Motorhom parked in (electric) gated home (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all,

I live in a flat in a small community. There are electric entrance/exit gates. I was going to renew my insurance with Comfort, but they insist on the van being put into storage which is £500pa, (I did have it in storage last year). Does anyone know of an insurer who would cover my vehicle, or do I have to cough up? Finding storage in my area is proving tricky.

Many thanks.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Some insurers will even cover vehicles "stored" on public highway so think there will be someone out there for your situation.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Lots of insures will cover your van parked outside your premises, we have used a few and none insist on the van being in storage.
There are quite a few recommendations in other threads on the forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You'll always be able to get it covered no matter where you (legally) park it. Depends on how much you want to pay.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I can't imagine mirfield west Yorkshire being particularly high risk ?
Our post code in Market Harborough appears to be low risk for almost everything except motorhome which is uninsurable with several companies at this postcode cost of storage is less than increase in premium. Sad to say your comment is based on intelligent logic not insurers logic.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Comfort were totally arsey about parking our moho on our driveway in a gated comunity at our holiday home in a very good postcode. Refused to give me a price so went elsewhere. Our home address postecode is a nightmare for insurance.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
try nfu, they cover most things though not the cheapest
As long as you are not in a really built up area (in some cases) also it pays to contact your local NFU rather than head office :)

OP
OP
Julie S
Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks for all of your excellent replies. More research and phone calls are necessary to compare other insurance company premiums and cost of insurance plus storage. The average age of residents in this very genteel small development is 75, and a good postcode. When I hear of MH's being taken from people's drives I would consider my situation far safer, especially as I have the Vanbitz Strikeback Growler. When that goes off there are 30 flats overlooking the car park all with a clear view of my van.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
As per 2 previous suggestions NFU Mutual is your answer. Contact your local office. They won't be the cheapest but an honest reliable company.

The previous said NFU. NFU are the farmers representatives. You need NFU Mutual who are a separate company and amongst other things are the official insurers to NFU.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
At first glance, I thought you were suggesting land mines on the drive might help :confused::confused::confused:
Dogman...I'll be happy to oblige if you supply the ammo .

Attachments

• DSC02080.JPG
    DSC02080.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 12
Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Hi all,

I live in a flat in a small community. There are electric entrance/exit gates. I was going to renew my insurance with Comfort, but they insist on the van being put into storage which is £500pa, (I did have it in storage last year). Does anyone know of an insurer who would cover my vehicle, or do I have to cough up? Finding storage in my area is proving tricky.

Many thanks.
Hi we just insured are van with A+ on drive was enough, also 270 days European cover.

Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our post code in Market Harborough appears to be low risk for almost everything except motorhome which is uninsurable with several companies at this postcode cost of storage is less than increase in premium. Sad to say your comment is based on intelligent logic not insurers logic.
Perhaps m/h have different risk areas to cars it could well be that one parked in a low crime rural area could be more nickable?

OP could also try AIB discount for funsters

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back