Win 10 (1 Viewer)

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Hi all, hope this is in the right place.
My pc tower has become almost unusable running Win7. Its slow and freezes/hangs, I tried to upgrade free to 10 when the offer was on from Microsoft but they said my licence number wouldn't allow it to install.
Its a legit number used by computer shops when selling so called refurbed computers. I am running Linux Mint alongside Win7 and its going like a train but I cant install my Epson printer. I have tried Linux over these last few years but its a bit nerdy for me and I don't understand a lot of things on it. I see on Ebay lots of Win10 downloads/discs/keys for sale from cheap up to around ÂŁ100 from Microsoft. What is the cheapest way of upgrading to 10 with a legit key. Thanks john.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What you'll have is a Windows 7 OEM product key which, assuming it's a genuine code, should have been upgradable to Windows 10.
Having said that a number of Windows 7 desktops \ laptops couldn't be upgraded as a result of the hardware not being able to run Windows 10. You'd better check this first before shelling out cash.
The only way you can ensure you get a valid copy of Windows 10 is buy it directly from Microsoft or one of their genuine resellers. A lot of reduced cost options will be pirated software that may or may not work.
Have a look here to see if a Linux driver for your printer may be available - https://epson.com/Support/wa00821
What version of Mint are you running? Latest is 19 however believe 19.1 is due out in next few weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Thanks for the replies, but I went for the easy option and did a clean install of win7.
I found a disc that if I remember rightly came with my pc.
It said on the label "Intended for distribution with a refurbished pc" I found a tool online to easily find my product code then backed up the computer to an external HD.
The install was quite painless, I thought I was getting away without putting in the product code but it asked me for it right at the end.
The pc is just as fast as Linux, I am well pleased. Thanks john.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As an aside -
Belarc Advisor or Speccy are great for getting product keys for installed software.
Once you've installed all the updates that will be required for Windows 7 take an image of the Windows installation (Macrium Reflect Free is great for this) so if you ever have to reinstall Windows again it will bring it back to the state it's at when you made the image rather than the original state.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My pc tower has become almost unusable running Win7.. I am running Linux Mint alongside Win7

Exactly what I have and I have because I used Mint to get rid of W10. Then I bought 7 because I need some old W running.

You may need to re-install W7 to give it a good clean up. I have Linux/W on separate HDs so would be easy for me.

Printers have been fine here, two Canons.

These days a new printer could be cheaper than a W10 load.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
which version of windows 7 have you installed as some versions have already been dropped from support , IIRC W7 pro is still supported (just)

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
As an aside -
Belarc Advisor or Speccy are great for getting product keys for installed software.
Once you've installed all the updates that will be required for Windows 7 take an image of the Windows installation (Macrium Reflect Free is great for this) so if you ever have to reinstall Windows again it will bring it back to the state it's at when you made the image rather than the original state.
I used Belarc to get my key and installed a load of updates at the time of the clean install. As for taking an image of the installation sorry that went over my head. john

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Exactly what I have and I have because I used Mint to get rid of W10. Then I bought 7 because I need some old W running.

You may need to re-install W7 to give it a good clean up. I have Linux/W on separate HDs so would be easy for me.

Printers have been fine here, two Canons.

These days a new printer could be cheaper than a W10 load.
Ive just done a re-install will I have to do it again? john

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ive just done a re-install will I have to do it again? john

I doubt it.

The most important thing at a time like this is make sure you back up anything you want to keep, it's all too easy to lose everything.

Have you tried Safe Mode ? Look it up but basically it loads the minimum to get you running. So boot into safe mode see what the speed is like.

There's nothing wrong with W7, W8 was a disaster, W10 was a disaster to the best of my knowledge.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One idiotic change from W7 to W10 was the inability to stop updates happening, AFAIK t's only the W10 pro version that you can actually do this with, the only other way is to change your broadband to a metered connection which means you will be asked to update so you still get nagged!

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
I doubt it.

The most important thing at a time like this is make sure you back up anything you want to keep, it's all too easy to lose everything.

Have you tried Safe Mode ? Look it up but basically it loads the minimum to get you running. So boot into safe mode see what the speed is like.

There's nothing wrong with W7, W8 was a disaster, W10 was a disaster to the best of my knowledge.
I must have got my wires crossed. In your post above tonight you said I might have to re-install win7 to give it a good clean up. Thats just what I did, what did I do wrong?:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I must have got my wires crossed.

I took that to mean you had already re-installed before I offered advice, in which case doing it again is not likely to help.

So, if you have recently re-installed W7 and it's still unstable you have the horrible task of finding out what is the problem.

As I said, by booting into safe mode only the minimum software is loaded. So you try and use that and see if it is stable.

OP
OP
fifthwheel
Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Thanks for the replies, but I went for the easy option and did a clean install of win7.
I found a disc that if I remember rightly came with my pc.
It said on the label "Intended for distribution with a refurbished pc" I found a tool online to easily find my product code then backed up the computer to an external HD.
The install was quite painless, I thought I was getting away without putting in the product code but it asked me for it right at the end.
The pc is just as fast as Linux, I am well pleased. Thanks john.
This is my post from Saturday, I was posting to say problem solved and my pc is running like a train. john.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As for taking an image of the installation sorry that went over my head. john
Basically, this makes a copy of your installation and saves it to an external USB drive. You can then reinstall this at a later stage, if required. It saves you having to go through all the updates (from the initial installation disc you've got) and reinstalling all the software \ programs you need \ use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back