Solo female travelers...pros and cons (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi,
Im a beginner in my 30's..as in I am researching which van to buy for me and my yorkie's summer trips. I've seen lots of videos on youtube which "project" only positive elements of the solo female vanlife but would love to learn more about the day to day realities. I plan to travel around the UK and Ireland for a good while before going further afield.
So not really sure what to ask about specifically? I dont really believe that a female solo travelers is automatically at more risk. I guess Im wondering what precautions should a female solo van gal take so as to feel secure on the road?
Also, wondering how I might make my yorkie feel secure....I guess blacked out windows so that he wouldnt be easily seen when I'm away from the van for a few hours and an alarm?

Lastly, I'm anxious to learn as much as I can about mechanical stuff...luckily have a mechanic in the family to help with that...but how do you feel about breaking down on the road? Is breakdown assistance reliable? I guess local garages are likely to put a premium on prices when they see a stranded foreign campervan?
Would love to hear your experiences and how you handled them :)
Trying to find a balance against the youtube vanlife falsehoods.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Mechanically motorhomes are pretty basic for a mechanic and other than possible size problems in their garage, there should be little difference from a car.
Most, if not all vans have an assortment of blinds that leave you as private as you might wish to be.
There are many solo female drivers in Motorhomes. A visit to a Motorhome rally might be a good way to meet other single lady travellers and to discuss any concerns face to face.
Finally, from my own experience, the larger the van the easier the controls are to use.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
You could do a car maintenance course at nightschool / college. This would give you a basic understanding of mechanical issues, most of which would be transferable to a motorhome.
Breakdown cover is essential for all and on the limited number of occasions I've needed it they turned up pretty quickly.
I think female drivers also receive priority attention.
There are solo female members who I'm sure will be along soon to reassure you further.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I travel solo (except my vicious cocker spaniel :) )

I don’t wild camp and stay on sites for security but other single ladies on here are happy to overnight in lay-bys. It all depends on your own perception of danger.

I have RAC cover for mechanical emergencies with relay to get me home if necesssary.

Enjoy the lifestyle without over-thinking it would be my advice :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I was a solo female fulltimer for over 3 years - still fulltiming but now as part of a couple. Travelled around UK staying at a mixture of CC sites (in winter when it’s cheapest), CLs and THSs, Fun rallies and wild camping. No real safety issues - bizarrely it was on a CC site when I had my tyres deliberately let down and valve damaged by a creepy guy. There’s an ancient thread on here about it somewhere - Funsters were very supportive! (y)

I have a good alarm system (Strikeback) and deadlocks on all doors. Also have a dog - a good deterrent. Breakdown assistance is part of the insurance cover.

If you wild camp, choose your spot sensibly and park up so that you can drive off without having to get out of the van. I’ve never had to leave a spot in a hurry but it’s good to know that you can if you have to. :)

Enjoy the adventure! (y)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
There was a solo lady full timer on the site I'm over wintering on a couple of weeks ago. We got chatting when she pulled on and ended up sharing a takeaway in my van. She was an Ecologist that tutored the length and breadth of the country, she was telling me that she didn't wild but used CS. She said she hadn't had a problem in the 3 years she'd had her van.

Good luck, and try not to worry, most people I meet and chat to seem like decent folk.

OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
It really puts my mind at ease reading your replies. Every time you turn on the TV these days, it someone warning you of what you should be afraid of or a rare tragic story that looks like a realistic possibility by the time you finish watching it! Thanks so much for the great feedback :)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
If you took heed of all the horror stories that you read about in the newspapers or watch on the TV then you'd never get out of bed! As long as you are sensible - and I'm sure that you are - then you have nothing to worry about. Happy travels. :)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It really puts my mind at ease reading your replies. Every time you turn on the TV these days, it someone warning you of what you should be afraid of or a rare tragic story that looks like a realistic possibility by the time you finish watching it! Thanks so much for the great feedback :)
Would just like to add that Fun is a great support network. I really appreciate the help and advice that I’ve received over the years. And that help is not just confined to the online forums. Several Funsters have helped me out in real life too. (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
ive Always wanted to travel in a Motorhome around Europe on my own and this year got my chance, came out a couple of months ago and now down in Spain for the warm weather ..... I intended/intend to stay out until March but I’ve really surprised myself by how lonely I get and I’m seriously considering my Motorhome life....

My Motto at the moment is “be careful what you wish for” :Eeek:

Don’t want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but it’s something to consider...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I intended/intend to stay out until March but I’ve really surprised myself by how lonely I get and I’m seriously considering my Motorhome life....
Don’t want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but it’s something to consider...
I think that all depends on why someone is going 'solo' doesn't it?
If you're 'solo' already looking to go fulltime, that's one thing but if recently 'solo' trying to get away, fulltime might increase the feeling of isolation.
All depends on circumstances.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think that all depends on why someone is going 'solo' doesn't it?
If you're 'solo' already looking to go fulltime, that's one thing but if recently 'solo' trying to get away, fulltime might increase the feeling of isolation.
All depends on circumstances.

Yes, too true...

It’s early days for me so plenty of time for things to change....

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are some female only fb sites. Very interesting and worth joining.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Welcome to Fun. I am solo and spent five weeks in France this year with a few other solo women. I think you just have to be sensible, I do not wild camp unless with others but stay mainly on camp sites. As someone else said, don't over think, but also be aware.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
A few weeks ago a friend had her handbag stolen while in Barcelona. Does this mean that all you lone females should shun Spain?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you don't have a van yet, try not to get a Ford Transit. They seem to be highly desirable for thieves at the moment, easy to get into. If you had a good alarm system, that might deter them.

However, don't let that put you off going solo. Just be careful don't take any chances and trust no one.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'm on my own and fulltime about a year now, have not left the UK yet, love exploring in winter. I don't wild, just feel safer on a cl or campsite, I did work on a campsite all through summer, way too young to retire, but not wanting to spend the rest of that time just working, there's more to life.
I do have the Strikeback alarm, which I can turn on at night if I'm not quite sure. Don't let the whole Ford Transit bit stop you, if the van you like is a Ford, then get a good alarm, being comfortable in an environment you like is really important. I spent a lot of time thinking and looking around at what kind of lay out would suit me and the kind of things I like doing. I am very happy with it.
And as to breaking down, touch wood, hasn't happened yet but breakdown cover comes with the insurance. I wouldn't consider doing any more 'maintenance' than check oil, water, tyre pressure etc.
My approach to life is that the vast majority of people are nice, be cautious yes, but don't let it hold you back. I by now have quite a few places where I keep going back, people are kind. Also getting involved here on Fun is good, people keep an eye out for each other, I get a text from one or another if I haven't been on-line for a while just to check that I am ok and I really appreciate that.
As to loneliness, again depends as to why you choose this life. I am a natural loner and it is suiting me ever so well. I still meet plenty of people.
Sadly there are still far too many patronising attitudes around and comments as 'aren't you brave driving something that big', really annoys me, but hopefully the more of us doing it, the better, more 'normal', it will get.
Give it a try, I just told myself to try for a year and I've decided now to add another year. But there's no shame in saying that it isn't for you, but if you don't try you will spend the rest of your life wondering what if.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Well said @SGNV
Another vote for OP to do her homework and get out there and enjoy herself.

Moira108

Free Member
Nov 26, 2017
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Swing
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've been travelling solo for about 18 months now. I won't say I haven't had any problems but none have been because I'm alone. I completely relate to SGNV's comment about the "aren't you brave" crew...my usual response is to say it's couples who are the brave ones...If I had to share my van with anyone (dog excepted), I'd probably be ready to strangle them after about a week!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've seen and met a few solo female travellers on my travels both last year and again this year ....I'd say it's quite common these days and in all different sizes of vans

I wouldn't be concerned about the wildcamping bit either as I've said on other threads it's highly unlikely to find criminal elements either lurking in waiting or randomly hunting love travellers in the middle of nowhere.

Campsites and places they know there's going to be camper vans etc are a much more likely hunting ground for them.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@bennyyorkie how is it going?

I lone travel and stay wherever I can.... can't afford to always be on an official site. Had couple of 'strange' experiences but nothing that has stopped me yet.

Be sensible but do silly things... if you park up in a layby and get out to turn the gas on in the locker, talk to an invisible person in the van ... "put the kettle on Bill." ;)
Don't sleep naked, so that you can jump up and drive STRAIGHT off if need be...don't notreverse in ...having made sure you put your keys where you know they are. . . But mainly ENJOY.. can be lonely even if you are used to being alone and don't want a relationship .. but mainly it's fine ... and hey ...YOU ARE A BABY ...WOW.. wish I had done it at your age. :)

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a solo male traveller (when my Princess is at home in France) and I am constantly being pestered by women who want me to take them off into the sun set and teach them the offside rule after I have cooked them a delicious Fray Bentos Steak And Ale pie...

I have never felt in real danger though because I wake up just as things are getting really worrying.

JJ :cool:

Julia199

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Nuevo Autosleeper
Exp
I’m a female solo traveller, cl sites and wild camping. My dear old dog is too old now to come with me which for this current solo Devon trip he is missed! But knowing he’s at home safe it’s all good. I’ve met several lonestars recently, one the other day was a lovely lady from Sweden with her little dog. We both got out the van in a car park and smiled at each other and she said you’re solo too! Yes and after a chat I said she should read the Salt path as just finished it and what a good read.
I usually trail a motorbike behind Henry (motorhome) which gets some attention which I always like to have a chat and encourage those who say I’d love to do something like that “then do it” I say. I also go fishing and usually an bustled up in big warm fishing jackets which cause confusion when hello mate you caught anything!

I must say it definitely makes you you travelling with you. With a partner it’s very different, lovely but different. With you you can do anything you want, get up and drive or walk or go anywhere you want. It’s a rare gift being with you you can do that,
I’ve got a really busy job and when I’m away from that I love to be walking or taking pictures or fishing or just reading tucked up listening to nature with a cup of coffee.

Make sure you have breakdown cover like the others have mentioned, and a decent power bank, ankor do some brilliant ones. Safety tips as all others have said, once I have to move the van from some rowdy folk but common sense is needed and listen to your gut.

Also don’t pack loads!! I fell into this trap and still do occasionally with my enthusiasm to do loads of stuff- when lumping hefty fishing kayaks from one side to the other, guitars and bodyboards it’s reminded me to not go mad next time and pack more considerably next time.

So glad I found this site ??

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I am a solo male traveller (when my Princess is at home in France) and I am constantly being pestered by women who want me to take them off into the sun set and teach them the offside rule after I have cooked them a delicious Fray Bentos Steak And Ale pie...

JJ :cool:

The famous no steak and ale pie, a must for any vegitarian. :D

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I was a solo female traveler for a while and i had the aren't you brave driving that big old thing! Yes i was lonely after travelling with my husband for a number of years then he passed away but i didn't want to stop travelling.
I joined a lone camper group called the phoenix gruop, they include men and women they have meets in various places enjoying lunched etc.
They travel abroad too.
I had to leave when i met Andrew as couples aren't allowed which in my mind is fair.

Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I'm a lone female traveller in a Romahome camper van, I no longer have a dog .
I tend to go to britstops if I can and stick with fun rallies and meets most of the time . When I get fed up of my own company I'll just head home , if I can I'll travel with friends , most of which I made through fun.
I am having a ball and owning my camper has opened a whole new life to me , I have never felt at risk and if the britstops have any entertainment , it's even better.
Go girl, it'll change your life ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back