fridge (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi all,
So we have just finished our months tour around Scotland, all went very well, the only thing we struggled with was we could have done with a larger fridge.
A the moment we have an Electrolux RM4207 far too small with only 80 litre capacity, have been looking around at various others, trouble is we only have the available space under the sink.
It wouldn`t help moving it to the were the cupboard is as then we would have the wheel arch in the way, the only option to give more space would be to turn the sink around, this would mean loosing the cutlery drawer which wouldn`t really be a loss.
We could then fit a Dometic RM8500 which would give us an additional
26 litres of space, :coolthumb: what a dilema a fair amount of work to fit, £781 cost for new fridge.

Is it really worth it :whistle:

Answers written on the back of any old £20 or £50 notes please :thumb:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

We have had the same problem with the fridge not being big enough. What we have done is buy an electric cool box it just fits in inbetween the driver & passenger seats in the no good for anything really space and plugs into the 12v socket on the dash.

It is from Argos it was £34.99 24 litre. It will just be used for beer/cold drinks for the kids but will save loads of room in the main fridge. Could be an option if you have somewhere to put it, plus it will save you a whole lot of money and that is always good :thumb:.

Vik

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
That is beer for us cold drinks for the kids:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We augment our fridge with a good quality coolbox that runs off 12V or 230V electricity.

We keep the box in the large space underneath our fixed bed.

It is ideal for products that just need to be kept cool, such a vegetables, fruit, drinks etc.

A 12V compressor fridge holds more than a three way fridge due ti its smaller operating components.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Just shop little and often, and a cool box for cans etc. we had a small fridge in the bessi but always managed , but the fridge in our new van is much larger with a seperate freezer compartment .:thumb::thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We recently upgraded our campervan (which is now for sale)
to a larger m/h and with the latter having a larger fridge/freezer it is bliss,
it is so easy now to store and get what is needed, nought wrong with under the counter size,
but logically there is a limit of what you can get into it and i did insist "you will go in " :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is it really worth it :whistle:

Only you can say whether it's worth it or not ... my opinion is that the bigger it is the more you will put in it.. and it will use more LPG .
The same goes for motorhomes.. no matter how big, they get filled.

Turn the question on it's head .. Why do I need a fridge in the first place ?

We camped and caravaned for donkeys years with no fridge, even in the South of France, in summer, in a tent we had no fridge .. we had a cold box and used ice from the camp shop.

So, what exactly requires refrigeration ?

Milk .. No, we use UHT
Eggs .. No .. eggs last for weeks on the shelf, you never see them in fridges in shops.
Salad .. No, it can be bought and used on the same day
Butter and Cheese... well, yes and no, when we didn't have fridge we kept them in a bucket of cold water in the shade

Cold drinks and or beer, yes.. perhaps the only good reason for a fridge but you don't need a giant fridge for that..

We are off camping next week and won't have a fridge, not even a cold box :winky:

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I guess I`m a true Virgo, pain in the arse it must be right down to the last detail..well not really that bad but once you start thinking mmhh I could do that the horse is well and truly bolted with more than just the gate left open.

Scotland was a reality check in that there isn`t always a supermarket within 10 miles or 50 come to that so we needed to stock up and as we are really a pair of foodies it`s nice to have the choice rather than a fridge full of Tescos finest ready meals.

It was commented on when we are having a drink with another couple that who takes an electric knife with them, well you have to cut the fresh bread somehow don`t you...:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Scotland was a reality check in that there isn`t always a supermarket within 10 miles or 50 come to that so we needed to stock up and as we are really a pair of foodies it`s nice to have the choice rather than a fridge full of Tescos finest ready meals.

Yeah.. you softies from down south could never survive without a Tesco on your doorstep .. and haggers is planning on retiring there .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.. culture shock big time..

but you have a valid point, we don't 'do' ready meals, frozen muck or take-way crap either.

we, that is ME, chief and only cook, cooks only fresh, I do a lot in the wok , .. veg doesn't need a fridge, meat is best left hanging in the shower to 'ripen' :roflmto:... fish .. buy kippers or salted..

the only tinned I buy are beans and tomatoes, tuna and salmon so no need to have a fridge..

but as you say, some just must have the caviare served on a bed of ice..

did I mention SPAM .... ?? ::bigsmile::spam:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I guess I`m a true Virgo, pain in the arse it must be right down to the last detail....:Doh:

I know the type so well, Ralph and all 3 of our children are all Virgos. :cry:
Bev

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our small-ish fridge is still absolutely huge compared to what we had in the caravan!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Our small-ish fridge is still absolutely huge compared to what we had in the caravan!

Must agree with Sedge started in a caravan, fridge 1ft cube inside aprox yet it was enough. The one we have now seems like a walk in job by comparison, and its not particularly large.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back