Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi All

I have just received our travel pack from Select Sites for our forthcoming trip to France. On reading all the info I am mortified to see that French regulations now stipulate that shorts are not allowed in the pools and that speedos/trunks must be worn!!!

Oh god, Rich is going to hit the roof!! :cry::cry::cry: There is not a hope in hell that he will wear them. How am I going to break this one to him?

I specifically booked this site as it permitted shorts and I know some sites have had this rule for some time. Has anyone come across this and have you just bitten the bullet and worn them or do you refrain from using the pool (which I am suspecting will be the answer I will get from Rich).

Vik

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear:whatthe:
If everybody has to wear them , then everyone will be in the same boat, or should i say speedos !
I'd make sure you take a cheap pair, just incase , you can guarantee the site shop will be selling them at a premium.
Just tell him there will always be someone bigger/older than him :Blush:
not to let it bother him. Just remember the camera:roflmto:
Bev

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Ive only ever stayed on one campsite in France that had a pool and they had that rule. I have no idea why. Anyway I just ignored it and went in the pool with shorts on. Nobody cared.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Just had a thought, I bought him a sequined thong for xmas (as a joke of course) & the kids seriously think he will be wearing it on hols. Our 4 year old even told all the nursery staff about it & they asked him when he went to pick her up:Blush:.

So he may have to get it out saves buying a pair:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The reason we were given is that shorts remove a lot of water from the pool when you get out which has to be replaced. Something along the lines of the signs you see in hotels in Spain asking you to refrain from having your towels laundered every day to conserve water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ive only ever stayed on one campsite in France that had a pool and they had that rule. I have no idea why. .

AFAIK .. it's a hygiene issue, to stop people from going in with cut-off jeans or shorts that they may have been wearing all day before arriving at the pool ..

I think it's a good rule...

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I don't....no shorts means no hubby in pool which means me in the pool supervising the kids all day. He is only coming along to babysit the kids you know - oh and to drive:roflmto:

Don't take offence but they are a kinda older guys attire aren't they or if you are an Italian stallion that would be ok. Not for a 30 something English guy, it's not a good look.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I too think that they are a good idea.

As Jim said the reason given is hygien and its a valid point.

People wander around all day and night in a pair of shorts and then jump into a swimming pool with all sorts of stuff clinging to their shorts.

With swimming trunks you put them on clean, then jump into the pool. When you get out you take them off and put something else on (or not as the case may be :whatthe:).

I thought that I wouldn't be able to wear them but I felt better than I normally do in a pair of shorts.

Jim
:roflmto:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Tandy, do you mean the outfit in the bottom left hand corner, very fetching.
Jim
:winky:

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

They look ok thanks for the info on them, will save that one as my ace card :roflmto:

I can't agree on the hygiene reason though, you will be banning swimming nappies next for babies & toddlers, what they hold is more than a bit of dust!!!! Plus isn't that what they have the chemicals for?

The other thing is you pay a premium to go on a site with a pool & I would have thought that premium is for the upkeep/maintenance of it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The other thing is you pay a premium to go on a site with a pool & I would have thought that premium is for the upkeep/maintenance of it?

It is, but there has to be some line drawn as to what clothing is allowed.. and a no shorts ban makes it easy to police. As Jim said, it ensures people change and shower BEFORE entering the pool .

Can you imagine going to your local pool with jeans and t shirt on and being allowed to use the pool without changing and showering or having long hair and not wearing a bathing cap ?

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I would think that someone wearing jeans & t-shirt trying to enter the pool would be easy enough for someone to police:ROFLMAO:. I've been on a fair few holidays over the years and have only ever seen people in the pool fully clothed in the early hours of the morning.

I'm talking the difference between a pair of SWIMMING SHORTS and a pair of speedos/trunks.

Both my girls have long hair 3/4 down their backs and have swimming lessons the youngest twice a week and have never been asked to wear a swimming cap!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm talking the difference between a pair of SWIMMING SHORTS and a pair of speedos/trunks.

There is nothing wrong per se with swimming shorts.. each to their own, the reason for the No Shorts rule is to prevent the great unwashed who wear them all week from going into the pool without changing.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I would think that someone wearing jeans & t-shirt trying to enter the pool would be easy enough for someone to police:ROFLMAO:. I've been on a fair few holidays over the years and have only ever seen people in the pool fully clothed in the early hours of the morning.

Both my girls have long hair 3/4 down their backs and have swimming lessons the youngest twice a week and have never been asked to wear a swimming cap!

Some of the camp sites in France insist that women wear bathing caps, again for reasons of hygiene.

Jim
:Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You are both right (the 2 Jims that is!)

Shorts are forbidden and have been for at least 10 years now only for hygienic reasons and i do agree with that rule! There's nothing more disgusting than unwashed people having a bath in their shorts, worn sometimes for a whole week non stop! Same thing for the swimming caps! and beleive me , happy or not rules are obeyed or made so by the staff in municipal pools.
Now i suppose that in campsites the manager decides! And if he decides no shorts , you'll be very lucky if you're not thrown out of the pool trying to wear shorts! Now it's up to you!:winky:::bigsmile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Good idea about the swim trunks re hygiene, that is until someone p**s in the pool then all hygiene rules are worthless. Two ee's or oo's can be put where the ** are.

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Wonder if my 19 month old p**s/p**s in his swimming nappy whether he will get thrown out!!!!

Bit of a pointless rule really.

Don't forget the people who take their babies/toddlers in without said nappy and not trained! I've seen that loads surely that is more unhygienic?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Wonder if my 19 month old p**s/p**s in his swimming nappy whether he will get thrown out!!!!

Bit of a pointless rule really.

Don't forget the people who take their babies/toddlers in without said nappy and not trained! I've seen that loads surely that is more unhygienic?

They usually have their little own pool and stay with their mum, either with a little bikini on or even in their nuddies and all the mums know what can happen don't they ..... as usual it is up to each one. Special bath nappies exist now for that purpose.
I used to shower them , very short bath in my arms and .... back on a seat , my husband and i used to go to swimm one after the other , but most of the time we were on the beach with a little pool (unflatable ? is it the word???) and baby was staying in the shade with either his mum or his dad : no worries and no one could say a word against our children!:winky::winky::Smile:

Frankie:Smile:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Apologies if someone has already said this but they just have to be fitted and lycra type but in our experience they don't have to be little briefs! In France the shops have a huge variety of them and Dave ended up with a fitted pair of shorts which he wore.

Of course if he wants to wear a pair of tighty white Speedos a la Mr Beckham I'm sure that will be fine too :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Of course if he wants to wear a pair of tighty white Speedos a la Mr Beckham I'm sure that will be fine too :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong hubby is a looker - in my opinion!! But if he was magically transformed into becks I wouldn't be grumbling:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I also used to use a blow up paddling pool .
We bought it when the twins were 8 months old and Jacob was 2. It was out of necessity . And to keep us sane.
We were staying in a hotel in Crete.
It had 3 pools and it was a nightmare . Lovely hotel wanted for nothing , but a nightmare with 3 very inquisitive babies. We definitely needed a rest when we got home (and I'm a stay at home mum)
The twins would be off crawling in different directions lots of marble floors and steps , and Jacob would be heading for the nearest deep end.
We has invested in the foam type vest buoyancy aids .
But once on the water Isabel and Isaac would go face down legs up .:whatthe:
The paddling pool was great on the beach and we used it many a time.
I also used retractable dog leads for a couple of years too .
Not round their necks , fastened to the reins harness.
That way they could wander and have a bit of freedom but i still had them, if you know what i mean.
Bev

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
You haven't met my little un. He is a climber, thrower, screamer and a little sod (in a nice way) there is no way a blow up pool will satisfy him unless I chained him in it, he will be off. Went to Waddington Air Show got out of M/Home 9.30am with a flat on the pram - no puncture repair kit..my fault of course.

He walked the whole day all the way around without a moan not bad going for his age but just shows how much energy he has. Maybe I will send him off walking with dad everyday then he wouldn't need the lycra after all.

:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Me?
Speedos?
Two pounds of sh*t in a one pound bag comes to mind.
At least swim shorts hide some sins.
John

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I hate to say this but as naturists we don't often have the need to actually wear cozzies, consequently ours were bought yonks ago but haven't had a lot of wear, and we thought were out of date. But no intention of buying any more to sit in a drawer for years on end, no point, is there? We always take em on holiday with us 'in case' as they take no room and did actually use em at Azay le Rideau lido last summer.

Although Pete has had some swimming shorts, he wore em as shorts. So his cozzie is still - Speedos anyway!

I haven't worn a swimming cap since I was about 10 and have no intention whatsoever of starting to do so, 50 years later!

(I was ordered out of West Brom baths in 1960 something because of not wearing a cap, my hair was about the length of my avatar photo whereas all the blokes had long flowing locks at the time, but didn't have to wear caps. Blatant sexism but not illegal then. Said I'd never go back and I never did LOL)

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I love it how you've superimposed Borats head on the piccie of my hubby! How did you do that?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Barky-Bill

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Leigh On Sea
Funster No
MH
ITINEO CD720 A Class
Exp
On and off all my life
speedos.jpg

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It's just not a good 'look' is it, I certainly won't be wearing 'em!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back