Full timing and picking up work (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never mind that. You have a campscout, what do you think of it. How old is it?
We :love: it ... We bought it new in April this year, made in 2017 but a dealer demo so never registered or used, quite happy about it being a 2017 model though as the boiler/heater is under the end of the nearside bed leaving the area under dinette seat free which is where the 2018 models have the boiler.

Some info here - a few more bits to add in due course:

https://globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I retired at 54 and now have 3 part time jobs in our villa.

Pool cleaner
Dog walker
Moving wine from fridge to her glass.
Don’t you employ someone to do that ?:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
We :love: it ... We bought it new in April this year, made in 2017 but a dealer demo so never registered or used, quite happy about it being a 2017 model though as the boiler/heater is under the end of the nearside bed leaving the area under dinette seat free which is where the 2018 models have the boiler.

Thank you. It is interesting to see a MH furnished. You see Them at shows and obviously they have nothing in, so look more spacious. But get the Bedding on the Beds etc and perspectives change.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010

Just read your very interesting website. Even though we don't have a Globecar and don't intend to change our motorhome I was fascinated by how much work you have done and your ingenious solutions. Well done, Mel. (@Minxy Girl)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How about teaching English as a foreign language on your travels?
I used to offer to help people learning & paying large amounts to colleges but got no takers.

Broader interests/activities than rock climbing, drinking wine and visiting museums would be a bonus ;)
Even those 3 would be more than I have:D
because with just a year or less on the site and you will be in the same position

The thing is Charlie. I have been in the same position as Ian . If you don't like the work nothing will make you do it.
It is only when you have responsibilities,wife, family, mortgage ,etc; that you have to swallow ; & even then sometimes you still have to walk:(.
Once you have shed those & are on the outside looking in you realise that there wasn't actually any point in whatever you were doing & there never was. So nothing is going to make you put up with doing anything you don't like, have no interest in, whatever amount of money is being offered.

Personally I believe that once you retire that should be it. Once you start drawing either a private pension or state pension it should be illegal to work, same as here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you. It is interesting to see a MH furnished. You see Them at shows and obviously they have nothing in, so look more spacious. But get the Bedding on the Beds etc and perspectives change.
Yes, our van looked lovely when empty but being able to use and enjoy it without being worried about stuff being damaged is why we've put covers on everything (we have 3 dogs) and the bedding does make a difference to the 'look' too ... it always makes me laugh when you see photos in brochures etc where they've tried to simulate someone living in one by putting a couple of pillows and a throw on a bed! :LOL: We do have quite a bit of bedding on ours though as I'm a cold bum so it may not be quite so 'bulky' in other people's vans! :D

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
I am 56, and now hate my job :-(. I have also had tow TIAs (mini strokes). I have a wad of money, enough to retire?, well I do not know when I am going to die, do I, but too much to sit doing a job I have come to hate :)
Anyway I am jacking work and we think we are going to buy a Campervan.
After reading the full timer costs thread, it sounds like we would not need to work.
However I am thinking that 56 is a bit young to be just wandering around drinking wine, rock climbing and visiting museums. Therefore I think that working in foreign parts for the odd month or three could be good for the mind, and top up our funds.
How easy is it to find work abroad, do people generally work cash in hand, only speakee Eeeenglishhh, so I can see that would be a problem, but maybe an opportunity

Regards working in France; to conform with French law you would have to register with the Chamber de Metiers and unless you met one of the few exceptions need to go on a one week course (in French) at a cost of around €600 before you can work for payment.

But there are lots of rocks to climb and museums to visit as well as good wine available. ;)

Jul 6, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 1995
I tried semi-retiring, aged 58, bought a house in rural France. Then a general election and Brexit crushed my consulting business. So I have been living full time in the Moho, working as a delivery driver. Tough to make ends meet, but house is now sold, soon all remaining debt will go, and a simple low-stress job will be enough to live on. Plan is to work for a while, then take some travel/play time, work some more etc. Pension in 7 years. Keeping it simple till then.

OP
OP
B

Bedspring

Free Member
Aug 31, 2017
Funster No
Crikey Alaska Guy, that sounds bad. having said that, do you regret your decision?

Jul 6, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 1995
Hi Bedspring. Yes, it can seem tough and I sometimes regret my decision to try semi-retirement, but that's on "down" days. I try and see it from the point of view that we are truly footloose! And the best part of minimum wage jobs is the low stress associated, just have to cope with the monthly bills.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will only give one bit of advice. Plan and save for a new van to replace your existing one.

I cocked up and am now struggling with an older van that is falling to pieces and don't have the cash immediately to replace it.

Once the new one is in place next year I will be saving on the basis of replacing it every 5 years. It is unlikely that I will replace it that soon but if I save on that basis I will have more money to spend on the next one.

Vehicles don't last forever, plan for replacement.

Jul 6, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 1995
Wise words. Mine is a 14.plate Bailey 740AA, and I hope to get 10 years and still have a small amount of equity value at the end of it. But the saving advice is bang on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back