tom tom camper sat nav (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
See tom tom has released a camper sat nav £380 or there abouts puts it in ball park with others

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Looks like it's sponsored by MHF too :ROFLMAO:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/camper/

WTF.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You can currently get a Garmin 770LMT-D for around £275.(y)

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Enquired with Tom Tom if you would be able to install your own BMP'S with your installed Poi's which your unable to do with the 620 trucker model and the answer was NO, so what is the point of delivering a camper spacific model that you can't put your own BMP'S on, at least on the old model 1005 you could.

Tezza35

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
3 years
Enquired with Tom Tom if you would be able to install your own BMP'S with your installed Poi's which your unable to do with the 620 trucker model and the answer was NO, so what is the point of delivering a camper spacific model that you can't put your own BMP'S on, at least on the old model 1005 you could.
I have the new TomTom Go Camper and have installed my 200k poi’s on it no problem .

Tezza35

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
Weymouth
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
3 years
I have the new TomTom Go Camper and have installed my 200k poi’s on it no problem .
Sorry no bmp’s but they do have have a lot of different coloured symbols you can assign to each different category.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
I have bought one and so far pleased with the unit. It is expensive but l like the fact that you can plan routes on My Drive but the best part for me is that it will also load .itn files (much better for following exact routes you program in imho. I use Tyre and the excellent and free MotoGoLoco Maps or a combination of both) and pois directly from a SD Card. TomTom Traffic is exceptional and Speed Camera updates and Map Corrections come in via WiFi regularly. For the money it should have come with a hard case and fixed mounting options both of which I bought separately. Much better than any pre installed dash SatNav.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I have bought one and so far pleased with the unit. It is expensive but l like the fact that you can plan routes on My Drive but the best part for me is that it will also load .itn files (much better for following exact routes you program in imho. I use Tyre and the excellent and free MotoGoLoco Maps or a combination of both) and pois directly from a SD Card. TomTom Traffic is exceptional and Speed Camera updates and Map Corrections come in via WiFi regularly. For the money it should have come with a hard case and fixed mounting options both of which I bought separately. Much better than any pre installed dash SatNav.
Love em or hate em as people say like marmite and i am glad it suits you - and you are the one spending the money - very much a personal choice though and i am fairly happy with my tomtoms although the 6200 professional has caused me a few problems only really on updating though

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Don't forget that if you already have a TomTom and want to buy a new one then TT will give you a discount! My understanding is that they'll give you 10% on the new Camper model now and if you can wait until November they'll give you 25% (once it's been released for 6 months). You have to contact them by email or phone to ask for the discount code.

However I decided to splash out £42 on a new XGody 7 inch truck satnav and it does the job just fine!

Deleted User
Don't forget that if you already have a TomTom and want to buy a new one then TT will give you a discount! My understanding is that they'll give you 10% on the new Camper model now and if you can wait until November they'll give you 25% (once it's been released for 6 months). You have to contact them by email or phone to ask for the discount code.

However I decided to splash out £42 on a new XGody 7 inch truck satnav and it does the job just fine!

Now it's tips like that which make the £15 subs well worthwhile. Awesome! Thank you

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
I have just got one but can not up date with windows 10 they are not compatible

£380 for a nightmare

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have just got one but can not up date with windows 10 they are not compatible

£380 for a nightmare

Won’t it update via WiFi?

I never connect mine to the PC.

Ian

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Ann&MikeMancs

The GO Camper is compatable with Windows, including window 10 and Mac systems. Updating etc by use of a Computer is more complicated than the recommended method which is by connecting it directly to Wifi and then:

Menu
Settings
Updates and New Items.

For those with a GO camper and other Tomtom GO*200 units you may find the following very useful.

I recently had the situation that the Inbuilt Sim would not connect to the Tomtom Servers for the traffic information and apparently a number of people were experiencing a similar problem at the time. Where I was there were major road works which were causing big problems but it coincided with a big Premiere League football match so lots of extra traffic. I have a Mifi .and so logged the unit into the Mifi and the result was that the GO camper immediately logged into Tomtom servers and Traffic worked perfectly. The following day, and subsequently, the Inbuilt Sim connected normally and traffic info delivered. I have not tried it but I assume it will also work from a Phone Hotspot.

Doug

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
tomtom camper now working fine via wifi
thanks for feedback

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As the memory on my trusty GO1005 was all but full, and not extendable, I decided to look for a replacement. An email from TomTom gave a series of discounts so I checked out the website and had a good look at the Camper. Then I had a good look at the GO6200 which had just been released and found that it's facilities pretty well matched the Camper but at over £100 less. The only apparent difference was that there were no lists of campsites on the 6200, not a problem as I have practically every campsite POI stored ready to download onto the satnav. If I've got a quibble, it is that you can't add your own BMP's, you're limited to a small selection of coloured icons - I'm sure that wouldn't be much of a programme update!

Used it for the first time last week and it almost immediately proved it's worth when it told me of a serious hold up on the A1 and routed me round it, saving over two hours! So far I'm very happy with it but the test will come in January when we're off to Morocco.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Go 6200 truck version can lose map on updates via wifi - you have to re-download map can take hours - i wont download unless hooked up to computer - the tomtom does what i want i am just cautious with downloads now

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Go 6200 truck version can lose map on updates via wifi - you have to re-download map can take hours - i wont download unless hooked up to computer - the tomtom does what i want i am just cautious with downloads now

Thanks for the warning - anybody else had that, or a similar, problem?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Care is required to avoid inadvertently initiating a map update if the WiFi you have access to is poor.

If you start an update on a poor signal, you could end up with no map on the device so my advice would be to only perform map updates when you are at home!

I fell foul of this on my first trip away!

Ian

Reactions: DJA

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I was going to ask how you know if the signal is poor, but then I realised updates are via WiFi, not the inbuilt sim which is used for TomTom services e.g. road info etc. There is an indicator of the strength of the WiFi signal in the Settings menu.

We live and learn!

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
It is certainly worth taking a 2nd cheap or spare backup satnav saves a lot of stress - got caught out once - wife is useless at map reading wont drive van either so can be a problem - i like the ease of using sat navs so using 2 sat navs works for me - not bothered if people like what i do or not it is what i am comfortable and happy with

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
As the memory on my trusty GO1005 was all but full, and not extendable, I decided to look for a replacement. An email from TomTom gave a series of discounts so I checked out the website and had a good look at the Camper. Then I had a good look at the GO6200 which had just been released and found that it's facilities pretty well matched the Camper but at over £100 less. The only apparent difference was that there were no lists of campsites on the 6200, not a problem as I have practically every campsite POI stored ready to download onto the satnav. If I've got a quibble, it is that you can't add your own BMP's, you're limited to a small selection of coloured icons - I'm sure that wouldn't be much of a programme update!

Used it for the first time last week and it almost immediately proved it's worth when it told me of a serious hold up on the A1 and routed me round it, saving over two hours! So far I'm very happy with it but the test will come in January when we're off to Morocco.
try to miss the camels, ard thee best ,pj ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back