Probably a strange request! (1 Viewer)

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi All.

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I couldn't see where better to put it!

Here goes ...

Does anyone know anyone that would be interested in a Swap?

We have an exceptionally good Triumph Stag that we want to swap for a 6 berth Motorhome. Age isn't particularly important, but it must be fully working, have a tow bar, not leaking and ready to go.

If we have to advertise the Stag it'll go on sale for £11,500, but we really want to sort something out quickly hence this possibly daft post!

My Daughter want's to compete further from home on her Pony and we've decided to go the Motorhome with our trailer route than a Horsebox.

If the Motorhome isn't worth exactly the same as the Stag, it may not be a an issue, it's more important that we get the right one and the timing's right.

If this should be posted in a different section, or you think we're bonkers, please let me know (actually if you think we're bonkers please don't!!)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
dont want to put a damper on your idea but you might struggle with the mam - maximum authorized mass. this is the total weight that the motorhome can cope with/run to. Horse trailers are quite hefty not to mention the weight of the pony as well, and VOSA are quite happy to pull vehicles over if they think they could be handing out a big fine

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Buy an C class RV, no problem with weights or power and will have a built in generator which you will need if camping with no hook up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I'd also be inclined to think that £11.5k for a Triumph Stag is rather wishful thinking.

But just my opinion at the end of the day.

OP
OP
B

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
We have considered this and the MGW of the trailer is 2340kgs. We're told by a guy that works on them and does what we want to do that this is fine for many but not all. I guess if I'm lucky enough to find someone then I'll need to check on a case by case basis.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Chatter is absolutely right.

We have just had a towbar fitted to our 4.5t tag-axle Euromobil, and we can only tow 1t. :cry: According to Towtal, the maximum towing weight for virtually all European motorhomes is 2t. He also said that not all RV's are much better.

If I was you, I would check this really carefully, cos the Police will defo pull you at some point as they all know what horse trailers can weigh.

OP
OP
B

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
I'd also be inclined to think that £11.5k for a Triumph Stag is rather wishful thinking.

But just my opinion at the end of the day.

How can you say that??

Only kidding, I do know what you mean, but this really is a very good one. We're realistic enough to know that it'd sell for a little less if we do have to advertise it, but that's what we'd put it on for. Others are selling with less history, the wrong colour, wrong spec and not as good for similar amounts.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi try these guys they take anything in part ex
Link Removed

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
To be honest, any c-class with a horse box on the back is going to struggle. They are pretty much on the engines load limit as they are with the weight of a body, occupants and luggage. You are only talking of a van engine after all. Put a couple of ton on the back and you will be pushing your luck!

You also have to consider the age of the vehicle. Swapping a nice restored stag may lead you to think you can get a reasonable motorhome - think again. Reasonable, yes, but also quite an old model lates 80's - 90's sort of era. This is great for starting in the motorhome world - and there is nothing wrong with them....but asking it to tow a horse and box, and all the associated kit is a little demanding for a vehicle of its' age. You may find yourself attending shows via a tow truck.

You may be better off spending the money on a nice horse lorry with the motorhome conversion in the front - or even go for a home build, lorry based unit and tow the box with that. Don't mean to bear bad news - i may be an optimist, but also a realist!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My view is that if you rush this you will be shafted both ways.. low price for the car and pay over the odds for a van..

Much better to sell the Stag for what you can get , then you are in a strong buying position.. cash is king , private or dealer..

I also agree with previous posters that a euro motorhome isn't the tool for towing a horse box..

either buy an American RV to pull the box or a converted truck motorhome/ horse box.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Hi All.

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place, but I couldn't see where better to put it!

Here goes ...

Does anyone know anyone that would be interested in a Swap?

We have an exceptionally good Triumph Stag that we want to swap for a 6 berth Motorhome. Age isn't particularly important, but it must be fully working, have a tow bar, not leaking and ready to go.

If we have to advertise the Stag it'll go on sale for £11,500, but we really want to sort something out quickly hence this possibly daft post!

My Daughter want's to compete further from home on her Pony and we've decided to go the Motorhome with our trailer route than a Horsebox.

If the Motorhome isn't worth exactly the same as the Stag, it may not be a an issue, it's more important that we get the right one and the timing's right.

If this should be posted in a different section, or you think we're bonkers, please let me know (actually if you think we're bonkers please don't!!)

I'm sorry to be rude but as an ex motor engineer I have to take task with you over your description. The never was any such thing as an "exceptionally good Triumph Stag", they were ALL rubbish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
B

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
I'm sorry to be rude but as an ex motor engineer I have to take task with you over your description. The never was any such thing as an "exceptionally good Triumph Stag", they were ALL rubbish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ahhh, but as a Motor Engineer you only saw the RUBBISH ones ... all the good ones were roof down, burbling away while their drivers sunburnt their gums from the permanent smile in the Sun!!!

Just like with this one

:roflmto:

OP
OP
B

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
Seriously though - you guys have been great with your advice about weight.

You've prompted me to get the definitive view in the eyes of the law and Insurance Co's. The conclusion is that I only need to worry about a tow weight of 1075kg for my set up.

If anyone wants to know the truth according to Her Majesty's Department For Transport, I can now speak fluent "Sir Humphrey" and am more than happy to share it with you!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The only European base vehicle under 7.5 Tonnes that I know of which can safely and legally pull your horse trailer is an Iveco Turbo daily and then you need to aim for the bigger weight versions. The weight description is easy to understand, I have a '96 42-10. The first two digits are the max weight 42(4200KGS), the second two digits are the horsepower, in my case a 100 BHP. A 35-12 would be a 3500KG MAM with a 120BHP motor etc.

D.

OP
OP
B

blingmypony

Free Member
Jul 14, 2010
Funster No
The only European base vehicle under 7.5 Tonnes that I know of which can safely and legally pull your horse trailer is an Iveco Turbo daily and then you need to aim for the bigger weight versions. The weight description is easy to understand, I have a '96 42-10. The first two digits are the max weight 42(4200KGS), the second two digits are the horsepower, in my case a 100 BHP. A 35-12 would be a 3500KG MAM with a 120BHP motor etc.

D.

Thanks so much Dave. That's really helpfull.

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back