Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Cant be many about, anyone on here had anything to do with em?

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Cant help but my dad owns a scott flying squirrel and always wanted a Silk to add to the collection
You can definitely see the heritage from scott, I think the engine on the later model looked a lot better though, but could never get my head around Siamese pipes on a 2 stroke!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
First saw one at the motorcycle show at Earls Court in the 70's

Engine is a 2 cylinder 2 stroke based around the Scott motorcycles

It was unusual & I really liked them. Didn't have the dosh to buy one then - not sure I have the space or desire now (currently restoring a TZ Yamaha race bike from the same era)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You can definitely see the heritage from scott, I think the engine on the later model looked a lot better though, but could never get my head around Siamese pipes on a 2 stroke!

We are not talking about performance here. Siamese exhausts would have given it torque. It seem expensive but they are bloody rare.
It looks a solid bike and I sure you wouldn't lose any money on it ------- if you live long enough

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Not my cup of tea, but never known anyone who had one back in the day. Don't know what sort of numbers were sold.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Barry Scully who was the works rider for Scotts when they tried a comeback to racing in the late 60s worked at Hadfields Steels in Sheffield where I was doing my apprenticeship. Just for information, Hadfields was where Meadowhall shopping centre is now.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Saw this one at a bike rally/show earlier this year:
IMG_20180718_192120.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Siamesed pipes have no effect on torque on a two-stroke. They also appear not to interfere with the various tuned lengths within a two stroke exhaust which I can only surmise is due to the pulse from the firing cylinder not 'seeing' the pipe from the other cylinder. They're used to good effect on some high powered engines. A friend uses snow mobile engines to power racing hovercraft and as supplied with three pipes into (what looks like but isn't) a simple cylindrical silencer produce around 120bhp from an 890cc triple. He blows individual expansion chambers for them mainly because mounting the original is near impossible within the regulations for the class and gains maybe 30 or so hp. Designing expansion chambers one per cylinder is hard enough & there's no design information for the alternative but there's no reason to doubt that the same gain could be achieved from a single pipe.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Its one of the multitude of bikes out there that have gone into production without actually finding out if people are going to buy it when it gets built, assuming they don't go bust beforehand.
NEC will be full of them this week.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Over the years Iv'e played around with fabricating expansion pipes & managed to gain & move power up & down the rev range, the most power difference was on a Polaris quad, from pretty average to the point of it leaving darkies on tarmac from all 4 wheel's(y) But development was very time consuming & having to change the auto clutch setup as well.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The look of the Silk reminds me of my CBX1000A, apart from the dirty great 6 cyl motor hanging off the frame.
Do you still have it?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Its one of the multitude of bikes out there that have gone into production without actually finding out if people are going to buy it when it gets built, assuming they don't go bust beforehand.
NEC will be full of them this week.
They aren't going to be built.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The look of the Silk reminds me of my CBX1000A, apart from the dirty great 6 cyl motor hanging off the frame.
I had a CBX new in 1981(y) .. great 6cyl engine which certainly got folk interested and fine in a straight line, but not the best around the S bends.:eek:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I was very lucky back in the 70s (as a young boy) in so far as George Silk was a friend of my fathers, my dad being very much into Scott motorcycles.

George’s business remanufactured many parts for Scott’s, and George Himself was an enthusiast.

I seem to recall that he wanted to (in effect) reinvent the Scott for the modern day, and the Silk in its various guises was his attempt to do so.

The very early versions used a straight Scott engine, in a frame of George’s design made by Spondon engineering, in Derby.

He took me out on the mule when we were visiting once, in my eyes he was a Demi god (I’d have been about 13 at the time I guess) and the coolest guy on the planet with the best job. I’ll always remember his light purple coloured aviator glasses, looked like a film star!

The early bikes were marketed as Silk Scott’s, latterly the bikes were badged as Silks.

Never got to ride one myself but dad reckoned they handled like they were on rails...then again he was used to riding a bike with no rear suspension and girder forks!

I’ll see if I can find some pictures, but thanks @Enword for making my trip down memory lane of happy times

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back