LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
About a hour ago I had a phone call said Hello Mrs Davies BT here we have just been checking your line and there is a virus which will affect your computer and you will not be able to use it, I am from BT technical department and will fix it for you and your computer will work a lot faster.

Now I was a little suspicious as the computer was not switched on, they asked me to switch it on which I did, then they asked me to log on to google which I did but thought strange why not bt direct, then then asked me to type in the google box "Teamviewer.com" they said they wanted to take my screen over, I wrote this down then bought it up no mention of BT I did not log on but told the caller (who sounded Indian) that I was happy with my computer but would get back with any further problems. He said that was up to me.

I immediately phoned BT got through and told them of the phone call they assured me that it was not from them but a hoax call and no problem with my computer but thanked me for the warning, so I am passing it on be aware I was not caught out but bet some poor soul would be.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"Teamviewer.com" .

I just googled that and it *looks* genuine. It lets another computer take charge of yours - then what ?

I wonder what he was going to get you to do next ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
the remote can view all you have on screen, I wonder if someone else is there also with an invisible mouse etc, and when you have a page open on your desktop for them there is another screen working behind the scenes also :Angry::Angry:

Yes well done Carol and thank you for reminding us

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, once remote control is established they have control and can access any files just as you can - except you can't because they have control.

As with so many things, do as Carol wisely did unless you are absolutely sure who you are dealing with.

Graham

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
More likely they will quickly transfer some kind if logging program that will feed them back all the info they need to rob you. I imagine they will make thte whole thing look genuine and you wont know until your next bank statement comes in. I use this software (not that particular one) all the time to access my customers computers (they trust me by the way and its with their permission) and its brilliant but it would be a piece of cake to do something like that. I wonder if there is anyway BT could trace where the call came from?

These people make me sick and its just making online stuff more difficult as more and more security needs to be put in place. I have around 6 online banking and investment accounts and its like getting into fort knox on some of them now. Suppose it shows the banks are taking security seriously though.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers for making people aware Carol.

I spend half of my working day remoting on to IT systems small and large with widely varying levels of security and data protection.

It is just these sort of scammers that make my life just a bit more difficult.

That said, It doesn't hurt making people more aware of the risks from such people.

Steve.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You should have known they were scammers because they called you Mrs. Davies.

Everyone knows you're Mrs Carol.

Well done for spotting the B'st@rds!

Phil

PS... How's Ed?

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
thanks Carol, glad it is not just me.
Three times in the last 3 months I have had a phone call saying my computer had automatically registered a fault with them, and if I gave them access to the computer they would sort it out! unreal. The first time I tried to logically explain that what they were trying to tell me was not likely to be true, but after that a short "F**k off, do you think I'm mental?" seemed to do the trick :ROFLMAO:

But it is worrying when you realise how many people now have computers and no real idea of what they are doing, leaves the door wide open for this sort of thing.

David

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Anyone ringing up for anything to do with utlity companies will be able to give you the account or reference number.

Just ask them for it, if they cant give it you, tell them to "go forth":thumb: and put the phone down

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They can access your details in this way - but what alot try to do, is use their access screen to buy goods with dodgy cards, send illegal material etc....which all gets traced back to your address through your IP.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Less than 10 minutes ago a guy (with Indian accent) called Richard phoned to say I had a problem with my computer. I asked what computer I don't have one (just a tiny fib):winky: Oh we must have the wrong details and rang off.

Seems they're trying everyone under the sun.:RollEyes:

Phil

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I guess that....If you want remote computer support...You have already 'phoned me....NOT the other way round.

Please don't fall for this scam?

Stay safe.

Steve.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks for the "heads up" on this one Carol.

As well as being ex directory, we are also registered with the http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/, which means that we get neither scam, hoax, nor marketing calls.

It does make a difference. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm registered with TPS (have been for years and it did reduce the number of call considerably) but recently I've had a lot of calls including the scammer mentioned above. It appears (mentioned on another forum) if they call from overseas they do not have to abide by TPS rules. I've checked the FAQs on the TPS site and can't find a mention of overseas calls.

Phil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've checked the FAQs on the TPS site and can't find a mention of overseas calls.

Phil

here is is

13. Will registering on the TPS stop unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas?

Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas you should contact the overseas company who is making the call.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Top tip in you are paying for caller Display with BT, ask for BT privacy and you will get caller display for free as well as registering for TPS.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've had calls that tell me my pc isn't protected or asking me if my pc is running right ar offering me protection for my pc, all I say is no thanks & put the phone down.
I tend to say no thanks to quite a lot & put the phone down.
My husband tells the window fitting cold calls that we don't have any windows!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Manda said:
My husband tells the window fitting cold calls that we don't have any windows!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I once had a chap at the front door, telling me that his firm were doing a special offer on double glazing in my area, and would I be interested?
I said "excuse me please", squeezed past him and turned round to take an exaggerated look at the current double glazing, and said to him, "what do you think"?. :ROFLMAO:
I shot back indoors quickly before he had a chance to answer me. :winky:

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back