Replacing a broken C3402 with 4E or 6E? (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I'm told by the motorhome repair man that my Truma C3402 may end up needing to be replaced. At the moment there is what appears to be a PCB problem and they're looking to source a replacement - but this may not be the worst case. They're quoting around £1200 for a complete replacement but I'm thinking at that price I could consider a contemporary unit like the Combi 4E or even 6E instead - and up-rate the heating power at the same time with a 6E. On the face of it these units look similar functionally (same number of hot air outputs, same gas/electric water heating, similar analogue control if I don't want the fancy digital/iNet option) - so is it feasible to consider such an update? Thanks.

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Hi

I replaced my broken old Truma a couple of years ago with 4E. the instructions are really good that come with the new units. I just took my time and read everything several times checking each thing as I went along the new unit works great and I now have the bonus of hot water and heating on electric when hooked up. as always its a must to
get any work you have done checked by a qualified person for gas and electric, before you use the new unit. I believe one of the reasons my old unit failed was because of very little ventilation in the wardrobe cupboard I added extra ventilation and also made sure the drop vent to the outside was completely clear. I am sure there a lot of other funsters on here who can give you advise and point you in the direction of qualified people to make sure any alterations you get done are safe. cheers

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Expensive but not hard to source.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just googled for images of the boards and it looks like they use bog standard components on the board. It isn't even surface mount.
Any good electronics repair shop should be able to repair these boards. The components all appear to be what we used to call jelly bean components.

For instance in this picture you can see the in the second row from the left, the bottom IC (chip) is an LN324N which on mouser is only 40p and mouser is an expensive supplier.

Broken Link Removed

There isn't even a microprocessor on the board as far as I can see. They all look like op amps. Loads of resisters, capacitors, a handful of zener diodes. I am seriously struggling to see £300 worth of parts there....

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I have just googled for images of the boards and it looks like they use bog standard components on the board. It isn't even surface mount.
Any good electronics repair shop should be able to repair these boards. The components all appear to be what we used to call jelly bean components.

I agree - but my problem is finding the time for self-repair. As with most motorhome components, these PCBs are expensive to buy but don't contain anything special. I've always assumed that this was because of the lack of competition and relatively low volume in the marketplace. I'm resigned to paying over-the-odds for repairs :(

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have a similar problem , boiler not working on electric, heating or water , new elements £324 !
plus I also have a problem with boiler shutting down intermittently .
local dealer refuses to remove boiler from Rapido but will do it if I take the boiler to them. Local Caravan engineer will remove it and refit for a reasonable £80.
So any guess on total bill as labour is £93.60 per hour, its going to be a bleak Christmas at are house!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There isn't even a microprocessor on the board as far as I can see. They all look like op amps. Loads of resisters, capacitors, a handful of zener diodes. I am seriously struggling to see £300 worth of parts there....
I've always assumed that this was because of the lack of competition and relatively low volume in the marketplace.
It's not because they're low-volume - it's because they can. The Automotive Industry is as bad - £400 and up for an under £20-worth box & bits.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Took my truma 6e boiler to local dealer and they have quoted my a mere £1453 to repair it !
Works ok on gas water but sometimes shuts down on Gas heating 202 or 212 error code.
Electric side not working on heating or water heating .
I am thinking of replacing it with a Truma 4e not sure it would have sufficient gas heat output.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Took my truma 6e boiler to local dealer and they have quoted my a mere £1453 to repair it !
Works ok on gas water but sometimes shuts down on Gas heating 202 or 212 error code.
Electric side not working on heating or water heating .
I am thinking of replacing it with a Truma 4e not sure it would have sufficient gas heat output.
What repair are they doing for that money?

D.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Replacement electric elements , damaged PCB and gas valve possible frost damage ?
Tried to get Truma to do it but there not doing repairs till next year , training course apparently.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Replacement electric elements , damaged PCB and gas valve possible frost damage ?
Tried to get Truma to do it but there not doing repairs till next year , training course apparently.
Seems a bit pricey, pcb is a couple of hundred quid, elements I'd have to look up, same with the gas valve but I'd expect about £300 - £400 for both so £600 for parts. That's awfully expensive labour, especially as you've removed it and will reinstall it. On the bench it's an hour's work to strip and rebuild. On a side note I've only ever had to replace a combi gas valve when the inlet stub snapped due to misalignment when it was installed.

D.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
looking on the net the elements work out about £325 for kit with seals etc, don't think you can just get the elements anymore.
I think they have priced it so that I refuse repair and buy a new one from them , they quoted £2200ish for new 6+.
I am going to refuse repair and get it back, no doubt they will screw me for an inspection fee.
I have been offered a new 6e boiler by a south wales company for £1200 less a px exchange for mine think it might be the way to go forward.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Thanks all... Truma took a look at the the PCB and did a minor repair for free for our local MH engineer. Said engineer then diagnosed and fixed a solenoid issue. All working for £500 Inc labour, parts and vat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back