Devrais-je acheter un traducteur?? (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Guys and Gal’s

I’m off to Froggy land and I’m booked on a Brittany ferry next month on the third and before I go I was thinking of buying a translator.

I know quite a few of you will say you don’t need one and just go you will be fine.

But having said that I would still be more comfortable and at ease if I had one. So the question is have any of you or will admit to purchasing a translator and had good experience with one, and can you recommend one.

I’m quite happy to accommodate a French lady to accompany me on my journey if you have one going spare rather than buying the translator.

Best Wishes Tony

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Google translate app. Simple and free.
Translated by typing also by speech plus you can use the phone camera to view text and it changes the language on screen.
Can be downloaded for offline use in the languages you want.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
HI thanks for that, that will save me a bit of money, I'll look into it, does it work without being conected to the internet??

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
not a lot of places in france that havnt got a data signal on your phone

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
HI thanks for that, that will save me a bit of money, I'll look into it, does it work without being conected to the internet??
You can download the language you are likely to need onto your phone so wouldn’t need internet access.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you use google translate you can download languages to your phone or tablet so don’t need an internet connection.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The duolingo app is quite good for a bit of brushing up of your language skills.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, you can download the stuff needed for it to work offline.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
All you need to say is bonjour.... they will talk back to you in English, they love to practice..:D

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We find this really useful, especially if you are reading something French.
IMG_0874.PNG

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Wow
for a free app this seems to fit the bill. Having seen youtube demonstrations of this app, obviously it has it's limitations but hey doesn't every free app have them and also the paid appliances also have their shortcomings.

Not sure if you have to pay for the total downloads so you can use it off line but even if that is so, it's a small price to pay as long as it helps you when in a fix.
Best Wishes Tony

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure if you have to pay for the total downloads so you can use it off line but even if that is so, it's a small price to pay as long as it helps you when in a fix.
Best Wishes Tony
You can download any language dictionaries you want, which means you can use it off line. You do not pay anything to do that. But I think you need to be on line for recording translation.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Another feature on Google is saving common phrases as faborites. Saves you having to type them every time (y) there is also a speech button so it will pronounce the word or phrase for you and either you can repeat it best you can or play the audio to the person you are talking to.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Les gens disent que la meilleure façon d'apprendre une langue est de coucher avec quelqu'un qui a la langue maternelle appropriée.
Pas seulement une fois, mais régulièrement, prenez une maîtresse ou épousez-la. Je n’ai pas essayé avec le français, mais ma femme est écossaise et, après 30 ans, je commence à la comprendre. Maintenant, j’ai écrit ceci en anglais et j’ai utilisé Google Translate pour traduire en français. Vous pouvez donc essayer Google Translate pour voir si la traduction est bonne.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Love that last reply - can Google translate 'weegie' - I very much doubt it! French is very much easier, but thinking of France as 'Froggy land' may not give you the best start. I wonder if you can even book a ferry to 'terre de grenouille.'

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Les gens disent que la meilleure façon d'apprendre une langue est de coucher avec quelqu'un qui a la langue maternelle appropriée.
Pas seulement une fois, mais régulièrement, prenez une maîtresse ou épousez-la. Je n’ai pas essayé avec le français, mais ma femme est écossaise et, après 30 ans, je commence à la comprendre. Maintenant, j’ai écrit ceci en anglais et j’ai utilisé Google Translate pour traduire en français. Vous pouvez donc essayer Google Translate pour voir si la traduction est bonne.
People say that the best way to learn a language is to sleep with someone who has the appropriate mother tongue.
Not only once, but regularly, take a mistress or marry her. I have not tried with French, but my wife is Scottish and after 30 years I start to understand her. Now, I wrote this in English and I used Google Translate to translate to French. So you can try Google Translate to see if the translation is good.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
reverso.net is very good, recommended to me by a French teacher as being much better than Google. It's also free and there is an app.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tried loads of translation apps best one I've found is Microsoft Translate (suprised me too) works well & free . You can use the phone camera, type in or record voice to it. Works a treat, and it files all your translatons.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure I understand this thread

We are British, therefore when in foreign countries, we just SHOUT LOUDER in English :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back