Compressor fridge Thetford T1090L (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Do the more knowledgeable among you think these figures are reasonable ? Our latest van has the above fridge, the van has pop top so not straight forward to fit solar, we have 2 x 95 Ah leisure batteries. the manufacturers figures are :-

Technical Specifications
Main Dimensions: 975 x 418 x 485mm
Recommended Built-In Depth 525mm
Total Volume 90 litres
Freezer Volume 6.5 Litre (210x280x260)
Usable Power Source 12v DC
Energy Consumption** Day Mode 0.45 (KWH/24H)
Energy Consumption ** Night Mode 0.35 (KWH/24H)
Amount Of Days On 95AH Battery Day Mode 2.5 Days
Amount Of Days On 95AH Battery Night Mode 3.5 Days

Input Current At 12v Day Mode 4 A
Input Current At 12v Night Mode 2 A
Weight 21Kg
Noise Level Day Mode 32 (db(A))
Noise Level Night Mode 29 (db(A))
Climate Class Day Mode ST (16-38°C)
Climate Class Night Mode N (16-32°C)
** Average energy consumption at an ambient temperature of 25°C

Do you think given we have a total of 190 Ah of battery that we would be able to last 4 - 5 days without hookup ? Obviously in would depend on any other draw on the power, but we are not power hungry, not bothered about tv etc maybe blow heating if its particularly cold, but in colder months we would be on hookup anyway. Any comments welcome thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Compressor fridge without solar, most will have it I think. Could you fit the flexible solar to the pop top?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
It is possible, but not straightforward, if I can manage without I may not bother, if it was a solid roof then it would be the first thing I would fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I doubt it taking their 24 HR consumption if it was 12hr day, 12hr night it would be using 48 a/h. In practice it would be in day mode longer than night mode, and it would also depend how often & long the door is open.

95a/h batteries AGM by any chance? If so and more than a year old their capacity may be well down.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I think when I tried to do the sums based on those figures it basically meant that the battery was being run to complete discharge.

These latest figures seem a bit more realistic and probably run to 50% discharge

Amount of days on 2 x 95Ah batteries 3.0 / 4.0 (Night mode)

I think the websites like jacksons and magnums are still using the old Thetford specifications as opposed to the updated ones currently on Thetfords website that I have linked to.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure if this helps, I have a Waeco CRX 50 (50 litre) compressor fridge and a single 110ah battery

Fridge is connected directly to the leisure battery (fused) with appropriate size cables

Turn fridge up to max coldness (setting 4) whilst on EHU at home, for 12 hours before setting off

Fill with everything already cold from home fridge - including still frozen homemade ready meal about an hour before leaving (still on EHU)

Drive to destination (disconnect EHU first!) , the first time I need to open the fridge, I turn it down to setting 2

Try not to open the door too much

Keep van cool inside if it's a warm day

That way I manage 3 days (2 nights) without EHU and battery is still in good condition after nearly 3 years

My other electric usage are lights (led), small tv, water pump & Wallas xc duo hob/heater

If staying longer without hookup, I use a generator to top up (I'm normally at motorcycle events, so generators are acceptable)

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I doubt it taking their 24 HR consumption if it was 12hr day, 12hr night it would be using 48 a/h. In practice it would be in day mode longer than night mode, and it would also depend how often & long the door is open.

95a/h batteries AGM by any chance? If so and more than a year old their capacity may be well down.
yes the batteries are Varta AGM, the van is new this year so hopefully batteries are ok

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I think when I tried to do the sums based on those figures it basically meant that the battery was being run to complete discharge.

These latest figures seem a bit more realistic and probably run to 50% discharge

Amount of days on 2 x 95Ah batteries 3.0 / 4.0 (Night mode)

I think the websites like jacksons and magnums are still using the old Thetford specifications as opposed to the updated ones currently on Thetfords website that I have linked to.

Looking at those figures in your link, it would seem I may need something, if not solar then maybe a B to B charger. Hopefully we will be using the van more while on site now that it is a smaller van so not stood immobile for as long

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have no faith in AGM batteries at all, replaced the one in my new van with Gels wanted batteries that would last more than 18 months.
Yes, when I need to change I will go for Gel, depending on the physical size of the batteries as these are shoehorned into cupboards

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have two 95 ah AGM batteries now 20 month old and still going strong with the Thetford compressor fridge, and our EBL is set for AGM batteries. I can’t help with usage as we have 200 watt of solar uptop.

John.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at those figures in your link, it would seem I may need something, if not solar then maybe a B to B charger. Hopefully we will be using the van more while on site now that it is a smaller van so not stood immobile for as long

It's one of the things that is really making us think, as the van that we really would like - either the Globecar Summit or the Adria Twin Plus, only come with a compressor fridge. Our current van has a 3 way one and as most of our trips are off grid we're really nervous about swapping over to a compressor fridge.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
It's one of the things that is really making us think, as the van that we really would like - either the Globecar Summit or the Adria Twin Plus, only come with a compressor fridge. Our current van has a 3 way one and as most of our trips are off grid we're really nervous about swapping over to a compressor fridge.
I wouldnt be worried if I had some decent solar, as early or late trips are mainly done on sites with EHU.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have two 95 ah AGM batteries now 20 month old and still going strong with the Thetford compressor fridge, and our EBL is set for AGM batteries. I can’t help with usage as we have 200 watt of solar uptop.

John.
Be brave John run a full test on them and see how well they are doing. Would be interesting to know how well they are doing, Varta with correct AGM charging.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You only have 95ah of usable power in the 2 batteries, not 190ah.

We actually have that fridge in our camper and would say that you'll be lucky to managed 3 days without some other input (ie driving, solar etc), it will also depend on which version of the fridge you have, the mark 1 with the large under-freezer pull out drip tray is more power hungry than the mark 2 with the insulated freezer box. We found with the mark 1 that our batteries took quite a hammerting - we have 2 x 78ah gels so can discharged them a lot more than your batteries without damaging them, along with this we have 200w of solar so at least after the 'battering' they recovered during the day.

Duckato

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
@Minxy Girl
I am just about to order one of these do the two versions have different part numbers, so I can verify what I am buying?

Are there other differences?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
@Minxy Girl
I am just about to order one of these do the two versions have different part numbers, so I can verify what I am buying?

Are there other differences?
Sorry I don't know, I presume mine is version 2 I think it has a smaller but better insulated freezer, next time im in the van I'll have a look at the documentation for the model number.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Energy Consumption** Day Mode 0.45 (KWH/24H)
Energy Consumption ** Night Mode 0.35 (KWH/24H)
For those not good at sums, here's some more figures

Day mode: 0.45kWh = 450Wh = 450/12 = 37.5amp-hours (for 24 hours)
so on average it will use 37.5/24 = 1.6 amp-hours per hour.

Night mode: 0.35kWh = 350Wh = 350/12 = 29.2 amp-hours (for 24 hours)
so on average it will use 29.2/24 = 1.3 amp-hours per hour.

If you have 190Ah of battery capacity, you will want to avoid discharging to below 30% (many people like to not go below 50%), so your maximum usable capacity is 70% of 190Ah which is 133Ah.

With 133Ah you will last 133/1.6 = 83 hours, about 3.5 days in Day mode, and 133/1.3 = 102 hours, about 4 and a quarter days in Night mode.

So, just less than 4 days if mixing Day and Night modes.

Any chance of fitting a third 95Ah battery, that will take you over 5 days?

Also, it will use about 35 amp-hours per 24 hours, so you would need solar panels that gave 4.5 amps for 8 hours to top the batteries back up every day. 100 watts might just do that on a good sunny day.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Another way of looking at it. the fridge uses 35 amp-hours every 24 hours. That's 35 x 5 = 175 amp-hours in 5 days.

Your batteries can provide 133 amp-hours, as I said.

That leaves 175 - 133 = 42 amp-hours to be provided by other sources.

A small solar panel should be able to give 42 amp-hours over the 5-day period. A 100 watt panel will do this even if the weather is a bit cloudy.

Duckato

Free Member
Sep 15, 2018
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I will need to factor in some other variables:
I have solar obviously but in dark wet Welsh Wales in the depth of winter that may not be enough.

I have two Corgis and a Beagle if they work shifts in a hamster wheel connected to a small dynamo I wonder what sort of output can I get from them ;)
Also with the wood burner on full song I wonder if I could re porpoise the energy from one of these.

https://www.saxonhomecare.co.uk/products/ecofans/

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

John.
Had a message from another Funster yesterday, Varta AGM's with EBL set to AGM, batteries have failed at just over a year old. Knowing you rely on yours John it could be worth thinking about changing them.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Again @Lenny HB I’ve found this info below and it states that your alternator will need a special regulator to be installed.

John.

Gel Cell Batteries
are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries.

If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Again @Lenny HB I’ve found this info below and it states that your alternator will need a special regulator to be installed.

John.

Gel Cell Batteries
are typically a bit more costly and do not offer the same power capacity as do the same physical size AGM battery. The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. One big issue with Gel Batteries that must be addressing is the GEL CHARGE PROFILE. Gel Cell Batteries must be recharged correctly or the battery will suffer premature failure. The battery charger being used to recharge the battery(s) must be designed or adjustable for Gel Cell Batteries.

If you are using an alternator to recharge a true Gel Cell a special regulator must be installed.
Gels are overall more tolerant of different charge regimes than other types of batteries and standard alternator charging has never been known to cause a problem. Standard alternators charge at around 14.2 to 14.4v perfect for a Gel battery. Whoever wrote that was probably talking out of their rear end. Until the Hymer group changed to AGM they had been fitting Gels for 20 years, there are Funsters on here that have had Gels last for 10 and 12 years with them being charged by their standard alternator.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB which gel batteries would you recommend as I don’t think we can use lead acid batteries.

John.
Either the Sonnenschein SL75 (78 a/h) or the Exide G80/ES900 80ah, basicly the same battery both made in the Sonnenschein factory.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Lenny HB which gel batteries would you recommend as I don’t think we can use lead acid batteries.

John.
Correct, you can't use lead acid ones as the EBL isn't compatible with them, that's what our dealer inadvertently fitted and had to pay for them to be replaced with gel ones, we went for the Sonnersheiss ... Shonnershno ... SL75 (whatever :D ) ones which were cheaper than the Exide ones.:xsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Decided not to risk the AGM's any longer then. I have 3 of those in my van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back