Winter fridge vents - on or off? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
Yesterday I saw a winter fridge vent cover on the side of the road - nope didn’t pick it up.
Got me thinking - are the covers meant to be fitted only when parked up or do people leave them fitted, as in through winter months and on all the time whilst driving etc.
Just like to find out what people do?

Regards

Trikeman.;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always take them off when traveling don't trust those little clips. Always leave them on at home, stops loads of crap getting behind the fridge. In cold weather when running on gas always leave just the bottom one on.

Simon Richardson

Free Member
Aug 24, 2017
East bound & down.
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer 150 I
Exp
Full timing since Dec 2017
Just put mine on - that and the Screen Cover!!

Makes it feel like Winter doesn't it!

Roll on 27th - heading South for some Sun......

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Mine stay on when traveling, I did lose one years ago on a spectacularly bad road in the lakes.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have never put them on any mh I have owned, simply because they came without, not sure what purpose they serve. If necessary and I thought I might need them I think I might use cling film, its cheaper. :))

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Mine go on, and stay on, whilst outside temperatures are below 8 deg C. The reason they are recommended is that the refrigeration process depends on the condenser(?) being heated to a certain temperature - if the heating element (gas or electric) can't reach sufficient temperature cooling is affected and the internal sensors keep demanding more, resulting in the gas, or electric, running more often. This is why you often notice the gas kicking in more often in winter. Turning the fridge up (down? - demanding more cooling) just makes the matter worse.
This is the principle although I accept that not every installation would be similarly affected. There was a thread about this couple of days ago.

Just a warning, it's unsafe to seal off the vents entirely (e.g. clingfilm) whilst using gas, which is why the correct vents have a small slot in them. Insufficient air to the burner could encourage production of CO - not a real problem if your fridge is fully sealed from the inside of your van. Which it should be but on mine I'm afraid despite making attempts I've been unable to do properly.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We fitted ours but had to take one off when the Carbon monoxide alarm sounded
it was somehow obstructing the exhaust chimney

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
On in winter (around November) and they stay permanently on, including when travelling, until end of March(ish). Never lost one yet (quick touch to my wooden desk!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We fitted ours but had to take one off when the Carbon monoxide alarm sounded
it was somehow obstructing the exhaust chimney
Sounds like the fridge is not correctly installed, the back of the fridge should be completely sealed from the habitation area.
I think you need to get it looked at.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back