Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Just leaving home for 5 nights at silverstone with my eldest son. Staying in the Motorhome at the Woodlands camping within the circuit itself I will fly the motorhome fun flag if there are any more funsters there please come and say hello and have drink with us.

Ged

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are very envious, hope the weather is kind and you have an amazing time. We'll think of you when watching on TV.

Would love to hear what it's like for future reference from a motorhoming perspective when you return. :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Wish you a great time Ged

The last memorable time I went is when a Brit won the British GP...Awesome time.

Hope this is an omen of good fortune for Jensen/Lewis.

Good luck Guys.:thumb:

2009 - Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Racing.
2008 - Lewis Hamilton, McLaren Mercedes.
2007 - Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari.
2006 - Fernando Alonso, Renault.
2005 - Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren Mercedes.
2004 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
2003 - Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari.
2002 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
2001 - Mika Häkkinen, McLaren Mercedes.
2000 - David Coulthard, McLaren Mercedes.
1999 - David Coulthard, McLaren Mercedes.
1998 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
1997 - Jacques Villeneuve, Williams-Renault.
1996 - Jacques Villeneuve, Williams-Renault.
1995 - Johnny Herbert, Benetton-Renault.
1994 - Damon Hill, Williams-Renault.
1993 - Alain Prost, Williams-Renault.
1992 - Nigel Mansell, Williams-Renault.
1991 - Nigel Mansell, Williams-Renault.
1990 - Alain Prost, Ferrari.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Thanks guys arrived around 8 ish so far so good this is the first year silverstone has had it's own campsite within silverstone circuit and I have to say it's better than some sites I have been on we have chosen the quiet family area, I am 200 yards from club corner yet surrounded by trees I could be anywhere stunning.
The lively are is near the main road and massive with an entertainment zone and food village, stage area for live bands.
There is a road around the camp and down every row, drinking water taps every 100 yards or so never seen as many not temp either.
I have been given a flyer with what's coming for 2011 they are just in the proccess of building a brand new purpose built club house, shop and toilets/showers the artist impression looks very nice all this and I have only paid £50.00 for 5 nights that was £35.00 for me and £15.00 for children and you can arrive from 8am Wednesday and stay until Monday bargain.
I will try and post some pictures on when I get back have not managed to work out how to download pics yet.
I hope someone who works for silverstone is a member of motorhome fun I may get a job on PR or free tickets for next year.

Ged

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Whhoo THATS GREAT VALUE please post some picts and get some flyers to scan for the site would love to back there one day last time i was there was masell and senna race in 1999 i think lucky you hope you both have a great week end your son will rember this for a lot of years i am sure of that

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
That sounds like great value. I'm sure our boys would love it too.
Have a great time .
I'm sure your son will love having you all to him self at a place like that. What a great place for a bit of father son bonding .
Try and post some pics.
Bev

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
you lucky sod, I ALWAYS wanted to that, no time, no money,or both, get lots of info for next year, maybe we can have a funsters meet at the nxt gp

have a great time, will be whatching out for the flag on tv, dont forget to wave it

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Our oldie is up there as well with one of regulars - Father and Son go every year, lovely to see them spending time together as often parents and children grow apart as they get older...but these two are close. Great to see!

Have a great time Mizar! You might even spot Rainbow 1!

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
you lucky sod, I ALWAYS wanted to that, no time, no money,or both, get lots of info for next year, maybe we can have a funsters meet at the nxt gp

have a great time, will be whatching out for the flag on tv, dont forget to wave it

Proper camp facilities, within the circuit, I'll second what he said:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not being a racing fan I never watch it the only time I'd ever seen it was on telly and it really is akin to watching paint dry. But I went to Silverstone for a Grand Prix years ago , I think Nigel Mansel won that year I quite enjoyed it. The thing you don't get on the TV is the smell and the noise and these things really ingrain the experience. I didn't pay too much attention to the racing as I was looking after a couple of Page three girls that day (tough Job :Smile:) but I always threatened to go back when not working and never have. One of these days maybe.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just leaving home for 5 nights at silverstone with my eldest son. Staying in the Motorhome at the Woodlands camping within the circuit itself I will fly the motorhome fun flag if there are any more funsters there please come and say hello and have drink with us.

Ged

Just found your post great information, great that you can camp at the circuit again, not been there since they stopped parking at Hen Wood across the road, think we will have to give this some serious thought for next year, please pictures if you can and let us know how you get on. Carol (on behalf of Eddie) ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Not being a racing fan I never watch it the only time I'd ever seen it was on telly and it really is akin to watching paint dry. But I went to Silverstone for a Grand Prix years ago , I think Nigel Mansel won that year I quite enjoyed it. The thing you don't get on the TV is the smell and the noise and these things really ingrain the experience. I didn't pay too much attention to the racing as I was looking after a couple of Page three girls that day (tough Job :Smile:) but I always threatened to go back when not working and never have. One of these days maybe.

Jim you have it the nail on the head on tv it does not come across somtimes too exciting but it's the event that's the occasion the atmosphere around silverstone for 3 days is awsome, it's now 11.30 pm on the Sunday we are knackered we have had how pictures taken with Jenson Button seen some good racing been to 3 mini Pop concerts on the campsite, seen Chico Jamie Affro. Eddie Jordon came to the camp last night and didva few numbers on the drums. Very family orientated camping it would make a great funsters meet.
The weather has helped too I will try and upload some pictures in the next few days.
Ged

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ged did you have to have race tickets seperately? what could you see from the camp?

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
You do have to have race tickets to be able to camp there on the race weekend.
you cant see any of the track from the camp as you are in the woods behind stowe corner.
Hope that helps i will try and put some pics on but every time i download them on to an album it says download failed.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
i am stoppping off for the classic and concerts weekend. booked in at whittlebury behind the track. great weekend last year. is the track campsite a new layout ?? . i heard there was to be a facility put in place.but was not available when we booked

glyn:thumb:

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
i am stoppping off for the classic and concerts weekend. booked in at whittlebury behind the track. great weekend last year. is the track campsite a new layout ?? . i heard there was to be a facility put in place.but was not available when we booked

glyn:thumb:

Glyn

Yes its a new facility well the field has been used for camping before but the land was sold last year to silverstone limited and it is now marketed under the silverstone brand and a lot of improvements have been carried out.

Ged

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the land was sold last year to silverstone limited and it is now marketed under the silverstone brand and a lot of improvements have been carried out.
Ged

Very sad, Donnington vandalised. This seems to have shaken Silverstone out of it's old boy apathy and injected new life into it, big time. Good for the UK.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Wish you a great time Ged

The last memorable time I went is when a Brit won the British GP...Awesome time.

Hope this is an omen of good fortune for Jensen/Lewis.

Good luck Guys.:thumb:

2009 - Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull Racing.
2008 - Lewis Hamilton, McLaren Mercedes.
2007 - Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari.
2006 - Fernando Alonso, Renault.
2005 - Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren Mercedes.
2004 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
2003 - Rubens Barrichello, Ferrari.
2002 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
2001 - Mika Häkkinen, McLaren Mercedes.
2000 - David Coulthard, McLaren Mercedes.
1999 - David Coulthard, McLaren Mercedes.
1998 - Michael Schumacher, Ferrari.
1997 - Jacques Villeneuve, Williams-Renault.
1996 - Jacques Villeneuve, Williams-Renault.
1995 - Johnny Herbert, Benetton-Renault.
1994 - Damon Hill, Williams-Renault.
1993 - Alain Prost, Williams-Renault.
1992 - Nigel Mansell, Williams-Renault.
1991 - Nigel Mansell, Williams-Renault.
1990 - Alain Prost, Ferrari.

the last time i went to the british gp was in 1991, fond memories tent on the back of my Honda camped over night won as stated by Nigel,it was great seeing him give Senna a lift back after the race as he had run out of gas:roflmto:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Have you been to Spa, Monaco or any other GPs in Europe?

I would love to do monaco really love to.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you been to Spa, Monaco or any other GPs in Europe?

I would love to do monaco really love to.

A few years ago we were on Maggiore and the weather towards home looked bad so I said "blow it we'll go the other way". A few hours later we were her.
http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&l...79,7.601315&cbp=12,0,,0,5&photoid=po-26707287
It was a Sunday. We opened our room window, top left, and heard a noise, bit like thunder. It was only a bit later we saw on TV it was Monaco GP day. The pasta was to die for, nearly did they gave us so much.

So Monday we rode into town. Parked more or less on the course and had a walk round. Fascinating. Everything was *so* small. The teams were working out of shoe boxes. "Pits" were almost containers dumped on bits of carpark or grass. It must be the most absurd place they ever race at. Great place, must be a bit difficult in a MH.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tank you very much !

Just got back, we had a great time. Would not have done this but for the original message here.

The campsite is great. Too many loos. Hook up a bit of a rip off but we did not need it. Good security. Too quiet ! Very family orientated. Last bike campsite was Monza, wall to wall bikes and noise. I guess both are good.

Silverstone itself. Just brilliant. A revelation after Donnington. Loads of nice clean loos. Loads of stands. Nice polite security everywhere. I was at the pit lane entrance, the guard asked if we had a pass, I said no, so he said "well if you want to take a quick picture, go ahead." Lovely young man.

We concentrated on the Luffield stand ( all included at £50 for 3 days ) and were not disappointed. They must have balls of steel to tackle Woodcote. What an awesome bend.

The racing was pure nail biting and Brits 1,2,3 on both main races.

Getting out was another matter. After an hour of not getting to the exit gate we parked on the grass, put the kettle on and looked at Autoroute. At the roundabout by the gate there were two rows of barely moving traffic up the dual carriageway and a little side road no-one was using. Autoroute showed if cut across country to Buckingham. We were on this quite quickly and we hit the M40 before the other got to the end of the dual carriageway.

Great weekend. Thanks Mizar.

OP
OP
Mizar

Mizar

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Brian

I am glad you had a good time i was very impressed with the campsite and silverstone myself and when the new building clubhouse and toilets etc on the camp are built next year should be great.
Don't suppose they would give the fun members a discount but it would be a great place for a meet for us motorsport fans but i suppose they will look at it its busy enough when there is an event on.
Just out of interest i never asked but how much was the electric.

Ged

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian

I am glad you had a good time i was very impressed with the campsite and silverstone myself and when the new building clubhouse and toilets etc on the camp are built next year should be great.
Don't suppose they would give the fun members a discount but it would be a great place for a meet for us motorsport fans but i suppose they will look at it its busy enough when there is an event on.
Just out of interest i never asked but how much was the electric.

Ged

Electric £30 !!!!

Club house has a problem. It will always be too far from most campers, they will still need the portaloos.

I've just looked on Google Maps, the new circuit is showing but nothing of the campsite. All that groundwork, fencing, bike park all done almost yesterday. Good to see someone willing to spend.

As Arnie said "I'll be back". Probably. £70 pp for the camping and racing is one good deal.

Time to go

Free Member
Sep 17, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1st Year
Silverstone 2011

Hi everyone, newbie to MF and this is my first post.

Just bought my F1 tickets for Silverstone 2011. Also booked the Woodlands camping, I will be in the lively area.

I have also bought tickets for Monza 2011, anybody used the campsite within the circuit?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have also bought tickets for Monza 2011, anybody used the campsite within the circuit?

Sure have. It leans on the main straight armco, such that if you get there early and back up to it you may not need tickets, people had scaffolding and chairs on their roofs.

It a lovely big field full of trees, a park in fact. Loads of random hook up cabinets. No marked pitches. No booking.

Now we went for WSB in May but I assume the rules are the same, first come first served. We arrived Wednesday to a near empty field, by Thursday night it was FULL.

Reasonable bar/snacks.

It's a fair walk to the entrance. The circuit is poor for spectators, flat and loads of trees ( it was a park and even 100 years ago they had tree hugger protesters ) so from any one position you never get The Big Picture.

We fell in love with Maggiore when we went first time, I urge you to camp in Cannero Riviera for a few days. Failing that carry on and stop in Camping Butterfly, Pesciera del Garda.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back