Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Just started planning a week's holiday ,Cornwall to Bordeaux.The obvious route seems to be Portsmouth ,Roscoff,Rennes,Nantes,Niot,Bordeaux as given by AA route finder.
If anyone has any tips or posible alternative routes etc I would be most grateful.

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi Poppys
We have booked with Norflok line
Link Removed
(Dover to Dunkerque) 22nd Sep returning 15th Oct 2 of us with 24ft Autostratus and its costing us £51 return. We are going to Germany and Alsace.
But Dunkerque to Bordeaux is according to google map 537 miles = Rouen, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux.
Opposed to Roscoff, Bordeaux = 435miles and I bet the difference in ferry fare pays for the diesel. :thumb:

Harry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Poppys
We have booked with Norflok line
Link Removed
(Dover to Dunkerque) 22nd Sep returning 15th Oct 2 of us with 24ft Autostratus and its costing us £51 return. We are going to Germany and Alsace.
But Dunkerque to Bordeaux is according to google map 537 miles = Rouen, Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux.
Opposed to Roscoff, Bordeaux = 435miles and I bet the difference in ferry fare pays for the diesel. :thumb:

Harry

Hi Harry the route you have chosen is not necessary the quickest or the cheapest, give Dover a consideration. IE Dover to Dunquerke £35 each way for 7 meter MH.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi Harry the route you have chosen is not necessary the quickest or the cheapest, give Dover a consideration. IE Dover to Dunquerke £35 each way for 7 meter MH.

Doug...

Hi Doug
As in the post below the return price we have paid for a 7mtr Mh Dover to Dunkerque is £51
and the route from Dunkerque to Bordeaux is the non toll route.

Hi Poppys We have booked with Norflok line [URL="http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/?campaign=searchgoogle&gclid=CMnSi-bp4aICFY0m3wod9QvYwg" said:
http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/?ca...FY0m3wod9QvYwg[/URL]
Opposed to Roscoff, Bordeaux = 435miles and I bet the difference in ferry fare pays for the diesel. ...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I was reading the original poster was from Cornwall,? a long way to Dover but if done would it be cheaper? or more fun?
Personally Portsmouth is closer for our selves but we go Dover Calais every time. More frequent ferries, as said £50 or less (paid £26 in february) and when your in France its a pleasure to drive over there.

As for Bordeaux? We have been in September, although we go a little further west to the great surfing beaches. Had great weather in September with Great surf and have been going back every year since.
Once you have got to Bordeaux, another 2-3 hours down the infamous n10 and your in to some great bits of France.

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi haganap
Last year we were down east of Bordeaux (the Lot valley, Cahors area)and loved it. We only had 10 days so looked into things and ended up on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry and it cost us around £300 and maybe we saved 2 or 3 hours driving and 200 miles but never again. The trip to Dover from Penzance is a pain but anywhere from Cornwall is a bit of a pain as we got to go over the same stetch of road the A30 or A38 to M5, M4 or A303, M3 to get anywhere at all.
Hey but what a beautiful place to live !:Smile:

Harry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Wondered why you said never again. Was it the extra cost or was it for other reasons? In my original post I put Portsmouth and it should have been Plymouth. We have only got just over a week and are meeting our son, daughter in law and grandson in Arcachon. So time will be important to us as we don't want to be driving huge distances from Cornwall to Kent and then an extra 200 miles in France.

We have looked on the websites of Brittany Ferries, Direct Ferries and Caravan club and the cheapest we can find is £406 with reclining seats or £386 with no reserved seats. As we are both getting on a bit it is important to us to have a comfortable seat guaranteed. Any other ideas of other websites or coments?

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi poppys
Only said never again because of the cost, everything else was fine.
We went Roscoff through Landivislau, sizun to the A60 above La Faou.
The road down was good but busy and it was an 8 hr drive with one brief stop for a brew up and a pasty.
I live in Goldsithney send a private message if you would like to meet up for a pastis and a pasty and a chat.

Harry

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back