Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I know this an old thread but still a good idea. I recently discovered that the cable lead through for my panels had come unstuck, a bit worrying because the same Sikoflex was used for the panels. But it was under the panel so I had to drill out the pop rivets to lift the panel so as to re fasten the plastic units. I decided that as under the panels was full of leaves and filthy I would hinge it on the door side which we always face to the sun. So I could clean under there regularly and work out a tilting system. Unfortunately I only had steel hinges so have to source some stainless or brass ones. But when done the gain was amazing, late afternoon mid September in the South of France went from 5 amp to 12 amp that is reading the output from my Bluetooth Victron meter with the other two panels covered. All I have to do now is find a good fixing system when down and an adjustable prop system. @Richard and Ann where did you get your hinges?
Steve
I wonder if you could use 1 or 2 car hatchback struts to pop the panel up. All you'd have to do then is take a bolt out and it pops up. Most would maybe be too powerfull so you'd need one for a small door or the ones that just open the rear glass would be weaker. Might look into it myself thinking about it :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We saw Jasper a couple of years ago at the Lowery. Old, bald but he had the whole audience in stitches, a wonderful evening.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The home brew tracker worked a treat. The only problem has been that we never kept a van long enough to fit the damn thing. Its sitting in the attic awaiting fixing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Picture above found on internet from
At only Ā£23.95
Or is that solution too easy or simplistic?
If mounted on roof near rear Heki roof light then one could reach out and raise/lower the panel without getting up on the roof from outside.
Les
That looks great. Would it be safe and secure enough for driving? This website caters to houses, not necessarily for motorhomes.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
American bloggers Gone With The Wynns very thorough article with test results on tilting solar panels.

Highlights:

Winter ā€“ The sun sits low on the horizon and the days are short. Tilting can increase solar output by 40%
Fall & Spring ā€“ The sun is getting higher on the horizon and the days are getting longer. Tilting can increase solar output by 20%
Summer ā€“ The sun is high and the days are long. Tilting provides little to no benefit, in fact if you tilt you may get less solar power

IS IT REALLY WORTH IT TO TILT MY RV SOLAR PANELS?
Back to that original question! The answer is yesā€¦and no. After tilting for nearly a year, hereā€™s the debate from my perspective:

ā€¢Tilting is TOTALLY worth it:
Who doesnā€™t want to get the most bang for their buck? 40% more ā€œfreeā€ power in winter is hard to say no to. (Granted itā€™s not free if you consider the cost of 6 tilting kits at $80 each. Itā€™s almost the same price as adding another solar panel. Perhaps a DIY tilting kit from the hardware store would be cheaper?)

ā€¢Tilting is NOT worth it:

We have room on our roof for more panels. Current price for a 160 Watt expansion panel is $630. We could install two more panels for less than $1,500 effectively increasing our summer solar output by more than 30% and nearly matching our tilted winter solar output. Iā€™d no longer have to climb on the roof each time we park, potentially scratch my RV while climbing the ladder with the tilting arms in hand, or worry about the extra stress on my roof or mounting brackets.

Keep in mind they have a 10+ meter giant American RV. Those with smaller motorhomes will be limited by how much space they have on the roof, and therefore adding tilt will help maximize the amount of energy you can get.

Also Europe is at a higher latitude than the US and therefore tilting will have a bigger benefit in the winter.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Has anybody fitted a panel to their roof that can be tilted? I'll be fitting a 150w panel when we get back, and I want it to be of use in Spain during September and October when the sun starts getting lower. We usually park with the awning facing west so we get good afternoon sun therefore the back of the van usually faces south.
I'm thinking maybe put a piano hinge at the back of the panel so the front lifts up 45 degrees. The front of the panel would maybe sit on aluminum 20 x 40 'unistrut' and have 2 scallop knobs to release it.

Anybody got thoughts or experience on this?
When we were in Germany we saw a van which had a solar panel attched to a TV arial which was raised and turnable. Thought it was interesting idea. Anyone else seen one?.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Yep
Works well for us(y), especially this time of year for that extra bit of oomph to the flat panels.
Great! Does 40% extra oomph sound about right? Which tilting brackets did you use?

I'd love to find someone that can install them for me. The few solar installers I've gotten quotes from don't want to use tilting brackets.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi @Fulltiming Felines
We use the automatic Oyster system that Two on tour detailed on his previous post but Richard and Ann does have a fair point :LOL:.
All the best.

Oct 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 Years
Just a thought guys - why mess with the panel, especially on a motorhome? Would anyone consider using a reflector or mirror surface to direct the sun to the panel instead? It could be removed and stored when done. :)

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just a thought guys - why mess with the panel, especially on a motorhome? Would anyone consider using a reflector or mirror surface to direct the sun to the panel instead? It could be removed and stored when done. :)
Would probably overheat the panel at some point, you'd have to be careful. Our panel gets hot enough as it is šŸ¤”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, I've thought of that previously but never got round to actually trying it to see what difference it makes although I think it should help quite a bit. It would need to be 'safe' in that it couldn't move or be blown off the roof and hit someone/something, so using a lightweight material like the stiffer silver sided bubble insulation might do it with a basic framework so long as it can be securely fixed to the panel which shouldn't be difficult.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Would probably overheat the panel at some point, you'd have to be careful. Our panel gets hot enough as it is šŸ¤”
I'd only use it in the winter when the sun isn't as powerful and when every extra bit of oomph is appreciated.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Easier to use this
1602063919106.png

<Broken link removed>

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

Great fun if your want to spend all day adjusting the reflector or mirror to keep the sun on the panel. ;)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Cheapest is to have a portable one that you can move into the sun and point at the optimum angle.
If you're worried about loss, alarm it or chain it to an immovable object.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Great fun if your want to spend all day adjusting the reflector or mirror to keep the sun on the panel. ;)
A curved reflector would mean less time having to be spent to move it though ...

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Had to adapt these hinges myself, can't get removable pin stainless anywhere. The fixed pin came out OK, just had to grind the small bit off the end and they knocked out. Then bought stainless rod on amazon. They are quite had to get in or out but I've left the mini padlocks on for safety šŸ‘Œ

So 4 removable pin hinges mean the panel can tilt either way.

20220326_120843.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back