Crashed into -- then assaulted .... the conclusion (1 Viewer)

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Just seen that my original post was shunted to "the Belly Locker" for absolutely no apparent reason (?) but for those who were interested, expressed support or concern, here is the outcome.

Result:

After a couple of strongly worded emails, photographs, diagrams and extracted rules from the Highway Code, the other driver's insurers (Allianz) have accepted their client was 100% at fault and totally liable for causing the collision. They have agreed to repair my vehicle and I have not affected my own long No Claims Discount or even notified my insurers.

Furthermore they have offered me £50 for the inconvenience because they should have reached this decision sooner (I did not actually make a complaint about this).

So, a reasonable outcome and the scummy people have lost and will face increased insurance premiums for the next few years.... (y) :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for posting this update. I am so pleased for you that you have this outcome after such a nasty experience.
I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised by this response from the other party’s insurer, ones normal expectation of insurers is that they would have gone 50/50 in a merge situation.
Well done for putting forward your case and getting a result.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you had a good outcome. Your insurance will still ask if you have been involved in an accident, whether that affects your premium will be difficult to assess. As the accident is logged, failure to disclose it could result in any claim being reduced.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Problem is, at renewal time you will still be loaded, as you have had a claim even though fault was not yours..
A real stinker and one that should be addressed by the ombudsman in my opinion as it seems it is purely profiteering

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Problem is, at renewal time you will still be loaded, as you have had a claim even though fault was not yours..
A real stinker and one that should be addressed by the ombudsman in my opinion as it seems it is purely profiteering
My insurance did not increase after my van was written off in Germany and the German insurance accepted full responsibility..BUSBY.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
They have agreed to repair my vehicle and I have not affected my own long No Claims Discount or even notified my insurers.
That's interesting, in 2016 my car was parked in our company car park, someone reversed into it causing damage to the rear bumper but was good enough to find and inform me. My car was a contract hire vehicle due to be returned 3 days later.
The driver said he didn't want to put it through his insurance and offered to pay for the damage.

Rental company was informed and I was instructed to return vehicle in its damaged condition, they would repair and invoice me or keep the vehicle, pay for extended hire and return after I had it repaired. Obviously as other person was paying, vehicle was returned in damaged condition. Subsequently invoiced for damage and paid for, so thought no more about it.

My other halfs car insurance came for renewal last week, AA were cheapest by £50 so went with them with me as named driver (rarely if ever used but handy in an emergency).

2 days later received an email stating that the central insurance database had flagged up my 'non-fault' accident that I hadn't declared on the new application and due to that the premium would rise by £35 per annum.

How does that work? I've renewed my own insurance twice since the incident and never mentioned it, in fact as it didn't go through the insurance at all I had forgotten all about it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have had the misfortune to have been victim of two no fault incidents
Unsure after the first as to inform my insurer I was told without doubt it would invalidate policy had I not
the second time was a no brainer based on information gained from the previous.
Both logged as "No fault claims" the first had no impact at renewal, the 2nd however did because
it happend close to renewal time and had not been finalised at renewal.
They were deducting some NCD for a very short period, and quoted a higher than normal premium whilst they obtained a letter of liability admission
from the other party's Insurer.
Upon receipt all was reinstated prior to paying my premium thankfully
declared "Two No Fault Claims" at each renewal since
Cant say i ever noticed any detrimental effects to my renewal costs since

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
2 days later received an email stating that the central insurance database had flagged up my 'non-fault' accident that I hadn't declared on the new application and due to that the premium would rise by £35 per annum.

How does that work? I've renewed my own insurance twice since the incident and never mentioned it, in fact as it didn't go through the insurance at all I had forgotten all about it.
Depends on the company, I had a prang in my car claim wasn't much more than £1000. My insurer Saga with protected NC at renewal time increased premium from £160 to £330 changed to Direct Line (£160) no loading as it was only a small claim,. Renewed Motorhome insurance with Comfort no loading as it was a small claim.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
That's interesting, in 2016 my car was parked in our company car park, someone reversed into it causing damage to the rear bumper but was good enough to find and inform me. My car was a contract hire vehicle due to be returned 3 days later.
The driver said he didn't want to put it through his insurance and offered to pay for the damage.

Rental company was informed and I was instructed to return vehicle in its damaged condition, they would repair and invoice me or keep the vehicle, pay for extended hire and return after I had it repaired. Obviously as other person was paying, vehicle was returned in damaged condition. Subsequently invoiced for damage and paid for, so thought no more about it.

My other halfs car insurance came for renewal last week, AA were cheapest by £50 so went with them with me as named driver (rarely if ever used but handy in an emergency).

Frankly I can't believe it either!

I would ask them for chapter and verse of their information and then dispute it.

You have not had an accident whether no fault or not. The other person had the accident. You were not even in your car at the time and it wasn't on the highway.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am so pleased for you :)

My insurance did not increase after my van was written off in Germany and the German insurance accepted full responsibility..BUSBY.

My insurance did not increase (actually it went down on my new bigger car which must be a first) and neither was my NCD affected after my car was written off in a no fault of mine accident.

I had to declare the accident for 5 (?) years afterwards but it was logged as a "no fault" and I was told every time at renewal it did not affect the premium. The police attended the accident and it was very clear who was at fault plus there were independent witnesses and the other driver admitted full liability. Her Dad even came to see me with a letter of apology and flowers, how nice was that? (I know he should not have done that but this is a small area and we all know each other). I was asked by the police if I wished them to take proceedings against her (before the apology and flowers) but I said "no" so she had a formal caution rather than a day in court.

I went through the insurance's legal cover route and they also managed to get me injury compensation (I needed hospital treatment and sustained damage to one of my hands and had a ruptured disc in my neck, all shown on the x-rays) - it sounds much worse that it really was but the injuries are life long and ache in cold weather.

OP
OP
Parapilot

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Some interesting and informative replies.

If the other driver had admitted fault and agreed to pay for repairs on the spot, would people be so keen to inform their insurers and potentially pay increased premiums for seveal years for no good reason?

Her insurers have agreed to pay for repairs on her behalf so is there any real difference ?
Arguably there are no material facts to disclose that would affect my insurable risk in this matter.

I have time to consider all options prior to my renewal date so will decide what to do then.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Do what you want of course @Parapilot but are you not obliged to tell your insurance company, even if you make no claim ? :gum:

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Glad to hear it has been resolved in your favour.
My wife had a similar experience last year. No aggression from the other party but it took a while for the investigators for Tesco insurance to accept that the the other party was completely to blame. The incident occurred after she had paid her premium, but before the new insurance period started. Initially she was charged an additional premium, then when the investigation was finally completed, this was refunded. However Tesco then told my wife that the underwriter has calculated that she was more likely to have an accident because she had been hit than before, and increased her premium by £80.
We asked how such a decision could be made as she was completely without blame but it was a case of “the computer says so”.
After a number of emails and telephone conversations Tesco accepted that their legal agents had not pursued the case as well as they could have and compensated her £75.
We cancelled the Tesco insurance and saved nearly £150 going to Provident.
We also renewed our house insurance elsewhere and will not use Tesco again.
Re: dashboard cams, even though my wife’s car was hit from the side, one would have helped as it would have shown the other vehicle parked on the pavement as she passed. We will have to get one when we workout which is the best.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I am so pleased for you :)

My insurance did not increase (actually it went down on my new bigger car which must be a first) and neither was my NCD affected after my car was written off in a no fault of mine accident.

I had to declare the accident for 5 (?) years afterwards but it was logged as a "no fault" and I was told every time at renewal it did not affect the premium. The police attended the accident and it was very clear who was at fault plus there were independent witnesses and the other driver admitted full liability. Her Dad even came to see me with a letter of apology and flowers, how nice was that? (I know he should not have done that but this is a small area and we all know each other). I was asked by the police if I wished them to take proceedings against her (before the apology and flowers) but I said "no" so she had a formal caution rather than a day in court.

I went through the insurance's legal cover route and they also managed to get me injury compensation (I needed hospital treatment and sustained damage to one of my hands and had a ruptured disc in my neck, all shown on the x-rays) - it sounds much worse that it really was but the injuries are life long and ache in cold weather.
Are you now the proverbial p[ain in the neck ?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Frankly I can't believe it either!

I would ask them for chapter and verse of their information and then dispute it.

You have not had an accident whether no fault or not. The other person had the accident. You were not even in your car at the time and it wasn't on the highway.
But he failed to disclose truthfully all information about his history therefore the insurance company can see this as non disclosure.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Some interesting and informative replies.

If the other driver had admitted fault and agreed to pay for repairs on the spot, would people be so keen to inform their insurers and potentially pay increased premiums for seveal years for no good reason?

Her insurers have agreed to pay for repairs on her behalf so is there any real difference ?
Arguably there are no material facts to disclose that would affect my insurable risk in this matter.

I have time to consider all options prior to my renewal date so will decide what to do then.

Best to tell them as the question is not as simple as many seem to think as they often ask have you been involved in any accidents or made a claim in the last so many years ?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Well done, glad it’s all sorted for you now. (y)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Brilliant news. Well done. Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun