Hard wiring reveresing camera (1 Viewer)

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
Hi,
I would like wire up my twin lens reversing/rear view camera to use a permanent live from a piggy backed (add a fuse) in the dashboard fusebox, although a switched live would also be ok. I just need to power the monitor and was going to wire from the fuse to a twin cigarette lighter socket that will be behind the dash and then use that for the monitor and new Garmin Camper Satnav.
I have a 2018 Benimar 286, that uses the Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet.
Anyone recommend which fuse to piggy back onto please?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I think a switched (ignition) live would be best, along as it has its own fuse.
I would be proding about with a voltmeter as I have no idea which wires are switched.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes through the ignition, if it's permanent live you will have a flat battery. :mad: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I wired mine to the leisure battery with a switch reachable when driving, I can then put it on and off whenever I need it, usually when towing the car trailer.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I just looked into fuse board and there were two empty slots where fuses where not used. They were both ignition live. I used the piggy back fuse connector but did not put the base fuse in, so it only provides a fused ignition live to my twin camera setup.

Andy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wired mine to the radio ACC connection which is an ignition switched live.
No way would I use a twin cigarette lighter type socket behind the dash, plugs work loose in them then the connections arc and overheat.
The cameras are 12v so can be wired straight in and the satnav probably needs a 5v USB socket just fit a USB power socket.

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
I just looked into fuse board and there were two empty slots where fuses where not used. They were both ignition live. I used the piggy back fuse connector but did not put the base fuse in, so it only provides a fused ignition live to my twin camera setup.

Andy.
Yes I have those blanks too, so may use one of them or the Radio fuse and 'add a fuse' Thanks :)

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
I wired mine to the radio ACC connection which is an ignition switched live.
No way would I use a twin cigarette lighter type socket behind the dash, plugs work loose in them then the connections arc and overheat.
The cameras are 12v so can be wired straight in and the satnav probably needs a 5v USB socket just fit a USB power socket.
Thanks Lenny but I always secure the plug into the socket and then use a strong gaffer tape around the assembly. So will probably stay with that for the Garmin Satnav (single socket) and hard wire the camera Monitor. :)

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
Yes I have those blanks too, so may use one of them or the Radio fuse and 'add a fuse' Thanks :)
Do you need 2 x cables from the Monitor to the twin camera or is it all done via one?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I used one power supply and shared it to supply monitor and the SINGLE power supply for both cameras.

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
I used one power supply and shared it to supply monitor and the SINGLE power supply for both cameras.
I only need to power the monitor as that supplies the power to the camera in its cable but not sure if there needs to be 2 x cables between the monitor/camera (1 for each camera). Will check with the supplier

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
not sure if there needs to be 2 x cables between the monitor/camera (1 for each camera). Will check with the supplier
where you used to have to run a lead to each camera they now do single leads that are just split at each end with the connectors for the two cameras... there's enough length on the connectors so that any holes cut in panels etc only need to be big enough to take one of the connectors at a time..
Andy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks Lenny but I always secure the plug into the socket and then use a strong gaffer tape around the assembly. So will probably stay with that for the Garmin Satnav (single socket) and hard wire the camera Monitor. :)
i dont care how strong the gaffer tape is if it overheats, which they are prone to ,it will fall apart at best or catch light at worst just
join the wires properly

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I picked up a switched fuse( using an addafuse unit) for the main supply. The other end of the cable harness, the camera end had a separate wire that you connect to the reversing light- on the back of the lampholder is fine. This makes the monitor switch to the low view camera when you engage reverse and saves a lot of messing around the gearbox housing.
Two quick points.
If rainwater runs off the roof over the cable then be very sure about sealing them, I also fitted a small bent ally water deflector above the feed in
Dont set the main camera too high or it will be blinded by headlights and low sun
It was a nice job to do but it will take time to do it neatly- thats why dealers charge so much to install them
Also pick a nice day to do it
Mike

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
I picked up a switched fuse( using an addafuse unit) for the main supply. The other end of the cable harness, the camera end had a separate wire that you connect to the reversing light- on the back of the lampholder is fine. This makes the monitor switch to the low view camera when you engage reverse and saves a lot of messing around the gearbox housing.
Two quick points.
If rainwater runs off the roof over the cable then be very sure about sealing them, I also fitted a small bent ally water deflector above the feed in
Dont set the main camera too high or it will be blinded by headlights and low sun
It was a nice job to do but it will take time to do it neatly- thats why dealers charge so much to install them
Mike

Hi Mike,
Fitted the rear view mirror mounted monitor and loom wiring.
I managed to run it under the headlining and down behind the door pillar cover to the dash fuse board just got to select the fuse to tap into with the 'add a fuse'.
I ran the camera cable down under the step trim and out with other cables in the pillar cover just behind the Drivers seat.
Then along to the rear garage and up in mini-trunking through the interior wardrobe and directly out through the rear onto the camera :).

OP
OP
Sorted

Sorted

Free Member
Nov 30, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
2018 Benimar 286
Exp
Hi Mike,
Fitted the rear view mirror mounted monitor and loom wiring.
I managed to run it under the headlining and down behind the door pillar cover to the dash fuse board just got to select the fuse to tap into with the 'add a fuse'.
I ran the camera cable down under the step trim and out with other cables in the pillar cover just behind the Drivers seat.
Then along to the rear garage and up in mini-trunking through the interior wardrobe and directly out through the rear onto the camera :).
Two quick points.
Mike

Which switch live/fuse did you tap onto Mike.. I want to use one in the Dash Fuseboard (2018 Fiat 2.3 Multijet 150) but can only seem to find permanent lives in there at the moment?

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Sorry I cant help, mine is an older 2005 model Ducato but I got quite good advice from the Owners Manual as to which fuse boards were where and which fuse did what. Incidentally I found that time understanding the fuse layout was time well spent- you dont want to be doing it in the dark when something is not working just before you leave
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back