 30 days if at all even though it normally takes around two months to go through the whole registration process - crazy but true!

If in doubt about anything or unclear if you are answering a question correctly for an online quote ring the insurer (noting day, time & name of who you spoke to as calls are normally recorded) & check or you may find your insurance is invalid if you have to make a claim. We had a couple of instances this time where that could have been the case if we hadn't rung the insurer for clarification :eek:

What this has shown us is that don't just go for the insurer that a friend says is good or has a good reputation - it is essential to check the small print & make sure it meets your needs especially as many keep changing their terms to stay competitive price wise. We will be checking all policies much more thoroughly in future even though it is tedious & time consuming it has to be done for our peace of mind.
Hope all this typing & sharing our experience helps a Funster or two.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Interested to hear why Safeguard did not even make the short list - their cover appears to be very comprehensive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Interested to hear why Safeguard did not even make the short list - their cover appears to be very comprehensive
I'd like to know that too. We've used Safeguard for a couple of years and they seem to have everything we need but I'dlike to know if we've missed anything.
Thanks
Steph

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Good advice and thanks for spending the time and sharing, ;) if you get a minute can you check out spanish insurance. :LOL:
We were with Saga for many years, although they give great cover they are old school, :rolleyes: the policy goes up rapidly, and you get far to much paper through the letter box. :eek:
Never got to use Comfort because they had too many restrictions and when we had quotes for full time it was £1600 because our post code was NR1 not that the motorhome would have been there. :LOL:
We stuck with Safeguard, but none of them look after their customers. :whistle:
Our friends are insured with Caravan Guard and have been for many years, last year they broke down in France not long after they arrived, they refused to repatriate the motorhome because their return crossing was almost 3 months away. :eek:
They took them to a garage and ended up with a new engine cost them over £8500 had it been back in the UK it would probably have been a third of that. :crying:
There are lots of things to worry about, and Insurance companies don't like risk, and always look for a way out. :pray: Bob.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Surprising Facts:
If you buy a "new" motorhome that has been used as a demonstrator then for some insurers "New For Old" (NFO) terms will not apply in event of a claim - Comfort is one such insurer.

Hi Karen,

Do you know what constitutes a demonstrator for the purpose of the legal clause.

Is it something that has been pre-registered and/or driven or is it an unregistered van which has been standing in the showroom for weeks/months.

That's a great piece BTW - very useful indeed (y)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Worth trying AIB Southampton.
I've got a fulltimers policy with them, underwritten by Aviva.
Same cover except windscreen unlimited with AIB, whereas comfort policy was limited, but doesn't effect me.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Saga suspended our insurance when I was in Spain & asked a question about storage there. I explained I wasn’t going to do it if it was against the insurance, but they said because I had asked the question they couldn’t be sure I wouldn’t do it, so had to stop the insurance, I was left I. The lurch, and had to find another insurer whilst in Spain with site WiFi! Would never touch Saga with a barge pole since!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Saga suspended our insurance when I was in Spain & asked a question about storage there. I explained I wasn’t going to do it if it was against the insurance, but they said because I had asked the question they couldn’t be sure I wouldn’t do it, so had to stop the insurance, I was left I. The lurch, and had to find another insurer whilst in Spain with site WiFi! Would never touch Saga with a barge pole since!

Please leave a review, it only takes a couple of clicks . Cheers https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/reviews/saga-motorhome-insurance.54/

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I'd like to know that too. We've used Safeguard for a couple of years and they seem to have everything we need but I'dlike to know if we've missed anything.
Thanks
Steph
Hi both - Safeguard was on our original hit list but it was their Personal Accident cover being just £5,000 & no option to increase that (we rang & asked) which ruled them out for us but other aspects like 2 years NFO & belongings cover of their policy are good. The level of PA is important to us but may not be to others especially if that cover is provided by another policy.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
thank you for clearing this up - yes PA is covered with other policies so this was not an issue, the motorhome policy was we thought very comprehensive and they are very competitive. Maybe that point should have been clearer within your initial report - which I also found very useful.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi Karen,

Do you know what constitutes a demonstrator for the purpose of the legal clause.

Is it something that has been pre-registered and/or driven or is it an unregistered van which has been standing in the showroom for weeks/months.

That's a great piece BTW - very useful indeed (y)
Hi - would have to ask each insurer for their position on this ( & get in confirmed in writing if it's the policy you choose) as it's a bit of a fuzzy area as the rules of their policy & how they are applied are down to them.

As an example this is the Comfort Motorhome Insurance document https://comfortnew.staging.wpengine...-Motorhome-Insurance-Policy-25th-May-2018.pdf & info. about New For Old is on page 9 but have also copied here:

"New motorhome replacement We will replace your motorhome with a new vehicle of the same make and specification (subject to availability) if within 36 months of purchase new by you or your domestic partner: ● any repair cost or damage covered by the policy exceeds 70% of its list price (including VAT) at the time of purchase: or ● your motorhome is stolen and not recovered. This replacement vehicle benefit ceases once your motorhome has recorded more than 15,000 miles Replacement is subject to: ● you or your domestic partner own your motorhome or are buying it under a hire-purchase agreement or other type of agreement where ownership passes to you) and the Financing Company agrees; and ● you or your domestic partner are the first registered keeper of your motorhome or you or your domestic partner are the second registered keepers of your motorhome, if your motorhome has been pre registered in the name of the manufacturer or supplying dealer, providing at the time of purchase by you or your domestic partner, the mileage was less than 250 miles. Vehicles sold as‘ex demonstrators’ and ‘nearly new’ do not qualify for replacement under this section."

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
thank you for clearing this up - yes PA is covered with other policies so this was not an issue, the motorhome policy was we thought very comprehensive and they are very competitive. Maybe that point should have been clearer within your initial report - which I also found very useful.
Glad that you found it useful but it wasn't meant to be a report just highlighted points about our findings to encourage fellow Funsters to check the small print of policies offered to them before buying as they vary so much & each persons requirements & circumstances are different.
Did point out that our criteria was New For Old plus a good level of Personal Accident cover & for others with different requirements other policies may be more suitable.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Lovely to have a mention about this thread in the Fun newsletter but the link isn't working so posting so it's back in Recent for anyone that it might be of use to.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Very informative & thanks for posting. The sad thing about it though is this is what a broker used to do for you in the UK years ago:xsad:

if you get a minute can you check out spanish insurance. :LOL:
:xrofl:

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Thanks for taking the time to do this Wombles, we are also looking into Insurance just now and the differences we are seeing are very apparent regarding costs and cover options considering it is for the same vehicle and drivers etc. One wall that seems to be commonplace is to not be given a quote due to value of the vehicle and therefore limiting the choice of policy or Insurers. Your post has highlighted other things to take into account.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I'm new to motorhoming - ex-caravanner, so this is really helpful. Thanks.

Asked Caravanguard (our tugger insurance) for a quote for our new Rimor. £1008 plus extra for driving in Europe!!! With a £200 vol excess!
Got a similar quote from another one (General Accident, I think)

Phoned Saga, £350 odd, fully comp for me and Mrs DDJC, NfO, up to 365 days comp cover in Europe. Vol excess £100. Didn't care about a collapsed awning I had a four years ago that ripped the side of the van and not interested in whether we had tracker, alarm, locked & alarmed gates, wheel claw, immobiliser, hungry wolves in the cab, etc, (we do have most of those things).

However, I have read the two comments about Saga above and will be watching out, so thanks for that.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm new to motorhoming - ex-caravanner, so this is really helpful. Thanks.

Asked Caravanguard (our tugger insurance) for a quote for our new Rimor. £1008 plus extra for driving in Europe!!! With a £200 vol excess!
Got a similar quote from another one (General Accident, I think)

Phoned Saga, £350 odd, fully comp for me and Mrs DDJC, NfO, up to 365 days comp cover in Europe. Vol excess £100. Didn't care about a collapsed awning I had a four years ago that ripped the side of the van and not interested in whether we had tracker, alarm, locked & alarmed gates, wheel claw, immobiliser, hungry wolves in the cab, etc, (we do have most of those things).

However, I have read the two comments about Saga above and will be watching out, so thanks for that.
I went for Saga for my first moho insurance If they treat you anything like they treated me you will find that they will double the premium in the second year for no reason at all and refuse to budge at all. So I suspect you too will be changing insurers at the end of the first year.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
i had a similar problem with holiday insurance with saga - they made a mistake when i called them about a medical condition (1 condition recorded as 2 and slightly changed the wording). they cancelled my annual cover and asked for around £1200 for the one trip. Bargepole for me too

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi both - Safeguard was on our original hit list but it was their Personal Accident cover being just £5,000 & no option to increase that (we rang & asked) which ruled them out for us but other aspects like 2 years NFO & belongings cover of their policy are good. The level of PA is important to us but may not be to others especially if that cover is provided by another policy.
Are you accident prone or just like to have that level of cover??

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
For us the level of cover on the policy that they offered wasn't better than elsewhere for the much higher premium (+50%) they were quoting but for those already having or taking out other policies with NFU they may then be more competitive overall & they are the top Which? car insurer so certainly one to try. We always ring both the main number & a few regional offices of NFU for any type of insurance quote.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Are you accident prone or just like to have that level of cover??
Just want best level of cover for our money so if £50,000 Personal Accident (PA) available on a policy with the same terms as another with only £5,000 PA then would pay more for increased cover but even better when it comes in at the same premium!
Most motorhome insurance policies that we looked at offer £15,000 to £25,000 as standard so £5,000 is low unless not needed for those who have PA on other policies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you for all your interest & messages :)
Like choice of motorhome, choice of motorhome insurance is very much a personal one depending on what is important to the buyer so no one model or policy is best for everyone. We learnt a lot but sure we will have to keep on learning as all likely to change each year!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Look out for cross over in different policies that you may have:

Worldwide Family Travel Insurance Policy as one of the benefits of Nationwide Flex Plus paid for account has £25000 Personal Accident Cover so some may already have some cover but again would need to check the small print to make sure it meets your requirements.

If you already have Motoring Legal Expenses Cover which is often an add on to car insurance then you may not need to add this to a motorhome insurance policy. We get free LV Motoring Legal Expenses Cover as Boundless members (£26 per year) https://www.boundless.co.uk/ which is cheaper than the £30 that Saga quoted but they agreed that we only need to have one MLE policy to cover any vehicle so no need to add it for the motorhome (y)
We have been members of Boundless for many years as that also gives a discount on many LV policies (motorhome, car, home & travel) so for us more than pays for itself (especially with free MLE) & other extra member benefits too including ferry discounts.
To join Boundless which is part of the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA) you used to have to be civil service or public sector workers or their family but now friends of current members can join too so we are happy to refer our Funster friends :)
LV are a Which? Best Buy insurer & they were the cheapest for us for the motorhome even with the option of £100,00 PA cover but only one year New For Old which as ours is two months old only covers 10 months & ideally we would like it to have NFO for the next three years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having just checked being a Boundless member gives discount on more LV insurance policies https://www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/lv-insurance than mentioned above so also Brittania Recovery (check length & weight limits), travel insurance, motorbike, classic car, caravan & landlord insurance too - would have added these above but too late to edit it.
Always good to shop around but if LV works out as best choice then a bit of extra discount is helpful.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back