LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i have a e350 7.4 with cruse control and overdrive.in 5 years i have only used c/control once or twice and then only on flat runs,i have never used the o/drive am i missing out?or just old fashion and leave it to my trusty foot .how do you use yours?::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i have a e350 7.4 with cruse control and overdrive.in 5 years i have only used c/control once or twice and then only on flat runs,i have never used the o/drive am i missing out?or just old fashion and leave it to my trusty foot .how do you use yours?::bigsmile:

Hi Dave.

I use cruise whenever I can.

Just watch the fuel consumption readout and you'll see why.

Not so easy here as the driving isn't so laid back as in the States and the roads have those B+++++++ roundabouts....

Depends how heavy your foot is?

Steve.

sutton133

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One year
I agree with Dave. Cruise control far better at managing fuel consumption than my right foot will ever be!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Use it all the time on motorways,as said mainly to improve fuel consumption and it does help stop foot going to sleep on long trips.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Must be me then, cos I very rarely use mine.

Just feel that I am not in full control if I have not got my foot on the pedal..

RickB

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
south devon uk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
four years+
i don't use the cruise control, i find it unsettling and prefer to to have full control myself.
i do use the off button on the overdrive to aid braking on steep / long inclines or in snow
(i only have ABS on the rear axle).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In my experience it's great on Autoroutes, provided they are not hilly, then it won't save fuel as it tries to maintain an unrealistic speed going up hill where a prudent driver would slack off a bit and not floor the pedal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with Jim.....hit a hill and it'll change down and rev like hell to maintain speed.

use it on uk motorways....we dont have the steep gradients the french autoroutes seem to have.

my car handbook recommends leaving overdrive on at all times for economy......on a flat road at 30mph without O/D = 1600rpm, with O/D it drops to 1100rpm .

on very steep hills the car has occasionally changed down two gears and accelerates at a rate if knots akin to a cruise missile to try and get back to set speed, while everyone else is slowing down...bloody scary :Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I use it as much as possible, lazy sort off. I get the lack of control comments, wife feels the same and, well she's used it once. Anytime, anyroad if the goings suitable it's on, I love it, lets me concentrate on the rest of driving and I think it's more relaxing as I don't have to worry about speed, either to much or slowing down/maintaining etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think it's more relaxing as I don't have to worry about speed, either to much or slowing down/maintaining etc.

Indeed it is, sometimes too relaxing .. :Eeek:

I was leaving an Autoroute and while on the exit ramp forgot it was still engaged , only doing about 55 mph, it took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was still engaged and we were fast approaching the roundabout .. my foot was resting on the organ pedal and removing it hadn't had the desired effect .. :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It is more relaxing however, I very rarely use it now as the fuel consumption is over the top. When I use my foot I instictivley know whats happening under the bonnet.

I use it to give my ankle and foot a rest and thats it.

Jim
:Smile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Indeed it is, sometimes too relaxing .. :Eeek:

I was leaving an Autoroute and while on the exit ramp forgot it was still engaged , only doing about 55 mph, it took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was still engaged and we were fast approaching the roundabout .. my foot was resting on the organ pedal and removing it hadn't had the desired effect .. :Doh:

Ahh, yes, my force of habit routine, tap brakes as I cross onto slip road and retake full control:thumb: Haven't forgotton yet.....

I have to say it is a peice of kit you do need to be mindful of, much as it's purpose is to take away part of driving for ease it can bite. On a hill, speed drops a little and just as it goes for the hell for leather accelorate back to speed some numpty pulls out, or in and sudden disengagment required. Then there's Winne's dislike of being overtaken by other motorhomes:Doh:
No seriously, quite a few times now as one goes to overtake she picks up speed, just a few mile an hour, just to make 'em work for it, even did it to a coach once, well it was white:ROFLMAO: Mainly europeans:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back