Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK the wee-man has asked for a xbox1 he says the 1s has software issues
So he is happy with a refurbished unit as apposed to a new unit
Now this is a delema for me.
Do I buy him the 1s give him a clip round the lug hole and tell him to like or lump it
Or take it on the chin and get him the refurbished unit any gamers out thare as I know nothing about theas things
Bill

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
ok Bill...
Just messaged my techie son.

here is his answer..

"The original Xbox one is outdated now and is slower than the Xbox one S , the software on the Xbox one / Xbox one S are exactly the same as it’s the same console apart from the Xbox one is smaller and a bit faster and has a 4K blu Ray player"

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or you do him a favour and buy him, well anything, but an xbox.

I am totally distressed at the hours my grandson wastes on xbox. Took over his life years ago. Bad parenting I guess. They are as addictive as class a drugs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ask him to make up his mind Steve.....
"The original Xbox one is outdated now and is slower than the Xbox one S , the software on the Xbox one / Xbox one S are exactly the same as it’s the same console apart from the Xbox one is smaller and a bit faster and has a 4K blu Ray player"

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Or you do him a favour and buy him, well anything, but an xbox.

I am totally distressed at the hours my grandson wastes on xbox. Took over his life years ago. Bad parenting I guess. They are as addictive as class a drugs.
We strictly control his time on the gaming
He probably only gets on it when it's not a school day he has somany other activetes frome rugby to youth club judo kick boxing he dosent get home from school till 18.30
Saturday he's at school for sports half day
Then Sunday rugby
Don't think he has time to get hooked
Bill

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
ok Bill...
Just messaged my techie son.

here is his answer..

@tonka Maybe I'm reading it wrongly but it's the 1s that has the 4k player \ upscaling.

@Wildbill The other thing to consider is what length of warranty do you get on the refurb vs the new unit?
You should be able to get a good deal on the 1s as it's being discounted given the recent release of the 1x. Black Friday is this week so might be worthwhile seeing what's on offer then?
ps our techie boy says 1s as well.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ask him to make up his mind Steve.....

LOL...
Maybe i pushed him to hard for a fast reply..
I know naff all about them.. Except like Brian says, kids today can spend to much time on them....
Glad my grandson has the interest in the Cadets, get's him away from it some of the time. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We strictly control his time on the gaming

Bill

Thank goodness for some decent parenting. My grandson if far from alone, there is a whole tribe of them locked into mortal combat, he, and I guess the others, have full headsets and are oblivious to the real world but inhabit this xbox world.

He is good at football and no complaints from school but I'm still worried.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thank goodness for some decent parenting. My grandson if far from alone, there is a whole tribe of them locked into mortal combat, he, and I guess the others, have full headsets and are oblivious to the real world but inhabit this xbox world.

OK grandad find sumthing you both like and do it swimming I grate for both of you one night a week
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK grandad find sumthing you both like and do it swimming I grate for both of you one night a week
Bill

I'm sorry to say I've given up. I've taken him out on the bike, he falls asleep on me. I've taken him Karting but last time I offered this he backed out. I've bought him the BBC Micro:Bit, he can understand it but not interested, a few flashing LEDs is no match for Xbox. So you can see where I am coming from.

He is in a football team and a good goal scorer so not totally lost.

He is 12 YO and infested with Xbox for 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'm sorry to say I've given up. I've taken him out on the bike, he falls asleep on me. I've taken him Karting but last time I offered this he backed out. I've bought him the BBC Micro:Bit, he can understand it but not interested, a few flashing LEDs is not match for Xbox. So you can see where I am coming from.

He is in a football team and a good goal scorer so not totally lost.

He is 12 YO and infested with Xbox for 4 or 5 years.
:(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

Tomorrow's surgeons could well be the gamers of today. (if AI doesn't replace everyone ;))
Improving coordination, problem solving, improving memory and reactions, multitasking, team playing, there's lots of benefits.
For 'learning' and a future career in IT, perhaps PC gaming is better, as a curious young mind will learn how it all works (downside is crazy prices and ever changing technology)

Re the X Box -
Black Friday will be the best time to buy, with bundles being the best value (particularly if you want one or two of the latest games)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I got my son the original xbox for Christmas. He wasn't too impressed so...........
upload_2018-11-13_7-22-24.png

I got him the xbox 360. Still not impressed so..............

upload_2018-11-13_7-26-53.png

I go him the new xbox 1 for his birthday. and he loves it

upload_2018-11-13_7-23-8.png

Hope that helps Bill (y)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I've bought him the BBC Micro:Bit, he can understand it but not interested, a few flashing LEDs is no match for Xbox.
Have you tried explainingcomputers.com? There's a 'raspberry pi robotics' series that starts from scratch and builds a working robot. Better than just a few flashing lights. And it does real programming using Python, not the over-simplified dross you sometimes see. Kids learn from youtube nowadays. It's the way forward.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you tried explainingcomputers.com? There's a 'raspberry pi robotics' series that....................

As I said, I've given up for now. I'm not begging him get interested.

BUT, a robot, it's near Christmas, I think you might be on to something there. It will be Arduino though, much easier to live with and I love C but not keen on Python ( any program that relies on spaces instead of braces is poo to me ).

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok folks I order it today I also ordered a new axe to put through it even looks like he's on it touch
bill

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I love C but not keen on Python ( any program that relies on spaces instead of braces is poo to me ).
I see where you're coming from, but for a beginner there's less geeky symbols and constructs in Python which makes it easier to learn and use. I think Python is to C as a bowsaw is to a chainsaw. C is great for professionals, but full of pitfalls and dangers for a beginner. I think Python is the easiest to learn of all the serious languages.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
less geeky symbols and constructs .

I said he was uninterested, but he is clever.

I've spent ages looking at all things robot and ordered a very simple two wheel track/avoid kit. I hope it will be simple enough not to stress his attention span. I don't hold out much hope and can see me building it and see if it moving triggers some enthusiasm.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok controllers do x box 360 ones work on the 1s ?
cheers bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back