Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello all

We have been in Greece for a week now and are having such a great time.

We have stayed on some fantastic wild camps, first at Ammoudia, and now Kanali overlooking the sea.

At Ammoudia we did a great Kayaking trip along the river about 10km, we say great wildlife, kingfishers, nightingales, adders, and a Beaver. The only problem I had was getting out of the kayak and fell into the river and made a right pr.t of my self, no change there then.

We have met up with some other people from another forum, and some great dutch people.

We are in Preveza and have just had a most delicious kebab on the port side.

We hope to get to Lefkada in the next few days, but we are in no hurry.

Hope all is well in UK.

Regards Pat and Neil

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Glad you are enjoying yourself, dont say fell in say you wanted to cool off

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Glad you are having such a good time . You have made me wonder though. If there was a good Kebab house on the port side, what was on the starboard side ?

Sorry, feeling jealous :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
camping forever.motorhoming 8years
sounds great! I'm planning to go to Zante for the summer, going through France first to visit family and friends, then driving around to Italy via the Almalfi coast, then ferry from maybe Ancora or bari to patras. I'd be in interested in which route you took and/or ferry?
I know the Almafi coast is supposed to be a bit hairy (!!haha) but I've only got a small VW and plenty of nerve and time, cant wait!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Cheers for the update Pat, wish I was there. Have a great trip the pair of you, come into chat and tell us all about it.

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
Great photos

Great photos from Greece 2009::bigsmile: Hopefully you will post some of this trip when you get time? We are planning a longish trip to Greece ourselves next Spring so are interested in yours. ::bigsmile:

Happy Holidays

Dave

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Have a great trip Pat, keep us updated and look forward to the pictures.:thumb: We will go when you get two EURO for a pound.:Eeek::roflmto: Bob and Jane.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello all

Still having a great time, still at the same place, the sea is so inviting and its and we are right there next to it.

Max and Hans left us yesterday to move on to Lefkades, we went there on the scooter and did 125 miles looking for a spot to move to. Lefkade is beautiful but it can wait to after the weekend.

Hot sunny with a nice breeze, had the best Lamb Kleftico yesterday.

Life is great, catch you all later.

Pat and Neil

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Still having a great time in sunny hot Kefalonia, still on our beach camping next to the sea.

Had a great time scootering about seeing the island, some of which is beautiful, havent gone south to the really touristy part, as dont want to spoil our love of Kefalonia.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Greece 2010 blog fully updated

We have just finished our Greece 2010 trip blog, you can view it via this link

www.neilandpat.blogspot.com

We had such a great time and would highly recommend travelling through Greece with a motorhome.

Pat and Neil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have just finished our Greece 2010 trip blog, you can view it via this link
www.neilandpat.blogspot.com
We had such a great time and would highly recommend travelling through Greece with a motorhome.
Pat and Neil

Very tempting !

I love "we got home 5 ours earlier than planned". If we manage +/- 5 days we're impressed.

I wonder if we'll ever see FUN The Greek Job :Smile:

It's such a long way at today's fuel/ferry prices. I know, if you have to ask....

Would it make a good winter trip ?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi you two, having been to Greece many times and love it, you got our taste buds going. (smile) I think its only a matter of time now.....................Great blog Neil (and Pat) hope to catch up soon. Bob.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Hi you two, having been to Greece many times and love it, you got our taste buds going. (smile) I think its only a matter of time now.....................Great blog Neil (and Pat) hope to catch up soon. Bob.

What he said!!

I've just PM'd you.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Very tempting !

I love "we got home 5 ours earlier than planned". If we manage +/- 5 days we're impressed.

It's such a long way at today's fuel/ferry prices. I know, if you have to ask....

Hi Brian

5 hours earlier than planned (have to keep to Annual Leave commitments), otherwise I dont think we would have been back that is for sure.

The FUN Greek Job, would be great.

Neil and I have discussed the fuel prices etc and its not much more than the Italy FUN trip, from Calais to Venice is 800 miles, Calais to Ancona is 905, give or take a few miles depending on route taken. The ferry takes out a lot of mileage from getting to Greece and managed to get the Return price from Anek Ferries at £300 last year it was £562 but that included a motorbike on a trailer.

We did a total of 2500 miles to and from our house (150 miles return to our house from Eurotunnel Folkestone) So actual miles we did travelling around Greece is about 500 miles. (which for us wasnt much compared to other travelling around).

As to a FUN trip unless it was during the months of June-Sept when most campsite are open. It would be harder but not impossible to arrange it for May-Jun,or September wildcamping, just to the logistics of organizing places to stay, just in case you unable to stop where you planned or have to move on due to the Police etc.

Winter can be a little wet in Greece, although I havent done it, there are some that have. I think Don Madge might be one, I know he goes to Turkey a few times.

What Greece can other is so much Culture, Mountains, Sea and fantastic coastline. The islands are great to explore too. The ability to do some fantastic wildcamping in places that you would have been happy to have paid a premium to stay at.

On speaking to lots of people who have travelled around Greece wildcamping it is definately something that is getting less easy to do. However on speaking from our own experience its a lot easier than most other European places. With exception of German stellaplatzes and French aires.

Hope that helps.

Pat

nickandchris

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
South Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Great write up on your Greek trip.Made me very nostalgic as we made it to Greece in our motorhome in 1997. Now we just fly to Greece every year and so recognised many of the places you visited.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Your trip is fabulous! You are so lucky!

Very tempting !

If you are thinking of going Brian we are all set for a Fun Greek job!!:Smile:
Lucille

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pat & Neil
Just had a read of your trip to Greece blog, glad you had a good time.
Greece is on our "to do" list, we will be interested in any future ventures.

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Thoroughly enjoyed your blog and thanks for a load of useful info. Our last trip into Greece was 10 years ago when we had a couple of nights stopover at Akrata Camping en route from Patras to Piraeus for the Cyprus ferry. We are off to the Pelopponese beginning of September for three weeks - ish and really looking forward to it. We don't really have a plan and intend to meander slowly round the coast. As we are just about to fit Gaslow I wondered if you had any info on availabilty of LPG in Greece.

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hello,

Thanks for reading our blog and commenting on it.

We had a lovely time in Greece, seems ages ago now.

The availability of LPG in Greece, we know there is one just outside Patras (probably in an industrial estate). But mainly they are in Athens with at least several there.

There are some showed near Preveza, but we couldnt find it.

If you are doing three weeks and have a couple of large bottles you should just about manage, more so if youre going on sites with EHU.

We actually run out the day before we left Greece, but then again we wild camped mainly.

I can give you some co-ordinates of the sat nav, but you will have to wait till my hubby is home for that.

Have fun

Pat

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Thoroughly enjoyed your blog and thanks for a load of useful info. Our last trip into Greece was 10 years ago when we had a couple of nights stopover at Akrata Camping en route from Patras to Piraeus for the Cyprus ferry. We are off to the Pelopponese beginning of September for three weeks - ish and really looking forward to it. We don't really have a plan and intend to meander slowly round the coast. As we are just about to fit Gaslow I wondered if you had any info on availabilty of LPG in Greece.

Hi,

We were in Greece in Dec & March 2010 on our way to and from Turkey and Crete.

In the larger towns/cities the taxis usually run on LPG so have a chat with a taxi driver and you might get lucky.

If you are planning to visit Athens this site is ideal for visiting all the cities attractions. The bus stop is close to the site entrance. It is also very convenient for Piraeus Port, 4 miles.

Camping Athens

GPS co-ords N38.008590 E23.671996

Large garden type site with the entrance off an 8 lane dual carriageway. There is some road noise during the day but is reasonably quiet at night.

Only a very small part of the site was in use, there were six units during our short (19/20 March) visit.

The English speaking staffs were very helpful.

COST.

Camper, two persons and electricity.

Up to 31/03/2010 €28 per night

After 31/03/2010 €29 per night.
There are no discounts available, they do except the plastic though.

This includes wifi with the best signal close to the office.

SITE FACILITIES.

Toilets very good, showers adequate, all very clean. Could be stretched in high season.

Shop and restaurant open in the high season.

There are no washing machines available.

LOCAL AMENITIES.
There are two supermarkets and an ATM within walking distance of the site.

ATM.
Turn left out of gate, Euro bank ATM on left in 10 minutes

Small supermarket, turn left out of gate s/m on left 5 minute walk.

Large AB Supermarket, turn right out of gate s/m on right, 15 minute walk.

LPG.
LPG is available within 2 miles
GPS co-ords N37.99304 E23.69742

The BP filling station looks like a scrap yard. As you enter the site the LPG pump is directly in front of you. We paid €0.69 per litre.

While we were waiting our turn they refilled a large camping gas bottle and a local 13 kg bottle. They had a set of adapters that would fit most bottles including calor gas bottles.

OBSERVATIONS.
When you drive out of the camp site you must turn right, within 200 metres there is a set of traffic lights where you can do a u turn.

I've noticed that many filling stations do not now except credit cards.

For LPG see http://www.gas-tankstellen.de/menu.php?jump=land&mode=lpg&land=GR&sort=Ort

Safe travelling

Don

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hello fom Sunny Greece