Comfort insurance theft update (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
just received the following from comfort insurance, I guess the post codes may change depending where your MH location
Over the past 2 months we have seen an increase in thefts of Fiat Motorhomes due to technology available to purchase online, which overrides the manufacturer standard security.

Areas specifically targeted are along the A127 within the postal codes of:
  • CM
  • CO
  • RM
  • SS
If you own a Fiat Motorhome in these areas please be aware of the increased theft risk.
While Motorhome thefts are rare, our claims statistics have shown that Fiats are being targeted. We recommend investigating and installing deterrents and/or taking preventative measures to decrease the risk of theft. Steering wheel locks, wheel-clamps and door locks are some ideas for extra security.

We would also like to mention that Ford Motorhomes still have the highest theft rates in the
above areas particularly including:
  • SO
  • BH
If you are thinking of, or have already purchased a Ford Motorhome please be aware of this increased risk and fit preventatives to the vehicle.
As a result of the increased risk with Ford Motorhomes and Campervans we require certain types of security when you take out or renew an insurance policy with us.

The underwriters, Aviva require your Motorhome to be fitted with a Meta Trak VTS or Thatcham Approved Category 5 or 6 tracking device.

However, if you would prefer not to fit a tracking device please contact our office and speak to our team or info@comfort-insurance.co.uk. We will be happy to look for alternative insurance providers for you, which may not have the same requirements and answer any questions you may have.

We hope you found this information helpful and keeps your Motorhome safe and sound.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I'm with Comfort and have a CO postcode. Just got my email from them.
I have secure storage also in a CO postcode
There are no CO postcodes along the A127 though
CO is a Colchester postcode and stops well before the A127.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We are not in those post codes but have received the same e mail. I guess it's a timely reminder whatever vehicle you've got. What, I wonder, is the significance of the A127, are their more people of a certain persuasion travelling along that road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I'm with Comfort and have a CO postcode. Just got my email from them.
I have secure storage also in a CO postcode
There are no CO postcodes along the A127 though
CO is a Colchester postcode and stops well before the A127.

I've just received my email from Comfort as I have a CM post code and live not far from A127.

As I read it, as I am a Fiat owner they are just advising me of increased theft risk, and suggesting some preventative measures. (Hopefully my Growler, Non Starter and security post will keep my van on my drive.(y))

As for Ford vans, it looks like they are going to have a tracker fitted.

What I don't understand is why aren't the insurance companies not putting more pressure on the manufacturers to increase their basic security rather than putting the onus on the owner?

Cheers

Trevor

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We are not in those post codes but have received the same e mail. I guess it's a timely reminder whatever vehicle you've got. What, I wonder, is the significance of the A127, are their more people of a certain persuasion travelling (living) along that road.

Yes !

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Presumably a farm, small holding or barn in that radius where vehicles are stripped down and parts sold off. We could all help by asking questions re second hand parts and build up intel to forward to police to detain this criminal outfit. Or if living and know area being vigilant to motorhomes moving about or possible locations where they are stored. They can be broken down very quickly less than 24 hours to dismantle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
There was a clarification e-mail from them this morning saying that the requirement to MetaTrak and the like, is only definitely required for Ford based motorhomes and is advised for Fiat bases.
Either way we are sorted having fitted @eddievanbitz Strikeback alarm plus the MetaTrak tracking/engine blocking system (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back