Time for a Globecar (1 Viewer)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Andrew I don’t want to put a downer on it, but you won’t harvest much solar power in Northern Scotland in the middle of winter.
Take a genny. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Blue Knight

We've now got our new fridge freezer fitted and it is a lot better than the original stupid one we had, so if you've got the mark 2 version I would think you won't have a problem as the freezer box is properly insulated now and has separate cooling from the fridge, the mark 1 version uses the same 'tube' to cool both it and the freezer! You can identify them easily from looking at the below photos - the one on the left doesn't have the moulded handle in the front.

Mark 1 version freezer ............................................ Mark 2 version freezer

fridge.png

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
@Blue Knight

We've now got our new fridge freezer fitted and it is a lot better than the original stupid one we had, so if you've got the mark 2 version I would think you won't have a problem as the freezer box is properly insulated now and has separate cooling from the fridge, the mark 1 version uses the same 'tube' to cool both it and the freezer! You can identify them easily from looking at the below photos - the one on the left doesn't have the moulded handle in the front.

Mark 1 version freezer ............................................ Mark 2 version freezer

View attachment 266130
I noticed the Campscout Revolution now has a tall compressor fridge, the Freezer compartment is tiny, and has really thick walls on it, I presume that is the MK2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew I don’t want to put a downer on it, but you won’t harvest much solar power in Northern Scotland in the middle of winter.
Take a genny. :)

I may just hand the back out of the passenger window if we find ourselves in Scotland over Xmas.

You're right though; the solar system will be as much good as a chocolate fireguard up there :D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight

View attachment 266130

@Minxy Girl @jezport

Yes guys, I think we do have the mark-2 fridge in the Summit 640. The 2019 brochure highlights the fridge capacity as being an 80/10 split between the fridge and the freezer so that was the same as the 2018 version too (I think ???)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I've had a few chats with the dealer today and it seems that my new van will come with a Varta LA95 and Ive asked for an LRM1218 too instead of the LR1218.

Globecar 'apparently' only recommend the LA95 so they won't change out the single LA95 for 2 x LFD90 batteries which is my preferred choice.

A shame, but hey-ho.:(

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I've had a few chats with the dealer today and it seems that my new van will come with a Varta LA95 and Ive asked for an LRM1218 too instead of the LR1218.

Globecar 'apparently' only recommend the LA95 so they won't change out the single LA95 for 2 x LFD90 batteries which is my preferred choice.

My dealer changed my 1 battery for 2 matched Duracell AGMs as part of the deal

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
My dealer changed my 1 battery for 2 matched Duracell AGMs as part of the deal

I do find it a tad frustrating when there is no common rule book; one dealer says yes, one dealer says no.

Thanks for the info though :)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A quick update for you fine Funsters:

I've just been informed that our new van is not equipped with a Shaudt EBL but instead I have the CBE BUS system as what you find in the Frankias.

I have to say that my dealer has been really helpful with this issue so well done SMC.:cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

That sounds like spherical bull appendages to me! :D

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
@Blue Knight

View attachment 266130

Do you know if it still needs the recommended ambient temp of 16 degrees for the freezer to work properly? I think this is my big concern at the moment (along with power requirements - but I'm hoping to hear how you fare on that aspect too).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you know if it still needs the recommended ambient temp of 16 degrees for the freezer to work properly? I think this is my big concern at the moment (along with power requirements - but I'm hoping to hear how you fare on that aspect too).
Relevant info from the booklet below, I'll report how we get on with it in due course:

IMG_20181108_194113[1].jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

I'm getting the impression that all D-Line Globecars are equipped with the Schaudt EBL119 while all H-Line vans come with the CBE BUS system.

Hi Karen @Wombles, are you able to check your H-Line Summit and see if you've got the CBE system; if so my then my theory may be correct.

Different factories, different gear.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just dug out the old fridge booklet and the new freezer is 6.4L whereas the old one was 6.5L so we've 'lost' 100ml of space ... equivalent to a few slices of cooked ham ... not a bad exchange for getting a properly insulated freezer! :D

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Team,

I'm getting the impression that all D-Line Globecars are equipped with the Schaudt EBL119 while all H-Line vans come with the CBE BUS system.

Hi Karen @Wombles, are you able to check your H-Line Summit and see if you've got the CBE system; if so my then my theory may be correct.

Different factories, different gear.
Hi - can't check the Summit tonight but our manuals are for the CBE 510/516. It says it's suitable for lead acid, AGM & gel batteries in the manual as it has a three position switch. We understand that H Lines are different from D Lines & they are produced in a separate Poessl factory so not on production lines at Dethleffs.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi - can't check the Summit tonight but our manuals are for the CBE 510/516. It says it's suitable for lead acid, AGM & gel batteries in the manual as it has a three position switch. We understand that H Lines are different from D Lines & they are produced in a separate Poessl factory so not on production lines at Dethleffs.

Fantastic, that's it then Karen; all H-Line vans including the Summit pair are produced with the CBE BUS system instead of the Schaudt unit.:)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I've just dug out the old fridge booklet and the new freezer is 6.4L whereas the old one was 6.5L so we've 'lost' 100ml of space ... equivalent to a few slices of cooked ham ... not a bad exchange for getting a properly insulated freezer! :D
Yes but compare that to the 12 litres in my 3 way fridge and its a big difference.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes but compare that to the 12 litres in my 3 way fridge and its a big difference.

Its like going back to the 60s when fridges just had a tiny corner freezer. I didnt spend the money did on a new van to get an archaic freezer! They should fit proper ones, not toys.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Its like going back to the 60s when fridges just had a tiny corner freezer. I didnt spend the money did on a new van to get an archaic freezer! They should fit proper ones, not toys.

Some of the fridge sizes on PVCs are truly shocking. The pic below is of the fridge in a Hymer car Ayres Rock with only a handful of litres in capacity.

It's the grey door on the end which on first examination we believed it to be the dustbin for the van.:whistle:

Ayers-Rock-11-e1535032586174.jpg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Some of the fridge sizes on PVCs are truly shocking. The pic below is of the fridge in a Hymer car Ayres Rock with only a handful of litres in capacity.

It's the grey door on the end which on first examination we believed it to be the dustbin for the van.:whistle:

View attachment 266372
Thats why after our first look we said no to the Hymer.

They can tell you all the bull that they want but its down to money, small fridge is cheaper, compressor fridge is cheaper as no vents and no gas work is needed.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thats why after our first look we said no to the Hymer.

They can tell you all the bull that they want but its down to money, small fridge is cheaper, compressor fridge is cheaper as no vents and no gas work is needed.

We looked at the Hymer-Merc Grand Canyon 4x4 and in the end we just couldn't come to terms with buying a van where we had to compromise on so many bits.

I can also see your point about the fridge but I have to admit that I've read posts by people who feel thoroughly liberated by having the simplicity of an electric fridge.

I'll tell you what I think in a few months (y)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018

View attachment 266372

One man’s meat is another man’s poison ... that would be my choice of fridge . It suits our veggie lifestyle, is easy to access and gives a nice open feel to the van.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
One man’s meat is another man’s poison ... that would be my choice of fridge . It suits our veggie lifestyle, is easy to access and gives a nice open feel to the van.

Has your dealer managed to give you an update on your van yet. ;)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Sadly not, and I’d be really struggling to pick it up before Christmas now as I teach full time and have something on every weekend.

On a more positive note I was at the Page of the Sea Remembrance event on Ayr beach this morning and met a lovely man with an otter hound. He was saying how he would love a van conversion with a raising bed but didn’t think there was such a thing so would have to have one built. So I was able to point him in the right direction :D.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sadly not, and I’d be really struggling to pick it up before Christmas now as I teach full time and have something on every weekend.

On a more positive note I was at the Page of the Sea Remembrance event on Ayr beach this morning and met a lovely man with an otter hound. He was saying how he would love a van conversion with a raising bed but didn’t think there was such a thing so would have to have one built. So I was able to point him in the right direction :D.

Wow, what a wait you have had, at least you have plenty to look forward to in 2019.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
So I was able to point him in the right direction :D.

.......did you tell him to go and buy a Hymercar as he'll have it months before a Globecar order
:D

I hate to say it but I only started this thread 2-months ago and in 13-days we'll be collecting our new van.

I do hope that you receive some form of sweetener from the dealer for any inconvenience caused.

Good luck,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

I've just clicked on the www.globecar.co.uk website and on the rolling adverts at the top it mentions that a Globecar comes with a free 'All Inclusive Pack' worth £1,595.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had this deal price applied to a recent Globecar purchase as I've not seen any evidence of it in the advertised prices on the various dealer web pages.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A big day today guys - Nicky and I picked up our new Globecar this morning and to say we are thrilled with the van is an understatement.

I can now see why you fine Globecar folk love your Campscouts and Revolutions so much as it was an absolute pleasure to drive the 138-mile trip home today. We loved our Pilote coachbuilt but the Globecar PVC on the maxi chassis is like driving a large, responsive and agile car with no wobbles whatsoever on the road. Incredible (y)

Also, we never really appreciated the great build quality until our handover today so that's a big bonus too.

Mel @Minxy Girl - I need to send you a quick PM.

Best Wishes to all,

Andrew

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We looked at the Hymer-Merc Grand Canyon 4x4 and in the end we just couldn't come to terms with buying a van where we had to compromise on so many bits.

I can also see your point about the fridge but I have to admit that I've read posts by people who feel thoroughly liberated by having the simplicity of an electric fridge.

I'll tell you what I think in a few months (y)

Andrew, I quite like the look of the Hymer Grand Canyon on merc, the ones I have browsed online in Germany have had big fridges, what were the other issues with it?
I see Tyne Valley have a 4x4 one in but what a price. 82 grand and that's the reduced price.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, I quite like the look of the Hymer Grand Canyon on merc, the ones I have browsed online in Germany have had big fridges, what were the other issues with it?
I see Tyne Valley have a 4x4 one in but what a price. 82 grand and that's the reduced price.

Hi Paul,

We loved the 'unique' look of the Grand Canyon with its Merc 4x4 Auto setup but compared to our final Summit 640 selection it is miles behind in lots of ways.

A few of my thoughts:

1. The Merc is a narrow vehicle and this is reflected in the living space which for my size is quite restrictive.

2. Hymer have had to fit the window pods just to allow people of 1.8m+ height to sleep laterally.

3. The Merc bit adds £6K to the bill over the Fiat choice while the 4x4 option adds a further £11,000; the pop-top added £4,500 and the auto added several thousand more so you have to really want one - if you know what I mean.

4. The solar unit (Not standard) needs a good engineer to fit properly and TVM were not keen to add one to the pop top roof. That said, they are still very much new to this kind of thing and need time to develop their knowledge of Hymer vehicles.

5. The Merc dash was dated and incredibly dull.

6. The Merc seats struggle to rotate properly as the seats scrape against the doors. The van is so narrow in PVC-guise that the seats are a PITA to operate correctly.

7. The Hymer just didn't do it for me in terms of quality compared to my final choice.

8. The fridge looked a bit naff.

9. This is a typical Hymer so you need a PhD in the spec list to help make an informed decision on what you really need.

10. Resale value - this is a big one for me. The 4x4 Merc Auto GC is a bit of a lemon in the MoHo world as far as I can see. It is a real novelty van but at £25-30,000 more than a good quality 'normal' PVC it is something which 99.9% of potential buyers really struggle with. You could buy it but I reckon you'll lose a whole load of money at PX time.

There are other things Paul but those were the main issues for me, especially the potential huge loss of money at PX time.

All the best,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back