Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
fat zero
We only plan to buy one motorhome, should we new or secondhand. Do they last 10 years or more, how old before its too old? thank you

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We only plan to buy one motorhome, should we new or secondhand. Do they last 10 years or more, how old before its too old? thank you

Second hand !

Let someone else take the big hit and manufacturing defects.

10 year old ones can be more substantial then new designs.

It's surprising how little some get used, ours was 4 years and 4000 miles when we bought it. I often notice vans for sale at this kind of mileage. We do about 5000 a year so even after 10 years the mechanics are little used.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Used is better - you save a fortune, and chances are, it has only be used a dozen times at most!

I have seen used for 15-20k less than new, and only have 5000 miles on the clock!

As with age, it depends what you are happy with. They will loose value quickly over the first few years, then level out to a relatively stable value. Once they are something like 15 years old, they bottom out at 7-10k which they pretty much stay at. Even a rusted out heap will get 5k!

With mileage, they will always be low. You will find many late 80's vehicles with only 50k on the clock, which if the body has been maintained well - then there is plenty of life left in it! I saw an old burstner on an 89 plate in a dealers, it was 'old' but on looking inside i was surprised on how nice it was - even knocked socks off some much newer models!

Have a look with open eyes and see what grabs you!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006

Hi,
We bought an old motorhome first to see if we liked it. We did, and then upgraded. Have you been motorhoming before? Do you want to spend 30/40k and then decide you don't like it.
I would go for old and learn the ropes, then go for it!
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Cam:thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Used every single time for me, 3-5 years old with about 10000 miles on it.

Can understand anyone buying new, though obviously someone has to :thumb:

Ive read all the threads about getting into a bed no-one else has slept in etc, but if it bothered me that much id still buy used and get a new matress (and still be £1000s better off!!!)

Most motorhomes sit on the driveway for 50 weeks of the year and do less than 2000 miles per year.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Our Kontiki was 12 years old when we bought it and we saved around £5000 buying private. It only had 30000 on the clock in 12 years. In 2 years we have done 23000 miles in it. I reckon the old ones are better than the new ones!

Cheers
BD

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My previous one was a 1989 Hobby on a Fiat Ducato base.. it had about 70k miles on it and never once missed a beat or caused any issues for us.

The ONLY reason we bought newer was the fact we wanted even more room than we had !

II sold that to a mate for about £8000... That was last year and hew has had 3 or 4 trips down to the south of france and the italian alps in it

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I wouldn't be too bothered about mileage as the engines are commercial and designed to go forever. More important is finding a good layout, checking everything works and getting the body work checked out. Our rear axle hadn't been maintained or greased like it should and it went last year. Cost £2600 to replace. so good service record is a must

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Second hand same reasons as above. Our Winne's 15 years old, doesn't look it inside or out and has around 56K on the clock, bearly run in:thumb:

As said look about if you go second hand, some people don't look after thier MH, or can't be bothered to clean it to sell, others, keep them as spotless as can be.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Just be careful of the DIY nutter I saw a Hymer that had more cable in it than the national grid

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
our motorhome celebrates its 20th year this year and is still going strong

Even if I was a multi millionaire I would always buy 2nd hand

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm definitely with the general trend here - older could well be better, not only because any teething problems should have been ironed out, but also because to my eyes at any rate the build quality and materials in a 10+ year-old motorhome seem significantly better than those being built today. High mileage doesn't bother me either, in fact I'd much rather buy a 15-year-old with 150,000 miles on the clock than an eight-year-old with only 3,000 miles.

The main, no the only, important thing is condition and how well the servicing and upkeep have been carried out. That's second only to the layout that's right for you, of course.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
pre-owned is term you need, look around both private and at a dealers, it just depends if you need the hand holding a dealer gives

I bought privatly but I dont like salesmen, but there are good guys out there.

If you need a motor home inspected and a report done there are compaines out there who will do it, but make sure you find the right layout first, I paid out for one only to find it wasn't the layout what we wanted.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yep we agree Used, often there are extras added to the m/h and we also bought privately, 8 yrs old, 15,000 on the clock , well looked afte..... we are very happy funster's
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
my N registered Topaz is looked after better than the wife:ROFLMAO: she tells me more often than I can remember, that I treat her like a mistress, ( the Topaz that is ) well its me age that keeps me at home :thumb: (all this is tongue in cheek of course):RollEyes:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
For us deffo pre owned

Our hymer 584 is built like a tank, 7 years old and well sorted

We took a look at the new hymers last year and the build quality is just not there anymore, and the depreciation on new is eye watering.

So Hengist ( thats it,s name) is going to be around for the duration

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo:thumb:

cornishaich

Free Member
Apr 5, 2010
West Cornwall.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A year.
Hi,
We bought an old motorhome first to see if we liked it. We did, and then upgraded. Have you been motorhoming before? Do you want to spend 30/40k and then decide you don't like it.
I would go for old and learn the ropes, then go for it!
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Cam:thumb:

We did exactly the same and absolutely no regrets.

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
We've had old bangers for years, usually kept them for a couple, got bored and changed to another. Then around 2 years ago came across our current van, Autosleepers Nuevo ES. Just under 3 years 55 plate, 2k on the clock. (traded in our old style Romahome towards it) It's by far the best we've had, no intention of changing it for a long while yet. Brilliant layout, perfect for the 2 of us. Now done 22k with many more to come over the weeks ahead.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Strange how nobody has so far come down in favour of buying new. Mind you, having read so many horror stories on here and other forums I'm not entirely surprised.

One other advantage in buying secondhand (OK then, pre-owned, pre-loved etc) is that you can see, prod and generally test and try the actual vehicle you are buying, rather than trusting to luck after signing on the dotted line to order a new one from the factory.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It says something about motorhome build quality when most of us would rather buy second hand than new because there will be fewer problems!

Just who is buying new? Somebody must be. I personally being a tight Yorkshireman no matter how much money I had I couldnt enjoy the experience knowing how much money had depreciated each year from new.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Financially you will always be better off buying a pre-owned van, the depreciation on a one year old van will be quite high.

Even our ex hire vans are still a good buy, bearing in mind they are valetted and serviced after every hire and well cared for by us.

Someone has to buy the new ones, but if you want to save brass, then pre-owned is the answer.

Hire vans start off as brand new but I never buy brand new cars, after 5000 miles they are 'used' so what!

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just who is buying new? Somebody must be.

If I remember correctly someone got proper grumpy with me when I said buy second hand. "Oh we couldn't bare one someone else has used, do not comment on this thread again" or suchlike.

I nearly asked "So I take it both of you were virgins when you married". But being the diplomatic kind hearted to a fault, considerate person that I am, I didn't.

Instead I thanked them for being the source of value vans for the rest of us.

Hmmm, what happens if they divorce ? By definition they can never then pair up with someone with their high standards.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
If I remember correctly someone got proper grumpy with me when I said buy second hand. "Oh we couldn't bare one someone else has used, do not comment on this thread again" or suchlike.

I nearly asked "So I take it both of you were virgins when you married". But being the diplomatic kind hearted to a fault, considerate person that I am, I didn't.

Instead I thanked them for being the source of value vans for the rest of us.

Hmmm, what happens if they divorce ? By definition they can never then pair up with someone with their high standards.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I dont get it either. Mrs D isnt happy to rent her house out as she doesnt want to think of other people sleeping in and using her house. Its 250 years old Oh Please!, we werent the first people to live in it. People stay in hotels and beds that hundreds of people have slept in. Whats the issue?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I dont get it either. Mrs D isnt happy to rent her house out as she doesnt want to think of other people sleeping in and using her house. Its 250 years old Oh Please!, we werent the first people to live in it. People stay in hotels and beds that hundreds of people have slept in. Whats the issue?

I can see her POV. Renting when you might or will return is not the same as buying second hand which is thorough clean, bit of customisation and it's *yours*.

There's a risk renting too. But many do and if it lets you live you dream you've got to take a bit if a risk.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We saved over £60K by buying a 5 year old low mileage Frankia compared to new.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Well i am new to motorhomes but not new to Camping and Caravans, seen this thread and noticed everyone saying buy secondhand, Well i am going to be the new one here lol...

I am buying new should be picking it up in 2 week's i understand the point you all are on about and how much you save with buying secondhand and not having faults etc to find but i have to say the pro's in my eyes out weight them more than buying secondhand,

I suppose i am in a different position than some as i am a Caravan fitter by trade so any small problems means no trip to the dealer, So i guess thats another reason why we are going new, There is also the feeling of picking up something so new and never used gives me a better feeling than buying secondhand,

I agree you can loose alot of money from driving out of the dealer if you are not careful, But someone has to take that step for you people to buy secondhand :)

It is down to everyones own ways and what you can afford or want to do with your money, We had a limit of £41k to buy and believe me i looked at everything even the amaerican RV's and was tempted, But we felt as i have always done for the last 12 years with my cars and that was to go new,

We were prob in a better postion than most people where we have no part ex no finance to have so when we ordered our Roller Team 707 we managed to get some good money off, For starters we saved £2500 on list price of the 130bhp engine version, Then we spec'd it with £3k worth of air con, Reversing Camera, 4m Canopy, Bigger fridge (for beer), Different Seating covering, Bike rack, and much more, I even got free insurance for the year, And having kids we needed bunks and there was not many out there that had the room we wanted.

No matter what you have whether new or second hand you are a proud owner of something special that alot of people could not afford so be happy with what ever you have.

Thanks

Craig

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am buying new should be picking it up in 2 week's
Craig

Thank you Sir.

From your message I can tell one of us is going to get a really super second hand van one day.

In the meantime just get out there and really enjoy it. Where is you first dream trip going to be ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back