Macbook Pro hard drive nearly full (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Help!

I am not very knowledgeable about computers, especially my Macbook. The hard drive is nearly full, mostly with photos (88gb) and "other". I cant see what "other" is, or if i can delete things. I am on Sierra, if that helps. I have backed up to an external hard drive, and I also have google photos, so have cloud storage I presume. I have recently bought a Canon EOS DSLR, and am shooting in raw, so suspect that is using a lot of memory, but I don't know.

Am I safe to delete the photos from the hard drive? Would you recommend updating to the latest, I think it is Mojave? It won't install, as not enough memory. Originally I had 250gb, but down to less than 10gb. I don't find Apple easy or intuitive, but confess I have never spent time learning it.
My preferred learning style appears to be pragmatic, learn enough to do what I want and not bother about the rest.

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Karen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You have all photos on an external hard drive and a on the Google photos cloud

Belt and braces, I would do a second backup of all photos to a 128GB USB memory stick .

Examlple>>>
SANDISK Cruzer Blade USB Memory Stick - 128 GB, Black
Broken Link Removed

now you can delete all the photos on the Mac, then install Mojave.

I have it running on an iMac and MacBook Pro.. no problems with it..

A more expensive solution would be a second external hard drive preferably SSD , 1TB .. that would give you a huge amount of storage

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
If you use the Mac's Photos app with iCloud storage, there is an option to reduce the size of photos stored on the device while retaining full-size versions in the cloud:

Screenshot 2018-11-25 at 18.57.29.png

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you just have the normal Google Photos it won't have the full sized images stored on it as it just stores a smaller version. You can get 1TB of storage from Google and it will automatically store full sized versions of all your images and all your other files too, but it costs £10 a month.

The USB stick above looks very good value but you might want to buy two so you have a backup of the backup. :)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
You don't say what EOS camera you have but RAW photo's can easily be 30meg each. Some EOS would be nearer 50meg.

Mac also (I think) save's every deleted photo and a memory of the photo's prior to editing.

So your memory can be taken up very quickly. I need to clear my MacBook pro out every year.

The last few months of photo's is 46 GB of data on my Mac.

I back up to two external drives and only keep the last few months of recent pictures on the PC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Get yourself a 2tb external hard drive and save everything to that.
If you are using any photoshop older than CC then don't upload Mojave, it won't support it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My Nikon can take Raw & JPG. If yours does the same, I would go through the photos and delete the images & raw versions that you will not use. I would then delete the raw versions of images that you might want to use sometime but are not worth editing. I would only keep the raw versions of images that have potential of being useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back